geneology diversion

klmno

I have spent (wasted is more like it) the majority of this weekend looking up the family tree on the internet. I don't really know why since I hardly ever hear from any of my family, much less see them. But, it was a good diversion and I do find it interesting. Well, I did until I got compulsive about finding info on one great-great grandfather that I can't seem to find anything about. He had a common name and apparently at the time, they didn't seem to mind if the 1st cousins were named the same as one's own offspring.

Anyway, does anyone know where I could download and print out one of those forms where I can document the "tree" so I can throw away all these scratch pieces of paper and feel like I really did accomplish something? I don't have any money to put into this so I haven't joined any on-line groups about it.

I do feel guilty- I should have spent the time on things that I desparately need to be accomplishing. I'll get up and do something else now!:D

klmno

Thanks, Mstang! Any ideas on what to do if there was a person born in the time period where birth certificates weren't given and no one documented it? I'm trying to find the parents of someone that I know the name of, where he lived and year he was born- and I know his wife (there might have been more than one) ond offspring.

Andy

Was there a newspaper at that time? Maybe a local museum would have records of old newspapers? Museum historians may also have information about the family - especially if they lived in the area for many years and donated anything to the museum.

Was he baptized? Maybe a local church has records of a baptism that would give you clues?

Was he born in the United States? If not, is there a way of getting immigration papers?

klmno

*SNORT* I just used links from the site mstang posted. I found the gent's parents, so was trying to look for that father's parents. It appears that so far, MUMM, well, I guess the mother was a cherokee Indian (Ann Floating Cloud to be exact) and the male was a man with the family last name, but listed as unknown. This was in the 1700's.

I'm not surprised- everyone has always noticed that my mother looks cherokee. And, in one tree line that I was looking through yesterday, it listed the family male's name and had listed as the mother of his children "various Cherokee Indian women". I should have bookmarked that- I think I'm related. :)

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Census rolls can provide a wealth of information. Brothers, sisters, in laws, etc. Seems like families would use the name again if a child died young. In researching I found several children were "taken by Indians" and never heard of again........interesting stories.....

Star*

call 911........call 911
This will tell you how small of a world we are in - OH and FYI if you DO have Indian Information - you can try to contact the BIA Bureau of Indian Affairs, and find Ann Floating Clouds tribal historian. (Good luck Native Americans were not good at keeping records)

Back to me.......

I have worked with a cousin to trace my Father's side of the family clear back to Roman Empire times. It was fascinating, tiring, and a lot of research, but I love research. I actually found her - my third cousin twice removed - on line at the Mormon site that has a message board. I put up a post with relative information and about 4 months later - she emailed me with a ton of info. We collaborated and well the book - will be out soon. I take no credit - she was awesome I just filled in a few holes. One of my Father's relatives interestingly enough was Alexander the Great. Fascinating stuff. But - my Grandfathers Father was chief of a Blackfeet Tribe. He married a white woman, had children - one of which was my grandfather. They moved to a place from the blackhills called White Earth, ND.

Okay fast forward to life with DF - he's from North Dakota - and all his ancestors are from Sweden and Germany. Well I'm talking on the internet one day with the above cousin and we're trying to figure out what this place is that MY granfather was born at - and it has a Sioux name. I don't speak any Sioux. lol. But in walks the Swedish ND fiance and says "OH that's a place the Sioux call (whatever it was) it's White earth in English.
Mystery solved. He used to live just miles from it. Whoda thunk a ND farmboy gone biker would solve the missing piece in our family history?

Just keep plunking away at it and write down EVEN the most insignificant things - as they may be a reference - also the Social Security Death Index and the Ellis Island registers are great for relatives - (My Mom is Irish and English /Welsh actually) But sadly no relation to Tom Jones. But I do think my grandmother was like 1540 something in line for the throne - LOL. OH and even odder - My Dad's family on his Father's side still have a State House in the English Country side - it really is a small world. My Dad also has famous colonists in his back ground as well. My Mom's family is going to be HUGE Grandmas Mom was one of 17 I think.

Oh and the Ellis Island thing I think may cost now - but to look up the ships registers - OH MY GOSH - HOW awesome. And to see HOW and what they had to put up with to become Americans? Amazing.

klmno

That is really interesting, Star! Yes, it is a small world. I thought you were going to tell me that one of your ancestors was Ann Floating Cloud, too! I found several articles on the part, so it looks like there is truth to it. It says her father was either a chief or a french fur trader. Wonder how I'll get to the bottom of that one!

I'd enjoy putting something together to give to my mom- she actually grew up in poverty and never seemed too proud of her family. She never kept ANY pictures of herself as a child and has no desire to go back there. I wish she could appreciate a scrapbook or group of articles or something showing her that in the big picture, she really shouldn't be ashamed of her fore fathers.

Oh- I also found that "Mr. husband to various cherokee women", died by getting scalped by the indians during the revolutionary war. That will teach him!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
No, there was no Cherokee in my life - until I met x. My son's great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. So now he knows for sure he's Cherokee, but isn't too sure about the Native on my side as I was adopted. (sigh) DF said after living around the Sioux and other tribes all his life - he thought I looked like a Chippewah. When we drove through the reservation one morning on the way to a cattle show - we stopped at a little breakfast place and the women to me were just stunning. His family commented on how (looks wise) I could fit in easily. I think that's odd because due to some health disorders I have - I know I've got Mediterranian blood in me - the blood disorder I have is ONLY found in people of medication. descent.

When i wrote the tribal chief Longtime Standing Bear for some information or guidance - he sent me an email that said nothing more than:
BUY MY BOOK.

I thought - RIGHT.....................lol.

My Dad never wanted ANYONE to mention his heritage - growing up in the era he did - being Native was frowned upon. Sad huh? My fathers facial features, large humped nose, black hair and grey eyes gave him away. And me wee Irish Mother has red hair and light brown eyes and is petite.

KTMom91

I LOVE genealogy searching! I went to the National Archives near San Francisco, and found tons of stuff. Census records are really good, and immigrant records can tell you a lot as well. Most of my ancestors came through Detroit from Canada, unfortunately I didn't find anyone that came through Ellis Island. There's a computer program called Family Tree Maker that I like, it has lots of room for your info. I haven't tried printing the whole thing, though, since mine's still a work in progress.

klmno

Star, you never know- you could be Mediterranian and Native! I know I've got it- one of my great grandparents was supposedly full-blooded (possibly 1/2) Cherokee, then I just found this on my Mom's side. But, really, I knew she had to have it on her side. She had way too many characteristics to be ignored. Then, difficult child's father said he was 1/32 or something like that. I would automatically discount anything he said knowing what I know now, however, he really looked it, too. (Hair color, skin tone, characteristics of face, chest and leg hair, cheekbones)- so, difficult child probably has enough in him to join a tribe!

There's a thought- I wonder if the judge would let me send him to the Cherokees??

Ellis Island- we visited once a few years ago. I loved it so much I could have spent the whole vacation there. It was amazing to see the photos and read the stories. More than anything- I found it inspiring. These people really, literally built our country and had basicly no resources. They faced hardships that make ours look like a piece of cake. Maybe I should check out a couple of books from the library on this- for difficult child and myself!