Good Thursday Morning

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's another hot and glorious day in North Carolina. Sky is Carolina blue today.
It's really my Friday. Tomorrow husband and I are driving to a family reunion(his mother's side). We will see his parents and siblings and their kids. I look forward to it. His family doesn't do the in fighting. No over the top emotionalism or competitiveness. It's refreshing. I'm not sure my side is quite there yet. :916blusher: We are working on it.

I am looking forward to seeing my difficult child. There was a time when I worried that he would rage. It's funny but gradually it has come that he matured enough that he is dependable in groups to not lose his temper. He may beat your ear about some arcane topic and wear clothes that look like he slept in them but all in all he isn't a worry about raging in public anymore.

Have a wonderful day. Find something positive to look forward to today.

Marguerite

Enjoy your family time, Fran. I always like summer driving, to family reunion/happy times. It's relaxing, there's a sense of adventure, but you still know where you will be going and you can anticipate it with pleasure. I hope difficult child is on his best behaviour for you, too. He really has come a long way.

We had a cold, windy day today but at least the wind dried the washing. I've been on the site a bit today, but my fingers are numb from the cold so I'm making more typos. difficult child 3 is working steadily but slowly on his schoolwork. I think he did a little better today on the higher dosage but I might cut him back again over the weekends. We have to change school subjects tomorrow, he needs to put in some time on subjects other than maths. He got an award in the post form his History teacher (he does her lessons online at the moment) so I can relax a little about not really knowing how he's going!

I cooked a beef korma for dinner tonight (there's something about eating curry in cold weather!) and found that SOMEONE has eaten all the poppadums and NOT put them on the shopping list. I suspect it was easy child 2/difficult child 2 and BF2. He's still not into our family habits, and she can be very thoughtless sometimes. Oh well, poppadums don't go so well with korma anyway.

Nothing much else happening here except paperwork and phone calls. It's not raining here but the wind can be very cold. difficult child 3 went for a long walk this afternoon, he said he was going out to the headland. It's a beautiful but often lonely place especially in winter. Wilderness, low scrubby forest, a few springs one of which ends in a waterfall at the cliff. If he wanted to, he could continue south and walk for days, still in wilderness. The path is marked, it is well trafficked over the weekends with bushwalkers and campers. difficult child 3 goes to see how the plants are regenerating, after some repairs were done on the path and bushes were damaged in the process. I think he must know every little green shoot by now! As the weather warms up the regrowth will happen very fast.

Enjoy your Thursday.

Marg

tiredmommy

Good morning. :coffee:

Fran- Enjoy your "Friday". It sounds as though the reunion will be fun! My family is more like your family, lol! :rofl:

Today is FINALLY Duckie's very last day of school! I think she's the last child on the board to start summer vacation. :( She has next week off, then starts handwriting camp two mornings a week. She did well on her report card, even bringing up her organization grade to a "meets". She's excited that she stays in the same classroom in the multiage program, she loves her teacher. My bff was joking that the teacher wanted to keep *me* since I send in homemade snacks regularly, lol!:morecrackers:

Today is our final push before the big party. I have 32 kids and 13 adults confirmed (including me family). It'll be a blast! The only bad part is that we're expecting thunderstorms today, so I can't set up the furniture or tent yet. Maybe before nightfall or first thing tomorrow...:beach_ball:

Have a great day! Hi to anyone that snuck in. :salute:

slsh

member since 1999
Good moring all! It's been a while since I've made it to a good morning thread, but it's a summertime goal for me.

Fran, sounds like I beautiful day for you. I love the Carolinas... such wonderful geography. Funny how spouses can come from such different kinds of families yet still meld so well. I'm so glad to hear your confidence in difficult child. Had to chuckle about arcane topics - it's amazing how specialized our kids' knowledge bases can be.

This has been my first week working part time and it's been such a relief. Weeburt left this morning for 3 weeks camping/rafting/climbing in CO and UT, so it's been a mad rush to make sure he had all his equipment. Do you know how hard it is to find long underwear in June???? I'm a bit of a wreck about my baby being gone but I know it will be a phenomenal experience for him.

Going to finish up work then *hopefully* finish up painting Boo's new wheelchair-accessible bathroom and husband's and my new bedroom. The guys are just putting the finishing touches on - we should be completely done with construction in about 3 weeks - yeah! husband is supposedly working on a brick walkway out front - we shall see. It may turn out to be another DIY project that we have to hire someone to finish. We are just not handy people.

Hope everyone has a grand day and the heat doesn't make the kids too cranky. Hug 'em when you get a chance - I'm stunned at how quicky they grow up!

KateM

Good morning, all!

Fran -- I love family reunions! Isn't it wonderful to be looking forward to seeing difficult child and not worried about his behavior!

Marg -- You always are making some delicious dish! What are poppadums -- are they similar to potatoes?

TM-- Yeah for Duckie's last day! Is school's end always this late or did you have alot of snow days to amke up? Have fun at your party!

Slsh-- Wow, that sounds like quite an adventure for Weebert! Your husband sounds like mine-- he's so busy with work that we do hire out projects that we've started!

