Gas hits 4.00 a Gal & a rice shortage..

gottaloveem

One of my moms depression era meals she had growing up is railroad hash,
My grandmas version was:
ground beef
diced carrots
diced potatoes
beef broth ( my mom used water and a beef bullion cube)

brown the ground beef in a pot, add veggies and broth, cook till veggies are done. thicken the broth with-cornstarch and water.

She made bologna stew too! I wouldn't touch that with- a ten foot pole, both when I was little or now.

BusynMember

We don't buy any food that isn't essential anymore, and we don't drive anything with a bigger gas tank then 4 cylinders. Also, hub quit smoking, one good thing.

trinityroyal

Gas prices have broken the $1.20 per litre barrier around here. I've seen $1.22, $1.25 and $1.28, depending on the neighbourhood (I think that works out to about $4.80 per gallon)

We are making far fewer trips out than we used to, and I am walking to whichever ones I can manage. With husband's back and knees and arthritis, he can't walk so much, but he has cut down on the places he needs to go and will often make one trip for everything.

I have started to use my bike more too. I live too far from work to ride my bike there, but things like the grocery store, drug store etc. are within reach.

We have stopped buying processed and prepared foods, have cut out rice and pasta completely, and only buy small quantities of bread for Little easy child. We are cooking from scratch a lot more and not going out to eat at all.

susiestar

Roll With It
We pretty much stay home. It just is too expensive to go anywhere, and we live quite a ways out of town. My bro picked up a table for me at an estate sale, and was gritching about the gas. I paid him for his gas and a little extra, cause I know things are tight for him. But they are tight for us too.

The price of my medications is skyrocketting. I am so afraid the insurance co will put a max on the amount they will pay for medications for each of us. Right now there is no max, but they ARE pushing us to use THEIR pharmacy and get 3 months of a medication at once. OF course when they send it in HUGE styrofoam coolers it makes the shipping a LOT more.

But we take the coolers and cold packs from the pharmacy when we go to town, it makes sure if we eat out we can safely take the leftovers home. We do this maybe once a month, but the coolers do come in handy.

husband went and bought 2 20 pound sacks of rice - one is basmati and one is regular. He went to the International Food Store and the prices were quite a bit lower than Wallie World.

We also just got a LOT of food in from ShareColorado. The produce is really really good, and the meat is excellent. Very high quality at very reasonable prices. Tomorrow is stir fry!!

I urge anyone with a freezer to see if ShareColorado is in your area!! It is for anyone who eats, no income requirements. The organic beef is so wonderful, and so much less expensive than the grocery store.

I have most of the Top Secret Recipe Books. We are using them instead of going out - the kids are starting to have as much fun cooking as going out!!!