Going to be an interesting day

StressedM0mma

We are meeting with the guidance counselor this morning to discuss difficult child daughter's failing grades, and what we can do to salvage the year. She does notknow we are going. Figured there was no point in telling her and having to deal with the horrid behavior. She can find out when she is called down to the office.

StressedM0mma

JJJ yes, she is passing her electives, but her core courses she is failing. She has 40% in advanced algebra 2, advanced bio, and advanced history. She has a B or C in advanced English, and a B in spanish 2. We want her to drop down to college prep level classes, but she is hearing none of it. It is all due to her not completing homework. When she is not so depressed, and everything else, she can do the work just fine. She normally is a 4.0 student obsessed with good grades, so this really threw us for a loop.
She is going to hate us when this is over. Check that. She is going to hate me. But, we can't let this go on. If she has any hope of decent grades later, we need to get some help now. And, I know she will be upset with the grades later once she is doing better. Fingers crossed she understands why we are doing this. I have a feeling she is going to retaliate big time on this. And, I have to get her to a psychiatrist appointment. tomorrow. I just keep reminding myself baby steps. One day at a time.

klmno

We tried meeting like that with my son when he was finishing his freshman year, after just being released from Department of Juvenile Justice the first time. We all sat down for the meeting and the GC called to get difficult child out of class to join us. He wasn't there. Turns out he was going to first period where attendance is taken, then skipping the rest of the school day. THAT was the bigger cause of his failing grades. Many of these difficult children have good ability but not good enough self-discipline in high school to do what it takes to keep good grades when they have the new-found freedoms of HS. Good luck at the meeting- I hope it helps her wake up and realize that she needs to make some choices- these are the natural consequences.

InsaneCdn

Sometimes, kids fighting depression need to reduce their workload... she may not want to dumb-down the course level... so, just take fewer courses, and take longer to graduate. LOTS have done it that way.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Stresses--

The REAL issue is going to be homework. She'll fail College Prep classes just as handily as the Advanced classes if she doesn't do the homework.

This was the case for my difficult child. Up until high school she could sail through class without doing a darned thing. But now that she is in high school and the homework actually COUNTS? Ugh! She still can't get it through her thick skull that she actually may have to do some work... And she's failing the classes to prove it!

Wish I had some advice on how to "fix" this. Good luck with your meeting!

StressedM0mma

She has always done her homework before. She has been taking High School level classes since she was in 7th grade. So, the workload is nothing new to her. I just think she is having a hard time even functioning with day to day tasks. College prep level classes have less work, and move at a slower pace. This may be enough for her to make it through the year. At this point we have to try something.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
She has always done her homework before. She has been taking High School level classes since she was in 7th grade. So, the workload is nothing new to her. I just think she is having a hard time even functioning with day to day tasks. College prep level classes have less work, and move at a slower pace. This may be enough for her to make it through the year. At this point we have to try something.

Uh-oh!

In that case - I'm thinking NOT dropping the Advanced classes....but maybe get some kind of after-school homework group or something. Perhaps the comraderie of working in a group would help?

StressedM0mma

Well, spoke with the counselor, and he wants to wait until we speak with the psychiatrist before we do anything. So, we are going to be in contact with him after Thanksgiving to let him know what took place and what the psychiatrist thinks. The good thing is that if we do need to move her down, he said he would be willing to tell it is necessary, and not have it come from us. He also said he is going to wait until after break, and call her down and do the " I have notice your grades aren't great-- what is going on?" He is also going to talk to her teachers and give them a little info. and see what can be done to help her.