giving the dog Proin

Lothlorien

for the leaking and she's been sick as, well, a dog. She's been vomiting, but it's mostly bile. I withheld food from her in the am, yesterday, but this morning she got sick. She's also had the runs. Is this a side-effect of the Proin? I looked the medicine up and there's no info on this as a side-effect.

I withheld food from her this morning and I'm making her a bit of rice right now, to see if that will settle her down. I've kept her gated in the kitchen, because she's sick, plus she's still leaking. I feel so bad for her.

witzend

We had that problem with an anti-biotic anti-fungal medication we were giving to Bubba. I thought he would die from how sick he was from the medications. We decided it would be better to have him comfortable without the medications than ill from them. We made the right choice, but then again, we are willing to live with the illness the medication was for. There's dog snot everywhere in my house, but that's not as bad as what your dog is going through.

I hope she will feel better.

Lothlorien

Thanks, Witz.

I've been thinking.......I had given her these tablets ground up with some Alpo, because she wouldn't take the tablet on her own. The last time I gave her Alpo, she got sick, but it was that round of Alpo that was tainted with that gluten junk that was making dogs sick, so I assumed that she was sick from that. I had only just given her a little in her dog food for a few days when that scare came out and I stopped. I'm now wondering if she's sick from the Alpo....she's not really used to canned food.

So, I mixed a small amount of liverwurst with some chicken broth and rice with her medications. So far, she's kept it down and seems just a little bit perkier. I'm hoping with all hope that it's just the Alpo and not her medicine. Even after steam cleaning the carpet, I still smell urine. I have to call a carpet cleaning company tomorrow. If that doesn't work, we'll be ditching the carpet, but I just don't have the money to burn for something to replace it and unless her issues straighten out, I'm certainly not putting more carpet down.

Fran

Former desparate mom
What's Proin? Is it the same as PPA?(it's what HS got for leaky bladder)

I have a sensitive stomach pup. Cowboy always has and if he is in the least bit nervous, new foods or medications he brings up everything and then bile. I couldn't feed him anything for a long time but Science diet sensitive stomach. I keep some on hand all the time with a box of rice. He was sick in the garage yesterday but I think it was car sickness as we were driving some pretty croocked mountain roads.

Since Honeysue got cancer I decided no food with animal by products is going into the dogs. They get less amount but better food.

I agree that if she is still leaking that replacing the carpet is going to be a problem. I hope you can settle her tummy and get medications that work on her bladder. Having dogs leave a trail of mess is so frustrating.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Poor thing. Poor you.
I had a day a couple of weeks ago where all 3 left me some bodily function from all 3 orifices. Guess something didn't agree with them. It was the first time I thought I might not want dogs. LOL. Ugh! what a mess all over my bedroom rug. I steamed cleaned it right away after soaking up all the liquid stuff and using spot shot. It looks ok and I don't smell anything. I'm fairly sensitive to smell. Needless to say, they aren't spending time upstairs anymore.

Lothlorien

Oh, Gosh Fran.....3 big dogs....they can leave some big piles. Ugh! I'm glad you were able to get that out of your carpet. My little dog did that once and we cleaned it, but a few days later.....well, let's just say we had to get a professional. eeeew!

I dog sat once for someone who had a St. Bernard. Dog left me a pile one night....OMG! I thought I would die.