Going ahead with summer camp for difficult child 2!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
A few weeks ago I mentioned I'd found a summer camp near us that caters to developmentally disabled AND neurotypical kids as well as kids with issues like asperger's, adhd and bipolar.

Their director put me in contact with another parent who's had experience with the camp and I just got off the phone with her. Her difficult child son is 12 like my difficult child 2 and is an Aspie. He's been going to this camp since he was 7! She had nothing but great things to say about it, and last year they sent their easy child son along with their difficult child and he too had a great time and can't wait to go back.

The counselor:camper ratio is 3:10 which seems very good to me. There are lots of fun activities for the kids, and the counselors do a very good job of making the kids feel welcome and at ease. No pressure to participate if they don't want to. And behavior issues are handled professionally and sensitively.

So I think I'm sold. I'm just checking one more time with husband before I send off my paperwork and the check this week, to make sure he understands and is still okay with the money aspect of it. It's a real bargain at only $300 for five nights. Most other camps I've seen like that run well over $1,000.

The prospect of having only ONE kid at home for a week this summer is well worth the money in my opinion! And maybe I can ship her off to day camp that week as well! Wow. No kids during the day for a week! My head spins at the notion...:tongue:

I'm happy you found a camp for your difficult child!!! I sent difficult child 1 to a sleep over camp for two summers - three weeks the first summer and six weeks the second one. Last summer he completed a paid internship there - (We had to pay dearly $$$ for him to have the opportunity BUT it was worth every penny!!!) difficult child 1 thrived at this camp. It was a wonderful experience for him. And, life at home was so much more peaceful while he was away. :D!!!

We've been sending difficult child 2 to Y camp every summer since he was in the first grade. He loves it!!! Fortunately, the counselors are able to deal with him without us having to hire an aide.

difficult child 1 was much more difficult to live with and had out grown day camp. Also, we felt difficult child 1 would benefit more from this particular camp than difficult child 2 would. However, if I had the money this year, I would send difficult child 2 for one session. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen.

Anyway, I think it's great that you've found a great camp. Definitely ENJOY the time difficult child is away!!! You deserve a break!!!:D WFEN

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I just mailed off the application and check with husband's blessing. I am SO excited for him! He has only been to day camps and half the time they don't know what to do about his behavior so he ends up in the trailer in a time out. I hope he has as good a time as I think he will.

If he gets accepted, he'll be gone the same week difficult child 1 is at his camp for kids with Crohn's (which is an absolutely AWESOME program -- and it's FREE). And then hopefully I'll get easy child into the local day camp that she loves so much!

Woo-hooo! I can't wait for AUGUST!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
OOOOOH! This hopefully will be a week of relaxation for Momma!
Raoul can show up. You can hang out with him and the chickies... maybe some trashy novels and sunshine?
Does he have to be approved? If so I hope it goes through!!! Yipeee.