Getting Nervious

J

joneshockey

I can't believe that Emily's surgery is only 4 days away... I am starting to get very anxious about it - I know that it is going to be VERY hard for me to see her go thru all of this, but know it has to be done in order for her to not be so sick all the time. I have total confidence in her urologist but yet I worry about her being under anesthia for so long (4-6 hrs.) when she won't even be quite 4 months old. Does anyone have any advice as to how to make it easier for me to cope these last few days leading up to it? I can tell I will probably be a basketcase by the time we are admitted Monday night. :scared:

H

HaoZi

Reading up on successful surgeries? How is the rest of the family handling it? We'll be thinking about her and hoping for the best.

J

joneshockey

Everyone else seems to be handling things just fine... We are just now trying to get back into somewhat of a "normal" routine after Emily's latest stay in the hospital. The boys dont know much about what is going on except that the dr. is going to make her feel better, all they are concerned about is when they get to go play at grandma's house. I think that they have kind of gotten used to us (Emily & I) going in and out of the hospital so much that they won't think of this any differently than any of our other stays. I will have quite a big support group at the hospital while she is in surgery (my parents, husband and an aunt) all plan on being there... I just wish that it was already over with! I am sure that it is going to break my heart when they take her from me. THANK GOD she is too little to remember any of these things that they have had to do to her or will do to her in the future!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nothing anyone says will stop you from worrying. You're a mommy, and that's what we do.

It sounds like you have a really good urologist who knows what he's doing. I'm sure if he didn't believe Emily would do well with anesthetic, he wouldn't risk it. Same for the procedure itself.

It's good you have a good support system at the hospital.

I keep both you and little Emily in my thoughts and prayers.

(((hugs)))

Mattsmom277

I'm glad you'll have a group of those closest to you to sit with you, that should help a lot. I don't think there's any magic way to ease worries about our babies, but it's a great point made that the surgeon must be confident about Emily's ability to handle the surgery well and that is a good focus point. Along with the idea of knowing that this will make her healthier and that she is so young that this won't be in her memory bank, all positives. Hang in there, just keep your eye on the prize, the end of the surgery and recoup , the benefits of this procedure and that your beautiful little girl will be in good hands determined to fix her up! (((hugs)))

J

joneshockey

Her urologist has been practicing for 23 years and has performed about 20 of these surgeries over the past 10 years. I do agree that he wouldn't be doing this surgery now, unless he felt she could handle it... he was hoping to wait until she was 12-18 months old, but decided about a month ago that the surgery couldn't wait any longer. (Since she has had one infection after another... about 6 or 7 in the past 3 months) I completely trust him... and I am trying to put myself at somewhat ease with all this because I do truely believe she is in the best hands possible. He said the surgery would last 4-6 hours but reassured me that it is due to the fact that he is slow when he performs surgeries. That also gives me peace of mind too that he is very careful and doesn't rush.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sweetheart,

Surgery is scary, no matter how old your baby is. My mom was freaked out when I had the routine D&C on June 17. I called her on the way home to let her know all was well and I was sleepy, but not in pain.

It's hard for Moms. No matter how much faith you have, it's hard.

Let me say this though - we are all rattling beads, pretzeling body parts and praying hard for Emily, and for you.

(((HUGS))) Just hold on to that trust! She's in good hands, know this, he's gonna make her all better.(((hugs)))

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Any surgery can be a scary prospect, but it sounds like she's in extremely capable hands. And is definitely better to correct the problem now. You're right that she won't remember any of this. Not one bit.

If it eases your mind at all, my difficult child 1 was in a drug-induced coma for several days at birth because of a life-saving medical procedure he needed and came out with absolutely no developmental delays. (He would have been a difficult child either way, lol). Infants are very resilient and heal very quickly.