Good news and can I just shoot myself now news

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
My office lease ends next month, and I have been just chewing my nails wondering what is going to happen. Am I going to be jobless or not. I have been working at the same place for 18 years and I so was having anxiety attacks about possibly having to start all over again. I specialize in catastrophe insurance and am still reeling with the after effects from Katrina, not to mention fires and floods and waiting for the other shoe to drop in the form of the enivitable... quakes.

Spoke to my boss yesterday and he is letting me move the office to the house..big hugh sigh of relief.

So as SO and I were figuring out a game plan, in walks Dex, who tells me he needs a place to stay for a few months as his roommate is selling the house, and the other roommate has moved out already. Has plans to move in with someone from work, but that is going to be a few months still.

He has come to stay with us before for a few months and faithfully paid his rent till he found other accomodations so it isn't a problem but jeeze, he is just such an English excentric and talks non stop (most times to himself) mostly about politics...and soccer. When he is not watching the news he is taping he news while he is at work so he can watch it when he gets home - am talking 24 hours a day here, and itsn't it just my luck its an election year. :sick: SO says he is thankful the world cup isn't going on at the same time

Needless to say I am putting the idea of installing a big flat screen in the den next to where I will be working on hold till he moves out again. He can discuss the news with himself in his own room thank you very much.

difficult child is ok with him staying again for a few months - easy child doesn't know yet..his dad's constant yammering drives HIM up a wall. He probably won't quit his second job now till his father moves out again.. The boy is a definate lover of absolute quiet.

But the good news is I still have a job...yeah...

Marcie

mstang67chic

Going Green
List of things to properly set up new home office:

Desk and chair
Filing cabinet
Phone
Fax
Computer
Printer

Ummm...let's see...

Oh...

High quality, outside noise blocking headphones connected to radio/cd player/ipod.

These could also be used for Dex so YOU don't have to listen to the news!

On the plus side.....if he's faithful about paying his rent, you've got some extra money coming in for a time.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow -- I don't think I could handle having a Dex living in my house! But that's me. ;)

That's great news about your job -- it will also mean you're saving gas, right? And please STOP thinking about major earthquakes 'cuz I'm living on a major fault and that's just NOT going to happen to me... (yes, I DO have earthquake insurance, which in NOT CHEAP in CA)!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Geez, Marcie...I don't know what to say!!

Glad that you have a job. That is for sure.

Other than that, I'm living with 5 guys who have sports blaring all the time. Again, someone hide the sporks from me.'

Abbey

TerryJ2

Holy cow. I couldn't live like that. I mean, I believe in generosity and all, but that would be too uncomfortable for me.
I LOVE Mstang's idea for headphones! Way To Go!!!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Ok I am a dork. When I read Dex I read it as short for Dexter. Because in my head I couldn't imagine having one of my ex's in the house. Good luck with all that.

I am very glad you get to keep your job and work from home. You can go to work in your jammies if you want now.

beth

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
GVCMom - I only work a mile away from the house now - I had the option when I moved from Glendale to work from the house, but at the time Dan was on a full roll, SO hospitalized almost every other week and on life support, and I needed a place to go to every day to keep my sanity (what little I ever had in the first place)

As far as fault lines go, we are all living on top of them - am sure the people in Northridge were surprised as heck cause as much as they are mapped ad nasuem, who knew LOL

Do yourself a favor though and shop your earthquake insurance like you do car insurance - rates right now are very low and if your homeowners insurance offers it to you, chances are your premiums and deductible is higher than you can get as a standalone policy..
(Not a solicitation from me as I don't deal with the general public)

It should be an interesting few months to say the least with Dex in residence again. He definately makes a better friend than a husband ROFLMBO. If I had a say in a diagnosis for him, definately hi functioning aspergers with a little Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) thrown in for good measure. SO likes him (in small doses as dex talking and laughing to himself eventually gives him a headache) and has only asked that I lock up the sticky notes this time as dex cannot help himself and starts pasting them up everywhere with little thoughts that pop into his head.

Marcie

Abbey

Spork Queen
Personally, Marcie, I think it is wonderful that you are still on very good terms with ex, as well as your SO. Like you said...sometimes it's better to be friends than be married. I'm sure he greatly appreciates the help.

Abbey

Stella Johnson

Good to hear you still have a job;)

I still think you are nuts for letting any ex move in:crazy2::crazy2:

Maybe you should call your house "Mac's Homeless Shelter" and get a tax deduction:bravo:

Star*

call 911........call 911
When I say that you're a bigger woman that I am - THAT is saying A LOT.

WOW. WOW......TRIPLE WOW. (bows to the woman of the day) WOW.

Glad you still have a job. Are YOU going to get the tax credit? But what would one be proper in saying for taking back ones yammering English eccentric ex husband into her home?

WOW.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Mom? Dex?

Mom? Dex?

Well, thank goodness you are moving your office home and don't have room for both of them, Marcie.

You are a saint.

XXX Suz

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Hmmmm...me a saint LOL

Mom doesn't know that dex is moving in for a while- lets just say they are not fond of each other. She couldn't come anyway because of the "no air" in double digit heat - she has been calling once a week to see if I have gotten the estimate to put in air conditioning yet. Not a high on my priority list right at the moment as I am trying to downsize an office equiped for four people into one and rearrange my living room into an office so I can work and rearrange the garage for storage of office "stuff" and find places for the stuff that is in the spare bedroom dex will be staying in.

Star, we haven't even discussed who is getting the tax write off - am just so happy to be able to keep working and getting a paycheck :) If all he does is pay for the phones and fax, I am a happy camper. I will take the write off I think-but I am glad you mentioned it because now I have to call the tax guy and see how that is done

I am just trying not to stress out right now over all the stuff that has to be done..

Marcie

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
picking jaw up off of floor WOW dex living with you? You are a strong woman, I know I could not do that, I can't let him within 20 feet of me without feeling weak, of course now he is 6 states away, whew!