good vibes, prayers, rattle bones requested

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ditto. That's too much loss in too short a period. The bigger question, in my opinion, is WHY isn't he eating?

seriously

Thank you ladies. My thoughts exactly, minus a few expletives.

So he could stand to lose that 21 pounds. That is NOT the point.

So we can explain the loss by low calorie intake. That is NOT the point.

We cannot explain WHY he won't eat. THAT is the point....

I left a message for his psychiatrist but I can tell you what she will say. No reason his psychiatric medications should be causing this.

That's not to say there's not some mood issue or God forbid eating disorder thing going on.

But my Momsense is on alert and it's telling me it's not a psychiatric issue, at least not primarily.

We see the pediatrician at 3:30 our time, that's 90 minutes from now. We can draw labs tomorrow, assuming they are going to want a fasting draw to check glucose levels. That means results partly tomorrow and partly the next day or longer since the pediatrician gi is asking for a bunch of vitamin and mineral labs in addition to the regular panel. And the LFT's don't get back that fast so Friday is probably the soonest we will have all the main labs back. The CBC will be back within a couple hours though so anything there will be seen ASAP. Not sure how long it takes for the Albumin - that's the one the pediatrician gi seems most interested in right now.

Will keep you posted.

Hope my Momsense is totally off base this time.

seriously

OMG.

I think my face is still burning from embarrassment.

We get to pediatrician's office and he weighs exactly 6 # less than a month ago. I make them weigh him twice.

I am like, what the heck??? Our scale is off by 15#??????

I had done my weight the same day and it was right - I know my weight and there is no way I would be off by 15#. Plus we have 2 scales and it was the same on both of them.

doctor does exam, all OK, doesn't seem upset at all, documents the mild weight loss and such and sends us on our way.

I get home and I go straight to the scale. Weigh myself - yep same as before.

Son, I say. Come here and let's see what you weigh.

Son steps on scale and his weight is 155 - not the 169 he was at the doctor's office.

Why you ask??? Because he is hanging on the towel bar positioned on the wall above the scale!

I couldn't decide whether to fall down laughing or bonk him on the head. I think I did some of both.

So ladies. That is the key to the 2# a day diet.

Get yourself a towel bar and rely on it to raise your spirits and lower your weight any time you need it.

Mattsmom277

ROFLMAO That's great, the towel bar! Who'd have thunk it?

Don't be embarrassed at all, it is something could happen to any of us. Let's all learn from this so that if any of our sneaky husband's or S/O's pop in the room to gawk when we do a weigh in at home, we can shrink our numbers a bit by grabbing the towel bar.

I for one thank your son for the tip! ;)

On a serious note, any of us would have done the same and worried. You did the right thing in checking it out. Now, since he had some weight to lose, 6lbs seems a healthy weight loss in a young man so a big Way To Go for him! I'd focus perhaps on the stamina issue, could something in his medications be making him lose energy? Is he secretly up late and not sleeping enough to be energized during the day? Is his mood lower than he admits as that could explain the stamina too.

DDD

I missed your post until five minutes ago. When I read it I felt so guilty that I hadn't rendered the support that you obviously deserved. How funny! Now I can be the first to say Way To Go tracking the problem down. Geez, kids never cease to amaze! DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I wonder, too, if any of the new medications may have affected his appetite? difficult child 2 went through a "bingeing" period when his medications weren't quite right. He's now got a normal teenage appetite and makes reasonably healthy food choices.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I never dreamed I needed to supervise him weighing himself. He's 15 for heaven's sake.

Seriously? Doesn't surprise me one bit. He is a difficult child, afterall. We've had our share of "are-you-kidding-me" moments when my difficult children' self-care deficiencies got the spotlight. :rolleyes:

TerryJ2

Oh, dear. Poor thing.

Funny you should say he's got Crohn's. My b-i-l has it, and my nephew has something-or-other, and in fact, went in for surgery last night and didn't actually have surgery until this afternoon. He had severe hemorroids and while he was under, decided to do a colonoscopy.
He's on a mostly gluten free diet (what teen doesn't cheat?) and he gets sick fairly often. He's had pneumonia twice in the last 20 mo's, and went to the ER once for it.

That is all to say, that things can masquerade as other things and I'd be doing a workup, for sure.

Please let us know what the dr says about the test results, and how your son is doing.

TerryJ2

Well, the dr's think my 17-yr-old nephew has it. That hoovers.

How are things going for you all today?