Good morning Saturday in midst of Holiday weekend!

dreamer

Hopeing everyone is haveing a fun and happy and safe long holiday!
Our weather here has been uncharacteristically chilly the last several days. Weatherman said July 3 when I was out watching fireworks and for a change freezing instead of bordering on heat stroke, it was coldest July 3rd in 46 years. Brrr, LOL.
easy child did manage to go to the fireworks on the 3rd, but, since we got home she has again steadily declined (there is a post in watercooler about her ER visit). She has to go to work soon here this morning, and the town has been just nuts since 830 or so last nite, (another post I replied to in watercooler about how young to lite firecrackers)
So all of us here have been awake all nite. :-( So- I am fairly sure we are skipping the parade we were thinking of going to this morning- (me, difficult child and son)
I am not sure what we might do later, depends on if we get some sleep, here, and how easy child feels.
I made some chocolate peanut butter ribbon homemade ice cream last nite. There was a giant yellow and many other colors butterly beside ice cream maker about 10 PM. It was so pretty! I was surprised to see it out so late, and by the ice cream maker on patio table. (loud, cold and wet)
Enjoy your day! Looks like the weather here is gonna be very very nice, even if it is a little cool. Bummer is the recent floods have caused there to be horrible amounts of mosquitos, and our town does not spray or anything for them, anymore. I thought they were going to carry me away Thurs nite. And becuz of my medications, I do worry a little bit about things like West Nile, now. :-(

Happy Saturday!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Dreamer-I didn't realize you were in such a cold snap. The mosquitoes here are horrible too because of the flooding. We go out as little as possible and then spray on the Off. I read a recent article that said the mosquitoes from flooding rarely carry (or don't-can't remember which) the West Nile Virus. The chocolate peanut butter ribbons sound pretty and delicious! Whatever you decide to do with your day I hope it is fun and relaxing. I hope easy child is feeling better.

As for me, I'm off to work in a bit. After that at the some point I need to go to the health club, mow the lawn, and nap. I also am making a trifle for a brunch husband and I are going to tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll even sneak in a visit to the pool.

Wishing everyone a day filled with summer fun.:picnic:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Happy Saturday dreamer. Too bad about the cold and mosquito's. I hate that feeling of being swarmed by them.
husband and I had a quiet holiday which we needed after the family reunion last weekend and the busy month ahead. We are heading out shortly to drive to the mountains and explore. I will end up at mom's and spend the week getting her settled in to living on her own. :crazy2: She has returned to being obstinate and a little difficult child.

difficult child is a whole other story. He will be returning to NC at the end of the month. I'll have to make another thread later.

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer holiday season.

LittleDudesMom

:geek: Good Saturday Morning Ladies,

Dreamer, what a suprise to see you on the morning thread!! Hope your day today is a little quieter and the temps begin to rise.

Sharon, hope you can fit everything in, especially the nap!!

Fran, enjoy your trip through the mountains. It should be lovely and a little cooler up there. Sorry mom is being a little obstinate. I guess she is feeling better and wants to be on her own. Perhaps she is resentful of the interference she feels in her life. Sometimes it's hard for our aging parents to accept our help or admit they need our help. They've been doing themselves for so long....

Kinda busy day here today. I'm off to another water aerobic class this morning at 10 - I'm addicted! Then I have over a week of laundry to do. I'm off my usual schedule and I know I've got like seven loads! I do have some errands to run then the kids and I are going to the first birthday of our youth minister's daughter tonight.

It should be a nice time if the party is not "stormed" out. We are expecting thunderstorms.

Our 4th was relaxing and fun. difficult child had a ball!

Wishing everyone a relaxing Saturday.

Sharon :good_morning:

Marguerite

G'day, people.

Dreamer, my sympathies about the cold snap. Sorry about the mozzies, too. And towns spray for mozzies? Not here. We get them so badly here, that we can't stay outside for any length of time in warmer weather. easy child 2/difficult child 2 wouldn't even hang out the washing, because she would get eaten alive in the time it took.

Sharon/Wiped, the trifle sounds delicious. There's something special about summer holiday food...

Fran, I hope you and husband enjoy your drive to the mountains. And there is something about elderly parents - I think the difficult child in them surfaces because they no longer feel they have to set an example to us 'young 'uns'.

Sharon/LDM, Water aerobics, a week's washing and thunderstorms - sounds very wet overall, and busy.

difficult child 1 is moping around the house this weekend, because girlfriend has gone to Queensland for a few days. difficult child 3 is happy to be having a break from school. husband is currently trying to fix the DVD player (new) which has a DVD of mine stuck in it. Tonight is a dead loss broadcast night, perfect for watching DVDs...

Tomorrow we're going to do our usual Sunday thing and kidnap mother in law to get her out of the house, even if it's only up to our place to watch DVDs. That is, if we can get the darn thing working properly...

Tomorrow is also our monthly artists' open day, so if the DVD player is still not working then maybe I'll take mother in law for a drive in the village and visit all the artists with her.

And Monday she & I have to see our GP, I have to see my neurologist and do some shopping. It's going to be a busy couple of days.

Enjoy your Saturday, and the rest of the holiday weekend.

Marg

slsh

member since 1999
Good morning all!

Dreamer, boy I hear you about the chill. My poor step-mother was on our back porch yesterday with a sweater on! It was nice in the sun if the wind wasn't blowing, but at night I'm still sleeping under heavy blankets! On the plus side, this should help with the electric bill - no AC! Our village does spray every Wed for the mosquitos so they haven't been too bad, though I wonder with gas prices how long they're going to keep that up. The ice cream sounds marvelous!!! Yum!

