Gift exchange at work

M

ML

I participated in the gift exchange at work yesterday. I had the opportunity to do something nice and it felt good to focus on the true meaning of Christmas.

There is a young girl that works with us. She isn't of Christian beliefs (Muslim) but participated in our gift exchange to be social. While it wasn't a "white elephant" exchange per se, she got a WE gift. This group is IT and works with state of the art equipment. Her gift was VHS tapes and obsolete diskettes. Of course NO ONE would steel her gift. I had the privilege of going last and instead of steeling a nice gift, I stole hers (lied and said I still use a VCR and tapes) so she could have a nicer gift.

Giving really does gift the giver as much as the receiver. It's not about stuff at all. I honestly feel like I received the greatest gift of them all.

ML

muttmeister

Good for you!

I only was involved in two gift exchanges this year and for the Red Hat one we decided that, instead of bringing gifts to exchange, we would, instead, bring stuff to give to the food pantry. I thought that was a great idea. I don't need more "stuff" and it felt good to help out somebody else. I think I will suggest that for the other gift exchange next year.