Good Morning Saturday/Australia Day!

Marguerite

G'day everybody.

It's Australia Day today! it's also difficult child 3's birthday, which makes him a true blue Aussie. A Vegemite kid.

We just had a small family birthday dinner for him, easy child & BF1 arrived at last and were able to stay just for the meal. They're sleeping tonight at mother in law's (not enough room for them at our place, with BF2 in the spare room). They wouldn't have stopped over, except for difficult child 3's birthday, because they have to meet their removal van in Newcastle tomorrow morning.

We had a classic Aussie Day today - went to the beach. Because we were there in the middle of the day (when the sun is at its worst) we didn't stay more than an hour or so.
We were at home relaxing, when the phone rang. It was girlfriend, calling from her uncle's catamaran. They were moored off our beach, did we want to meet up?
So we did a fast change into swimsuits and headed down. She and difficult child 1 sat on the rock and watched everyone else. difficult child 1 isn't a strong swimmer, girlfriend had already had a long swim, coming ashore - the boat had to moor a long way from the beach, the whole bay was full of boats, more coming in, most bearing Aussie flags.
At our tiny sub-beach (it's off one end of the main beach) the surf was rough but not too high. difficult child 3 & I tried some body-surfing but it was tricky with many more swimmers than usual.
One group seemed to almost fill our little beach - they had a beach umbrella up, had put an esky full of beer in the shade and had a small portable barbecue going (probably cooking lamb). They'd found a dead branch off a gum tree, tied a large flag to it and stuck it in the sand, with the flag fluttering high over the beach. It looked very appropriate.
They set up some stumps and bails and were playing cricket on the beach. difficult child 3 joined in for a while; the game was hampered a fair bit with every wave, which would inundate the pitch and almost threaten to wash the stumps out to sea. I don't think anyone was serious about keeping score! The outfield was a bit tricky - rocks in one direction, surf in the other. And if the batter had to make any runs, he either splashed to the other stumps or bogged in sand.
A very Aussie day indeed!

girlfriend swam back to her uncle's boat but later on drove to our place for dinner tonight. She was the colour of a lobster, badly sunburnt in places. difficult child 1 isn't used to the midday summer sun either, I was anointing both of them with fresh aloe vera juice.
I suspect tomorrow at church, the congregation will be a sea of sunburnt faces.

I'm off to shower away the salt before bedtime.

Enjoy your Saturday, everyone. And if you see any green and gold today, think of us Aussies - 220 years to the day since the First Fleet arrived!

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Marg-Happy Australia Day! It sounds like a really fun day (except for the sunburn)! The beach always sounds good to me!:beach_ball:It reminds me of how I would love to spend our Fourth of July! I'm glad a fun day was had and hope everyone sleeps well-hard to do sometimes with a bad sunburn.

We were supposed to go to a wrestling tournament today for difficult child. He vomited in the middle of the night though and said he didn't want to go today. I don't think he is really sick-no fever-probably just ate too much or something upset his stomach but I also don't want to push him to wrestle since he was up in the middle of the night.

I'll probably catch up on cleaning, get the grocery shopping done, go to the health club, and maybe a trip to the mall. Of course, most importantly I will nap!:sleeping:

I hope everyone enjoys a day with some fun and finds reasons for smling and laughing.:flowers:

tiredmommy

Good morning.

Marg- It sounds like a wonderful holiday! Happy belated birthday to difficult child 3.

Sharon- I hope difficult child is feeling better, I hope his upset tummy is the reason for his behavior's recent downward trajectory.

Duckie has dance and a play date today. We may try to squeeze in some girl scout cookie sales as well. husband and I may go to dinner. Other than that, it 's laundry.

Have a great day!:)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Happy Australia day, Marg! And Happy Birthday to difficult child 3!! A day at the beach sounds lovely~

Like you Sharon, today is a day for cleaning up and I get to do it alone!! Yeah-difficult child and H are BOTH out of the house, my favorite time to give a good cleaning.

TM, enjoy your day. H and I went out to a Thai restaurant last night, the food was yummy. I WANT GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!!

Besides doing chores and errands, I am meeting a friend for coffee at 9AM. We will shoot the you-know-what for an hour and then my day will rev up from there. I have to brush and bathe the pups as well. Fun.

Hello to anyone I didn't see and have a great day everyone!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good Morning all.
Marguerite, I love that you are educating me in the day to day life in another country. Happy Australia Day to you and your family. It sounds like a fun day for everyone.

Wiped out hope difficult child feels better or at the very least sleeps in this morning.

TM hope you and husband get a date night. Good luck with the cookies.

Jo, enjoy time with your friend.

I'm still enjoying the tumultous surf at the shore. It's been a stormy few days. It's been a peaceful few days. I plan to continue to read, walk the puppies, work a bit and sleep soundly. I hit the mother lode of large unique shells yesterday so today, I may venture out into town to see what's happening at the second hand shops.

difficult child had a dead battery yesterday. It seemed he handled it well. He is trying to change his behaviors. He didn't meltdown and expect me to fix it.

Hope you have a productive day.

LittleDudesMom

:its_all_good:HAPPY SATURDAY MORNING :its_all_good:

Marg, Happy Birthday to difficult child :try2fly: ! Glad you all had a great day.

Sharon, well with difficult child not going to wrestling, gives you a little extra nap time doesn't it :sleeping:!

Jog, hope you have a nice "breeze" time with your girlfriend :friendsforever:

TM, enjoy your dinner with husband :couple:

Fran, bet the pups love running on the beach :cool_dog:

Not much on the agenda today. difficult child has his monthly book report due on Friday and we are going to try and bang that out today. I think difficult child and I may make a toy store run since he has two giraffe store gift cards from Christmas that he hasn't used yet.

Enjoy your weekend :salute:

Sharon

M

ML

What a great day! I am thinking longingly of July 4th and bbqs and sunshine. You are a great writer, Marg.

Happy A Day and Happy B-Day :) Love, ML

Marg,

I felt like I was there, what a lovely day. Thanks for letting us all share in the fun. Happy Australia Day and Happy Birthday to difficult child 3! 14 was a great age for both of our guys.