Good thoughts, etc. please!

tiredmommy

Duckie's sensory issues spiked at school in February resulting in a meltdown that brought in the school counselor. Her classroom is quite loud and she has been struggling for awhile. She hasn't been in Occupational Therapist (OT) at school for almost two years and the school really isn't set-up to help with integration (it's not "academic", Know what I mean??) so we have an Occupational Therapist (OT) coming to the house tomorrow to re-evaluate and develop a program. Besides, Duckie doesn't want to be pulled out if at all possible. The school Occupational Therapist (OT) has expressed interest in being in communication with the private Occupational Therapist (OT) if she thinks there are any classroom accommodations needed. So wish us luck...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Absolutely, good bead rattling coming your way! I always hated those classrooms, myself. I like quiet.

tiredmommy

Thanks. She gets sensory overload when she's touched too much or things are noisy. The other girls are very clingy, quite a few kids are loud and one little guy has a habit of shouting throughout the school day. AND she loops with this group for 5th grade. She's doing well academically but is often stressed out by the time she gets home. Hopefully the sensory diet will help her.

Jena

aw classrooms can be sooo loud!!! good luck with-the diet thing too. have you ever tried desensitizing her to the noises? difficult child had issues with that also so we're working on putting her in the noises more often, hard to explain so that she adapts and can handle it come september. i personally go in overload in a classroom. :)

either way good luck!

tiredmommy

The Occupational Therapist (OT) was here for 3.5 hours evaluating Duckie: taking a history, observing & speaking with her. We'll be using the Wilbarger Brushing Protocol starting today. We'll also do joint compressions, breathing, and exercise for 30 minutes daily. I'll be going to the school each day next week for a few minutes so I have to email her teacher (we're off this week). Duckie seemed very relaxed after the brushing/compressions... much more relaxed than I've seem her in a long time.

Star*

call 911........call 911
What about packages of disposable foam earplugs?

Some are rated for different levels of noise? I carry some in my glove box and purse all the time. The ones I use for the shooting range block out almost all the sound, but the ones I use in Walmart block out ALL THE SOUND. lol.

They sell them by the level of decibels you wish to block. And they are disposable and sell in large boxes. Just thinking -------it helps me with my auditory overload. As far as touchy-feely? Well I can only tell her that THAT will get better with age.

tiredmommy

Thanks, Star. We do use ear plugs when indicated: at fireworks displays, parades, etc. She really can't use them in class, though, because she could block out verbal instruction. We're trying to improve how her body reacts to and processes the stimulation rather than block the stimulation. We've decided to look at this as an opportunity to improve her sensory integration rather than avoid the problem.

shellyd67

Poor Duckie. Classrooms sometimes sound like a war zone. difficult child asked his Teacher to test in the hallway because his classroom was SO LOUD for "him". He does much better this way. Good Luck finding some tools to help her along.