gcvmom

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:D Thank you! That's Herbert (taken this afternoon). easy child and I were comparing pictures of her the day she came to live with us -- her comb has doubled in size, so I feel it's pretty safe to say she must have been a very young hen when we got her.

She's adjusted quite well to her new home. We just finished putting up a 2ft chicken wire fence along a 100ft section of our hill next to the neighbor's yard (no fence between the properties) to discourage her from roaming up there. So far she hasn't figured out how to go around the ends. She's very programmed to staying within specific areas of the yard... it's pretty funny actually. She doesn't wander down the side of the house and she doesn't wander past her coop towards the back where there's another slope going down to a cactus patch and open space (where the coyotes and bobcats roam!)

She's content to just stay in the yard and the flower beds... and of course napping on the patio, waiting for someone to come out with a treat! When it's time to lay her egg, she makes her way back to the coop to a plastic bin we have set up with newspaper and pine shavings. Then she's back out the yard, scratching for bugs, clover, and dandelion greens.

When it starts to get too dark for her to see, she heads for her coop, hops in and flies up to the branch we have nailed up for her perch. Then it's easy child's job to lock her in so the critters don't bother her at night.

mom_in_training

Herbert is adorable.... Love your avatar. Coyotes are a problem where we live... Yikes!! my difficult child was having trouble sleeping and went to smoke on the side of the house night before last and our neighbors sensor lights kept coming on, She peeked over the gate to see what was triggering it and was face to face with a coyote (A big one!!). Scared the bejeebers out of her. I have been seeing coyotes all through out the day behind our house and they are huge this year, Biggest I have seen them in years. But we do have allot of new people in the neighborhood and I have noticed allot of lost signs in the area. Glad that Herbert is being protected.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Herbert chicky -

YOU GOT STYLE!!!!!!!!!

And your Mom has a great way with a camera!

And the saying next to your avatar? OMG I spit milk out of my nose.

(thanks for that) :tongue:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
MIT -- I bet those coyotes are being well-fed with all the newcomer's pets :( It's a sad fact, but part of living close to open spaces like we do. And I LOVE the open space... there's not ENOUGH of it!

Not a good sign, though, when the bigger critters are out in the open during daylight hours. That means pickings are getting harder where they're supposed to be hunting and too easy in the populated areas. People have to learn to adjust their own behaviors to discourage them from coming around (like not leaving pet food or water out, keeping trash covered up tight, keeping small pets inside).

Star -- hope the surprise irrigation didn't hurt anything :rofl:

Mary -- Thank you :D I'm growing quite fond of our little feathered dunce!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Herbert!!! What a doll.

Chicken tip. (Raised on a farm/ranch and we had nothing to do for fun.) If you tuck a chicken's head under it's wing and spin around a few times, they go to sleep for a minute or two. Or, they're just plain dizzy.:rofl: We used to challenge each other to see who could make their chicken sleep the longest.

Ok...ok...cheesy entertainment. At least I wasn't playing video games.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
Herbert is beautiful!!!! and I love the saying!! Though I did NOT irrigate my nose Star Style!

As for coyotes, WOW, MIT!!

We live in a fairly rural area. that is why my Gracie Lour Freebush and Captain Morgan are NOT allowed to go outside! I couldn't handle losing them.

Glad Herbert stays in her area. Abbey, the things we thought of to amuse ourselves before video games. Remember Cow Tipping? I never did it, and I know cattle owners who got furious over it, but it happened. And riding the Pumper Jacks. What a DUMB thing kids did. Video games are not great, but they are not the worst, are they?