Today my difficult child goes for a second interview for his first adult job. Please rattle your beads for him! My daughter and I will be shopping for her upcoming trip to Australia. I PM'd Marg a few weeks ago for packing tips for this time of year in the Downunder -- thanks again. Marg! My easy child is really looking forward to this trip of a lifetime!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Fran-Sounds gorgeous where you are! I love family reunions-my dad's side is like your husband's side of the family. It is refreshing! It's so nice to hear of how well your difficult child is maturing that you don't have to worry about the raging in public:)

Marg-I'm sorry it's so cold where you are but glad it isn't us right now. I would love to see your corner of the world-it sounds beautiful!

TM-Yeah for Duckie's last day of school:abouttime: I'm glad Duckie will be in the same room next year-it's nice when they already know the teacher and like her.

SLSH-It's good to see you on the morning thread! Sounds like an exciting trip for Weeburt! You sound much more handy than my husband and myself-we wouldn't even attempt most of what you are doing.;)

It's warm here already-71 and heading to 88. We got our ac working and it didn't cost us at all-apparently when we had to get the new furnace in the winter they didn't hook something up.

Perfect pool day except we have a meeting at 12:30 with people working on difficult child's case. difficult child won't be there as he'll be at basketball camp. I'm totally bummed about not being able to go to the pool:(
Oh well, I guess it's better for my skin if I don't go.

I will get to the club and squeeze in a nap somehow!

Wishing everyone a happy summer's day.:beach:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Kate-You snuck in on me-crossing fingers for difficult child's job. How cool that you are going to Australia!

Marguerite

Kate, poppadums are flat discs made from lentil flour. When you cook them they puff up and get huge and crisp. You either deep-fry them or you can cook them in the microwave for a few seconds, although they don't puff up as big in the microwave. You eat them with a curry and can spoon curry & rice onto the poppadum and take a big bite - yum! I suspect easy child 2/difficult child 2 & BF2 were cooking them in the microwave and eating them straight, like crisps. I don't mind that, I just object to them not being put on the shopping list so we could buy more!
And your daughter must be getting excited about the trip - all round Sydney, the illuminated billboards are counting down the days to the Pope's arrival. husband's niece is coming over form Perth for it.
Make sure your daughter packs an empty suitcase so she can buy lots of goodies to take home - genuine Aussie uggs (much cheaper, make sure they're real sheepskin though - Aussie ones are various brands, like sneakers can be many brands) and Drizabone coats. If she buys an Akubra (hat) she can wear it.

Sue, Boo's new bathroom sounds exciting. husband & I stayed in a motel which had a really well-designed wheelies' bathroom, you could reach anywhere with the hand-held shower and all the water drained easily into the shower grating.

TM, I hope the party goes well and the weather is kind to you.

Sharon/Wiped, that was good news about the a/c Occupational Therapist (OT) costing. Don't fret about the pool - maybe you can get in an evening swim?

Marg

Andy

GOOD MORNING!!!

Fran - This is also my Friday - Aren't early Fridays the greatest? Especially when they are before a special event. Have a great time!

Marguerite - Nature walks are so good for kids. Your difficult child has the best place to explore. Glad to hear he is doing well in school work.

Tired Mommy - Knowing the teacher is so helpful. My kids go to a very small school where last year all three teachers taught at least two classes. (Math teacher taught all the grades in math, ect.) So, the kids learn who all the teachers are (nd the teachers learn the kids). Your upcoming party does sound like a blast - you have so many coming I bet some of us can sneak in and you wouldn't even know we were there until the chocolates start dissappearing.

SLSH - Enjoy your work schedule - I know I love my 4 hour days - don't think I could ever adjust to full time again - I hope your camper is enjoying the adventure - There will be a lot of updates in the house when he gets home.

Kate - Your kids are facing some life changing events - The first real job is so important and a trip to Australia! Wow - that would be exciting.

Wiped Out - I am glad your a/c is working - We have also turned our on for the summer - now for the "husband turns up to 80, Adrianne turns down to 75" - we do the same in the winter but husband turns heat down to 72 and Adrianne turns it up to 78. The pool is sure calling you - it is getting stronger every day - you better find the time soon.

We got through yesterday's very busy schedule. difficult child was upset about the baseball game loss ("I hate outfield, no one ever hits the ball to me." Not true but outfield does tend to be boring at this age). Oh well, he handled the disappointment very well considering the long day he had.

Today - sitter in the a.m., football camp 12:30 - 2:00, a retirement party for a county worker that I work with through my job, dinner with a neighbor, and the beach. I bought a red/white/blue metal oval tray, put a patriotic pitcher, bowls, cups, napkins, table cloth, and a pinwheel in for the retirement gift. I don't know this person outside of work so really don't know her personal interests. I have a hard time buying gifts when I don't know the person.

difficult child understood my practice trumpet = beach as he gets to go to the beach every day that he practices. I can't get him there everyday so told him that we will go every day that we can and if he practices on days we don't go also, he gets extra time at the beach. So, he practiced yesterday and after he practices today, we go to the beach for both days.

Oh my, 7:30 already? Gotta Run.

Good Morning to anyone who snuck in within the last 20 minutes it took for me to type this.