General Anesthesia

flutterby

Fly away!
Last year, I had a lip biopsy done under general anesthesia performed in a surgery center. The drug used was prop-something (the one Michael Jackson od'd on). When I woke up, I felt better than I did before I went in, and I thought...no wonder MJ abused this stuff.

Well, Thursday I had oral surgery under general anesthesia using the same drug. When they brought me out of it, I had no idea where I was. The nurses/assistant(s) (not sure if there was one or two because of my vision) seemed like a hallucination and I was scared. They wheeled me into a recovery room, A came in and I asked if her it was really her. I also had complete double vision. I get some double vision from time to time, but it's only on the thing I'm focusing on that I'll see two of. This encompassed my entire visual field. It was like having 2 tv's side by side showing the same thing. I still wasn't sure where I was, still thought I was hallucinating, but I was laughing. Apparently, I asked my mom questions when she came back that I asked again later, not knowing I had already asked. And I asked them twice or more during the waking up thing.

The nurse came back to give me instructions. I was still seeing double - had to close one eye in order to see, and my mom wasn't sure if I was able to keep that eye open because that is the eye that droops and sometimes I can't keep it open very well. And the nurse was actually trying to the instructions directly to me! I wasn't even sure if she was real!

Somehow I ended up with my sweater on, they wheeled me out to the car and sent me on my way. I couldn't even stand unassisted and it took 2 people to help me into the car.

My vision cleared up in about 45 minutes, but I am still loopy 15 hours later. Much better than I was, but sluggish. My mom brought me home and was here for about another 2 hours, and I couldn't remember if she cut difficult child's hair when she was here. And thank God for phenergan, because I've been taking it all day to keep the nausea down.

I don't know what the difference is, but this is a totally different experience. I don't like it at all. This is a well respected oral surgery center. I hope I never need it again.

It sounds like they gave you too much that second time. Once I had a similar experience. A same day procedure, but I had to stay overnight because I was too out of it, I had too much anesthesia. I don't know if that will make you feel better but it should wear off more today. ((hugs)))