Sharon - are you teaching this summer? Feels like it will be a decent day to mow the lawn, not too hot. Enjoy your brunch tomorrow - I'm impressed you're making a trifle!

Fran - glad you and husband had a nice peaceful holiday. Sorry your mom is being obstinate, but I do have to admit to having a grudging admiration for her gfgness. ;) Of course, I'm not the one having to convince her to do what she needs to be doing. I hope the move for difficult child will be a good one, for all involved.

Sharon - water aerobics would be a good thing to be addicted to, as opposed to ... say, chocolate? :rofl: I bet you're feeling pretty good, and I must say you're being a very good role model. I'm *almost* motivated enough to get the body moving.... almost. ;) Hope you don't get rained out.

Marg - sounds like a nice relaxing weekend. Sorry difficult child 1 is moping... ah, young love. ;) Hope husband is able to retrieve your DVD and the machine shapes up!

We had one of the best 4ths ever yesterday. Dad and step-mom got here about noon and for one of the few times in my life, I had the timing down cold for the meal. Especially amazing since it was all grilled. The shrimp and ribs were done at the same time, the salads were perfect, and the deserts turned out just right. My dad, who is known for his self-control, had *seconds* and then he ate 3 different varieties of desert!!!! I just about fell over - it was just the greatest compliment ever. We just sat outside in the sun and chatted for 5 hours. It was so nice. I hadn't seen them in about a year and it's funny, but at 45 I still miss seeing him on a regular basis. He seems to be doing pretty well, a very young 73.

Called thank you to wish him a happy 4th, because I wanted to. He wasn't as frosty as he's been lately but it was a short conversation because I can't ask him what he's doing (I don't want to know, truly). But I got to wish him a happy 4th and tell him I love him. That's about as good as it can be right now.

Off to finish painting our new bedroom so we can move into it tomorrow. husband is (hopefully) exchanging the washing machine that came with the house (dead bearings) with one we had bought about 10 years ago. I'm just praying that ours will run after 10 years of dormancy and the flood. I do not do well with broken mechanical things and a washing machine has become a convenience that I simply cannot live without. on the other hand.... those new monster-sized front loaders are pretty cool.... LOL.

Hope you have a great Saturday, all. Hi to anyone who snuck in!

Andy

Good "How Can We Be Up This Early" Morning​

Dreamer - guess you are up because you haven't yet gone to bed. I hope easy child starts feeling better soon. You are having a struggle this weekend with that and fireworks. Did easy child and husband ever get any sleep last night? That butterfly sounds beautiful - maybe it was delivering a good day for you to have today?

Wiped Out - what a busy day you have planned. My first thought this morning was "From now on I need to make sure I have the day after the 4th off of work followed by, How am I going to survive working the fair in a few weeks?" Enjoy your busy day - Hopefuly the pool will fit in.

Fan - quiet holidays are good when needed - sounds like you enjoyed every minute of it. Maybe your mom will feel better once eveything is settled in and set up the way she want it.

Little Dudes Mom - Enjoy your water aerobics and birthday party - Hoping the storms wait until everyone is home and asleep in bed - the very best time to have them if we must. I am glad difficult child enjoyed the 4th.

Marguerite - I hope you get the DVD working - a movie marathon of your favorite shows will be nice.

difficult child was up earlier than I thought - He took the puppy outside and has been outside since playing with the puppy. It is beautiful out this morning. I went out to finish cleaning up the cul de sac - it was too dark last night to see all the remaining sparklers, matches and smokebombs so needed to check for those I missed last night. difficult child had smokebombs and sparklers last night. The neigbor kids came over with their mom. While the mom and I were supervising, the neighbor in between us came out to invite us to watch their fireworks down by the lake off the dock. They had a family reunion weekend so that was nice of them to invite us. Their son spends lots of time planning the fireworks - they lasted a good 1/2 hour.

I need to wake up and get some cleaning done today. :tongue:

Happy Saturday to all of you. Find a way to make your difficult child laugh at least once today (I love hearing my difficult child laugh).​

Andy

SLSH - you snuck in! :D Sounds like you had a wonderful 4th of July! Someday thank you will come around - he most likely enjoyed getting the phone call. Have a great day!

dreamer

I got a nap in and easy child went off to work- have not heard from her so far (knock on wood)
I think paper said they are not spraying for "mozzies"-skeeters cuz of yes, gas prices, and blowing the budget dureing winter from the record amounts of snow and the high costs of plowing and salting etc. I know they also said road kill is not being picked up-removed for the same reason, but, they also might not be spraying for ? allergy? reasons? I'm not sure.
LOL, I cheated and had a scoop of that ice cream for breakfast, and it was YUMMY! (should be,, LOL- the ingrediants are costly and forget what it does to my "healthy eating" LOL)

Yes it was in 40s overnite, but tomorrow it is supposed to edge up towards 90 and by next weekend, towards 100? I much prefer the cooler temps, and my AC is broken.
I decided to mow today, grill out for son and husband and PCs boyfriend later, and maybe take in a fireworks display.
A nice lazy quiet day, really.
I hope that butterfly comes back to visit, it sure was pretty!

Hope everyone is haveing a very nice weekend!
PS good to hear about the floodwater skeeters not supposed to carry West Nile. PCs doctor told her NO skeeter repellants and NO sunscreen. I will stop worrying about West Nile,- LOL, my mom used to worry about that....and I used to tell her not to--really the incidence is low, and most normal healthy people fight it off very well and would not even realize even if they did get it. LOL, maybe I will use that worry on the record number of rabid bats they are finding in my county? LOL- nah.....I will skip the worry. I am just gonna enjoy the weather and sunshine. :)