Gcvmom? How are...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, gee, TM -- thanks for asking! (by the way, easy child keeps asking if there's a message from Duckie :) )

difficult child 1 wrapped up his neuropsychologist evaluation last week and I go in next Thursday for the results. I still have to finish my paperwork for the school's evaluation and hope to do that before they go back to school on Monday.

difficult child 1 has a nasty cough and likely sinus infection, which made his asthma flare up. The allergy doctor rx'd augmentin (HORSE PILLS) and bumped up his inhaler strength and gave me prednisone "just in case". We're watching his peak flow numbers and if they aren't improved by today, we're supposed to start the pred. Ugh. He gets nasty on pred, so I'm hoping the numbers are better (he's still sleeping!)

difficult child 2 seems to be doing very well. He was also sick last week (easy child started it all, thankyouverymuch) and part of this week with a high fever which faded into a productive cough and nasal congestion. Lovely. The cough's getting better, tho.

We added Depakote ER about two or three weeks ago, and that really seemed to nip the hypomania well. He was still having concentration/focus/attention issues, so psychiatrist okayed me putting him back on the Daytrana patch (only 5mg), and he seems to be tolerating it well. At Easter, extended family really noticed how calm and focused he was (YAY!). Although his other medications are at fairly high dosages, he certainly does not behave like someone who is overmedicated, so that's what the psychiatrist tends to go by.

Both boys have their psychiatrist follow-up on Monday. Not sure if we'll see if we can reduce the Seroquel XR for difficult child 2 a hair (he would sleep all day if I let him and I'm sure it's due to the high evening dose), or maybe it would be best to wait until June when school gets out. No need to rock the boat!

That's it in a nutshell! Thanks for asking.

Hope everyone in your house is finally healthy! Our Spring Break has been very boring because of this danged bug they all caught.

tiredmommy

Well... it sounds like difficult child 1 and Duckie have a lot in common with their asthma. Prednisolone is currently a bad word around here. My fingers are crossed that the peak flow numbers are good.

I'm glad difficult child 2 has settled adequately. I agree that you should wait to play with the medication mix more until school is out... why chance more problems? He's such a good kid!

I'll try to have Duckie email easy child tonight or Saturday. She'll be glad to know she was asked after. :)

Serve lots of clear liquids and soup this weekend so they all get back to school next week! :winks:

smallworld

Thanks for the update. Sorry about the traveling illness.

I learned something interesting about Seroquel XR this week. It peaks 4 to 5 hours after taking it, and that's when the sedative effect sets in. What time are you giving difficult child 2 his Seroquel XR doses?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
SW, he takes 700mg at 9:30pm and 400mg at 12:30pm (lunch break at school). The Depakote ER is given at bedtime, too (500mg) and another 250mg when he gets up in the morning.

TM, bad news on the peak flow numbers... he's only blowing 250 this morning, and yesterday it was in the low 300's. Waiting for a call back from the doctor. Looks like we'll be starting the pred today. :( At least it's only for a few days. I think I'll ask for a doctor's note for PE next week as well.

This has been one of the most boring Spring Breaks ever. :( Well, at least not going anywhere is saving us money! :p

M

ML

Relating here. Manster should blow over 300 and has been blowing 200 and if it isn't steadily 250 by Monday he's back in. He gets the same way! Sometimes mucinex helps with the sinus cough. I feel your pain! Hugs, ML

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Sorry ladies, all this blowing really blows.

I hope the pred does not trigger him, and it works ASAP.
Sometimes saving money is a pain, but good in the long run.
You could spend it on the chickies, give them a pretend getaway from the Coyotes.

tiredmommy

Now Duckie is only 8yo, but 250 is her top number! Does your doctor give samples? Our allergist has me under strict orders to pick up 220mg Asmanex from the office at the first sign of a cold rather than giving her 2x the 110mg daily dose she's prescribed. I've probably saved at least a full co-pay by doing this over the winter!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow. That seems really low to me. When difficult child 1's doing really well (and I'm remembering to have him take his Advair daily) his numbers are in the low 400's. Yes, they do give us samples -- they gave me 50 5mg prednisone tabs and an Advair 500/50 discus with apologies for not giving me more because it was their last one! I've walked out of there with three months worth of medications in the past, so that's a huge bonus.

Anyhow, difficult child 1's started at 40mg pred this afternoon, then I give him 20mg at 8pm, then 40mg again in the morning and am instructed to call the office with an update.

smallworld

We are considering switching J from 600 mg regular Seroquel to 600 mg Seroquel XR. We currently give it to him at 9 pm, but his psychiatrist said if we switch to XR, we should be giving it between 5 and 6 pm so the sedation kicks in when he should be going to bed. The way you're giving it now, difficult child 2's evening dose is peaking between 1:30 and 2:30 am, which might contribute to morning fatigue. I'm wondering if you should back your evening dose up. But I don't know when you'd give your afternoon dose -- maybe leave it alone???

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'll let you know what the psychiatrist suggests after the appointment on Monday. It's problematic, the sedation. I think it's one reason his math grades have tanked this year.

On another note, difficult child 1 is very oppositional and easily agitated today -- no doubt the steroids he's been inhaling the past week, combined now the oral prednisone jolt he got today. I wonder if there's anything we can do to combat this or if we just have to ride it out. He'll be on the pred for a week total, I think.

tiredmommy

I actually hid... err, took frequent breaks in the laundry room last time Duckie was 'roiding. It was the only place she couldn't seem to find me. She talked non-stop and was a tad emotional. Good luck, I hope difficult child 1 doesn't get too out of hand.