Good Election Day Morning!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
:proudamerican:Good Morning All!

For those of us in the U.S. no matter who you support be sure to get out and vote! It really is such a privilege. husband and I actually voted last week but easy child/difficult child is excited to be voting in her first presidential election!

Work today and then home to watch some election results; I'm sure I'll be asleep before it is decided.

Wishing all a day filled with beautiful moments!
:starplucker:

DammitJanet

Well at least this year I actually get to vote in reality instead of convincing myself I had done it while I was in my coma...lol. I literally thought I had walked all the way from NC to VA to vote in my hometown of Richmond VA. Quite a feat considering I was in a coma and couldnt walk at all....lmao. I was also convinced I voted for Obama which would have been completely outside my norm because I am a died in the wool Republican. Boy that coma did a number on me!

Marguerite

Whoever you vote for, please exercise your democratic right. Voting is compulsory for us in Australia and frankly, I like it that way. It also reduces electoral fraud because every voter gets checked off after the event, and multiple polling places means that someone committing fraud will have doubled up. It's mostly computerised now. We voted in a Federal election 18 months ago, while we were on holidays. They had an electronic gizmo that found our names and addresses and ticked us off the list. Not sure if you guys do this, but in Australia on election day (we have separate elections for state, for federal, for local) we turn them into a social and charity occasion. Cake stalls, fundraising barbecues, etc. People hang around and chat. Even people handing out the how to vote cars for different political groups all chat together and help each other.

We're not allowed to leave the how to vote stuff in the polling booth. Some places won't let you take it into the polling booth. The current leader of the opposition, Tony Abbott, last election was wearing his "Vote for Tony Abbott, Liberal" t-shirt. Some idiot official made him take his shirt off!

Not only is it election day for the US, it is Melbourne Cup Day here in Australia. Okay, it's midnight now, it's just ticked over to Wednesday. But the day just past was quite exciting. I took mother in law to the local club where they had big TV screens, everyone had dressed up for the occasion. Not us though. And not the road workers, who were absolutely filthy after a heavy day on our roadworks. But it didn't matter, we had fun. This is the race that stops the nation - no work happens anywhere after about 2.30. The race runs at 3 pm. Even in exams, they often write the names of the winning horses up on the board. The race used to be run at 2.40 pm but the time was changed a few years ago. At 2.40, it is still during school hours. Maybe 3 pm is less disruptive for schools.

husband had four horses in various sweeps, one of the horses came in second so he made a profit. Sweeps are fun - you pay a fee, when it's fully subscribed the horses' names are drawn out of a hat and assigned at random. You win amounts on a sliding scale for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Some sweeps also have a "hairy goat" refund if your horse comes last.

The brushtail possum is making weird noises right outside our bedroom window. It's mating season - what with the possums fighting and the deer bellowing, it's noisy here in the bush!

Enjoy your Tuesday.

Marg

lmf64

I rarely post on this thread, but of course today is a big day. I woke difficult child up early and took him to vote in his first ever election. I will be going to Redbox this afternoon to get some movies for this evening. I don't think I can handle an evening of stress, watching and waiting to see how this mess all works out.

Californiablonde

Will be voting today after work. I am more anxious about the propositions than anything. Especially props 30 and 32. Working in a school district, my job could be in jeopardy depending on how it's decided. Hopefully it comes out the way I want. I usually crash around 8:00 during the week, so I won't find out who won until tomorrow morning.