Getting pills down dogs.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thank you to whoever it was who told me that horses who need aspirin have it given with molasses.
I have had a heck of a time getting important pills down HoneySue's throat. I didn't have molasses but I had honey. I have mixed the bitter pain pills with a little honey and put it in a pill syringe and squirt it in the back of her throat. It has been a real godsend.

Thank you,thank you, thank you. Honeysue thanks you too, since she seems to enjoy the taste of honey. :bravo::bravo:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd have never thought to try honey. What a good idea!

But so far I've been lucky. My dogs will do anything for cheese.

Still, the honey is good to know. :D

TerryJ2

Way To Go.
My dogs are so wary of pills now, they won't take them with-Italian dressing or ketchup. I have to keep coming up with-new things.

Horses love sweet things. Way To Go!

donna723

Fran, have you tried sticking the pill down inside of a marshmallow and giving it to her? Most dogs love them and all they are is corn starch and a little sugar! Won't hurt them a bit!

Star*

call 911........call 911
We break a pill up and put it on a knife with chunky Jif peanut butter - Casper usually cant' tell the difference between pill and peanut butter and if he can? Its' too much work to sort it all out.

Never thought of honey!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Cheese, peanut butter, hot dogs, lunch meat....anything you can disguise the pills in, mine would eat. Some pills he would take on his own if I acted like he had a treat. Took the vet by surprise one time with a heartworm pill. Had his test done, got the pills and popped one out to give him there. The vet didn't think he'd take it without extra "flavoring" but I held it up like it was a treat, tossed it in the air and he snatched it right down.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Believe me we did peanut butter,cheese, cheez whiz, hot dog and anything else I could think of. I was picking up a pain pill here, there and everywhere or so it seemed. Truthfully, I'm not a wimp. I forced them to the back of her throat if she fought it but she would figure a way to "cheek" them. All I know is that they would reappear, one at a time. The food chewed off but the pill intact.

I hadn't tried a marshmallow but I'll give it a try.

I never thought about Honey for Honeysue. How cute is that?
Thanks for all the suggestions.

F

flutterbee

That's a good idea.

Jewel is funny about pills. I coat them with butter to make them slippery, put them way in the back of her mouth and hold her snout shut while I gently rub her throat and gently blow in her face. Makes them swallow. She's also figured out that she always gets a treat after so it's made it easier.

Abbey

Spork Queen
When I had a dog, I used to use peanut butter or wrap it in a slice of cheese. Sounds like those didn't work. Never thought of honey!! Fortunately, we had a dog that we eat a chair leg so it really didn't matter much.

Abbey

Fran

Former desparate mom
She took pills with a bit of a struggle before but I gather that this Tramadol is incredibly bitter. She literally shudders when they are in her mouth. We have just had a heck of a time with it. It must be just horrible.

F

flutterbee

I don't remember it tasting nasty...I just remember it didn't do anything. I hope it's more effective in dogs.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm glad the honey is working. We have a horrible time getting our dog to take pills but cheese usually does it for her.

DammitJanet

Tramadol tastes nasty if the pill sits in your mouth for any length of time. so do many other medications. Im sure a dog tends to attempt to chew a pill first which brings out the bitter taste. I have so many pills which just make me go...ewwww...every time I have to take them. I keep a supply of candy next to the bed to chew on right after I take them.

SRL

My parents used to hide the dog pills in liverwurst. They gobbled them right down. Not me, I always wanted to gag up the liverwurst even without pills hidden inside.