Good Morning Sunday

Marguerite

G'day, folks.

It's flamin' cold here today (although a lot of you used to snow would scoff at my being such a wimp - it IS above zero, it's even in double figures). Ours is a cold house in winter, despite the heater being on in the living room.

I have been wrapped up and feeling miserable, but taking it easy today. A couple of times I took a b reak from the computer and the kitchen to watch a half-hour TV program - and missed itbecause I fell asleep. When I woke, I found husband had gone online and got a copy of it for me anyway. Lovely man!

Then later in the afternoon I did it again, but this time I was able to rewind it from the computer (Eye TV).

I've had a lazy day, a day when I'mwondering if I might be coming down with something (not again!) because of how I just cna't get warm, I can't stop aching. I was like this yesterday too but had to soldier through. It's been good to just pull my head in today and take it easy.

Now I'm off to turn on the hot water heater and take my vitamins!

Enjoy your Sunday, I hope you all had a wonderful time at the reunion, those of you who went.

Marg

Andy

GOOD MORNING
:D:D:D
Marge - Stay warm. I hope you are not coming down with anything.

Yesterday was quite a bit warmer than Friday. The lady I was working with wore her sweater later in the day but I only put on my winter jacket toward the end of the afternoon.

The fair ended last night and with it my seasonal fair job. I worked 6 hours Wed night, 11 hours on Friday, and 9 hours yesterday. Makes for a nice extra income check. I used to use it for my Christmas shopping but this year there is a Target bill to pay off.

Today I want to go to the Harry Potter movie. I also better get going on a load of clothes for difficult child to hang on the line so he has clean clothes for this week.

My notice of potential layoff did not arrive in the mail yesterday. It was dated the 16th so I was sure I would get mine yesterday. Probably in Monday's mail.

Everyone have a great day and find a way to make your kids laugh.

LittleDudesMom

:D Good Sunday Morning!

Marg, after the busy week you've had, a day of rest is a good thing! I hope you are not coming down with something else, I hope it's just your body saying, "take a chill pill Marg, give it a rest!".

Andy, glad you were able to get yourself some extra income. With all the stuff I've been getting for easy child's new apartment, I could use some extra income as well! I must have missed a post regarding your potential layoff. Is that a sure thing?

A kinda lazy day here. Never made it to the grocer yesterday. easy child and I spent four hours over our youth minister's house visiting (even though it was going to be a 15 minute visit originally). He and his wife are from India and we were dropping off a gift for their daughter's 2nd birthday. She and her mom just spend 7 weeks in India and we wanted to hear all about their trip. Then they invited us for an Indian dinner and we couldn't pass that up!

A quick trip to the grocer and then getting ready for a road trip with easy child. I'm going to take her class at the gym later this afternoon and hopefully a nap is order afterwards...

Wishing you all a relaxing Sunday.

Andy

Little Dude's Mom - I hope you had a GREAT day! The Harry Potter movie was a huge disappointment. With the book being so intense, the movie did not come close to cover the story line or emotions of the ending.

The Saturday Good Morning post explains the potential lay off.

No, this is not for sure - just a heads up that it could happen and I am expected to reply how I want to respond if it does happen.

I am inclined to accept the layoff and be a stay at home mom for awhile but really should wait to see what all my options are before making that decision.

It may not happen at all. I only work 1/2 time and most people want full time. However, if it is enough for someone to be willing to take my 1/2 time position to hang onto State employment until they retire....

I just think it very stinky to take away someone's job in that situation. I really don't want to bump anyone out of their job because I think it so unfair. It makes me sick to know that someone can walz in and snatch my job just because the program they work in is closing.

I think I will most likely get laid off and hopefully something will open soon. Though 1/2 time State jobs that I qualify for are hard to impossible to come by and I am not willing to go full time just yet (if ever).

Last edited:

LittleDudesMom

Andy, using nice words, that's a bummer. So they are asking you to tell them what you would do if you were laid off? Meaning you have some say whether you are laid off or not? I don't really understand that. I would have figured, especially since you are working for a municipality, they can come in and lay off at will.

Good part time jobs are hard to come by, I agree with that. I hope it works out being a situation that works best for your family.

Sharon

Andy

They are asking me if I will choose the option to bump someone with less senority out of their job OR if I will just accept a straight up lay off in the event that someone does claim my job.

If I say I would like to look at the option of bumping another position, the person in THAT job would get the same notice as I did saying "your job is in danger of being taken from you".

I don't know how many "small" programs are under the budget cutting block. When funds are pulled and jobs are loss then the bumping system starts. I work for the State of Minnesota.

I will be fine accepting the straight lay off if that is the result. So, if indeed someone does come and take my job, it will be sad to leave that position but it will be o.k. if I don't have income for awhile. I wonder if I can get unemployment if there was a job available to bump and I chose not too? One question to ask HR.

I am kinda looking forward to not working this winter.

I will know for sure the end of next month if I still have this job or not.

NO ONE knows what I do exactly so to have someone new in the position with no one to really train them in (I created the how-tos of this position - was told the basic end result management needed and had to figure out how to get there from scratch) will be interesting to say the least.

I doubt I will have time to update my Standard Operating Procedure book but will see what I can do if this does happen.

LittleDudesMom

Cautiously speak to your HR person. An employer's unemployment tax rate is based on claims experience. The fewer unemployment claims of past employees, the lower their tax rate. You may be better off actually calling the state umemployment office for Minnesota.

If you are laid off, then you are definately eligible. If you choose to let someone else "have" your job, I'm not so sure. Here in my state, Virginia, there are really only two cut and dry reasons why you would not receive unemployment (which are federally mandated) if you quit your job without good cause, or if you were fired from your job for misconduct in connection with your work. I would imagine the "good cause" of the first scenario would be subjective in your case?

Sharon

Andy

Thank you - I will contact the State Unemployment if I do take a layoff. I like your insight. I do know and trust the HR person I will be meeting with. That is a big help right now. I know she is on my side.

I would not be "allowing" someone to take my job - they can just take it without my permission - I have no say in it. If I do have a say, I definetely will not let them have it. I would think it my right not to be forced to work a job I do not want to just because someone forced my job away from me.

My question would then be if I refuse to take someone else's job away from them would I still be considered eligible for unemployment? I am out a job but because I refused to bump someone out of their job so am I out completely? Probably because the last person to be bumped would have the lowest unemployment benefits and the state would rather pay them than me? I can see them saying, "We took away your job but because you did not accept this other position you do not qualify for unemployment." Oh well! I can only ask - better a "no" than later find out I should have filed.

Since I am putting so much commotion in this at this point it probably will not even happen? Maybe this will be all for not but better prepared than caught off guard.