Going out auto shopping tomorrow....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
sister in law is in town on business & is going out auto shopping with me. My physical condition is becoming so I cannot load my walker or open the side doors of my van. I don't always have access to help like I might at a market or store or the valet at the hospital.

I'm in the market for a mini van with power sliding doors that has a fold down seat to make it easier to lift my walker in & out. I need a power driver's seat & a rear camera thing so I can see what's nearby behind me.

Saying that, I'm having to look into something a bit more handicap accessible. I like driving a mini van (must be a parent thing); it's easily converted if need be to a wheel chair accessible vehicle.

I didn't want to buy a new (pre owned) vehicle; my van is working well & will last at least another 75,000 miles.

I'll do what I must do to function however I hate this one. I hate auto shopping & I hate the reason this needs to be done.

Thanks for the ear ~ just needed to talk about this.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Linda, I recently got the chrysler town and country mini van. It's very used but it's primarily for transporting the dogs. I couldn't keep hoisting them into the back of the pick up. I keep the middle and rear seat folded away and put a cheap area rug down. Now they can move around, have a/c and save my back. It's got enough miles on it that it doesn't bother me if the dogs drool or make it furry and smelly.

I'm planning to drive it to Pa. to pick up in laws. I'll keep the middle seat folded away. They can sit in the rear seat and watch dvd's while I drive and listen to books on tape.

I never had a mini van when the kids were home(SUV's but no mini van)Now I have one for the dogs, long trips and hauling away stuff that doesn't fit in my regular car.

Good luck.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Fran, that's the van I'm going out to look at .... my dad has one & loves it. I have a 1996 Voyager that just won't quit & I love that about these cars. It really could give me another 75,000 miles or more & I'll be sad to let it go.

Isn't that silly? It's the van we bought when we adopted the tweedles; it too has survived a great deal.

I just do not want to take this kind of money right now out of my life insurance fund not having the means to rebuild it - it's my retirement money.

Oh well, I'm thinking green or silver. Maybe a classy blue.
Hmmmmmmm.......

mstang67chic

Going Green
I was just in one of those Linda, they are very nice vans. The "cockpit" area is fairly contained too so everything you need is right there. The one I was in had the gearshifter on the dash directly to the right of the steering wheel. I don't know if that particular model had auto doors, I did it manually but one perk is that there are sliding doors on both sides. It had plenty of room and the seats can fold down in various ways so you can customize your cargo space.

I know car shopping hoovers so I hope it goes as smoothly as possible. When you are done, be sure to treat yourself to a new book or an ice cream stop.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have it on pretty good authority that a Jeep is a good Cougar mobile - (Maybe you could ask Steely)

I like domestic vehicles and because my Father was an American Steel worker I would never be able to own anything but. I like the looks of the Toyota Cruiser though sigh - and if Ford made it? I'd go for it. Lol. But that new Chevy hybrid is pretty sporty - alas I've been a Ford woman almost all my life.

You can also ask to keep them over night too Linda and really drive them in daily situations where you wouldn't normally get to test drive a mini van. For looks? OMG that Lincoln hybrid is just georgeous.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think you will find the van comfortable and able to fit your needs. A friend of mine bought that model van you are looking at and loves it!

With the new mobility the van will give you it might be easier for you to build up your strength and/or adapt to do new things.

I hope you ENJOY the new van.

DDD

Good luck, Linda. I'm no expert in auto shopping but I just went through the process and using the Internet really allows you to compare all features and "see" the different models. Information on leg room, interior height etc. is at your finger tips and at your convenience with no sales
person trying to close a deal. I was able eliminate most vehicles and only had to see three in person. Once I "saw" I actually bought my car on line sight unseen from a dealership about 60 miles away. It was the best buy
and the deal was slick as a whistle. I hate auto shopping so I suggest the impartial at your leisure method. :D DDD

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I got my car ~ a red 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Ltd. It's a beautiful car & I got a wonderful deal. After cash for clunkers there's inventory sitting on lots not moving.

I paid cash for the thing & sister in law & I brought them down to my break point. We walked away from several dealers because they wouldn't budge even after we pointed out that their competitor across the stress would likely get our business. I hate shopping for cars.

Then sister in law decided I needed new clothes to go with my car - off to the best consignment store in town & I walked out with 5 pairs of slacks, 4 sweaters, a very cute top for my nieces wedding reception, a new winter coat, a new winter vest & a purse for $230. I think that's it for me for a couple of years.

It was a fun day with sister in law - she loved because she was spending my money; I was trashed. Sally, the wonder dog, sat here with her eyes crossed she needed to go out so bad.

Still a fun day.

DDD

Whoa! You and sister in law are a dynamic duo, for sure. That's a productive day
and it sounds like you are going to be a lovely sight to behold in your new clothes and your new "ride". congrats on a job well done. DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Congrats on the new van! Hey, check with your doctors and the IRS. It is possible that if your doctors say you need the van for mobility issues you might be able to claim part of the cost as a medical care deduction.

I was able to claim the cost of putting in central air conditioning at our house because husband had trouble regulating his body temperature and had breathing difficulties. The IRS refunded the cost of the central air.

Call the IRS and see what the current rules are. It certainly doesn't hurt to try.

(We were also able to claim the cost of durable medical goods like his walker and his scooter)

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thanks ladies. My niece & her boyfriend are coming over this weekend to set up all the things in this machine. I can connect to my cell phone via the radio with voice recognition; I can use this button on the sun visor as my garage door opener along with a few other things.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set these things up.

Boyfriend P is a pro at things like this. Yee hah for boyfriends in the family. The running joke of late has been that P should drop my niece T for me. My house is half paid for & I have a decent credit rating. He blushes each time my brother in law or sis have told him the realities of older women. Just cracks me up.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Introduce him to Steely! :winks:

Congrats on the car!!!! I don't blame you for getting help....the cars these days have computers in them instead of a radio! LOL Some of it is pretty simple but other parts you need to read half the manual to figure out. FYI...last I knew...you just had to hold the button on your visor while you were aiming (and pushing the button for) your garage door opener at it. Of course that could follow a complicated series of instructions for all I know...I never used mine. (press brake pedal 3 times, set wipers on high, adjust radio to 103.9fm, honk horn twice and pop the trunk before setting button)

Enjoy it!!! Although.....you forgot one thing. You have the fancy new ride, the new clothes and purse but now you need some hot, hip sunglasses! LOL