Got psychiatric Report Today....

I'm not a big fan of all the stuff that goes along with the caffeine in soda pop. Any chance you could get him to take a caffeine pill? That way you know whether it is the caffeine, or the sugar, coloring, additives, etc. that is making the change.

husband was a 4 Mt. Dew a day guy. He also put on 45 pounds. He's a caffeine tablet guy now. He lost about 35 pounds.

I think that there maybe another ingredient in the pop that is causing difficult child 2's reaction because when he was in Ritalin it didn't do a thing...even when the doctor upped his dose on it....at first I thought it was just me seeing it but then I asked his Learning Disability (LD) teacher if she was seeing it as well and she said there was no difference on or off the medications.

I am thinking that I would need to break down what is in the mt dew to find out what he is reacting too?

Last edited:

smallworld

Which difficult child is this?
Does he have an IEP?

My younger daughter is very slow in work production as well. I told the school that schoolwork needs to stay in school. They either need to reduce the amount of work or give her extra time to complete it. We are also trying to get her an IEP that would provide a resource class to teach study skills and organization.

Superpsy

The psychiatric is reporting percentile ranks not percentages. For example,

on the CBCL problem scales, total problems, internalizing and externalizing score are all above 90th percentile

This means that on the checklists used (parent, teacher, student etc.) his behavior was rated as bad as or worse than 90% of children his age/grade (depending on the norms used). Your therapist was right in how she described it: if you were to line up 100 kids difficult child's behavior was rated worse than 90 of them.

Using checklists like this is actually fairly common. Not all checklists/inventories are created equal (depends on reliability, validity etc.) and some should only be used for screening while others can be used to make clinical decisions. I think it's better than a diagnostic interview/intake but not as good as a direct assessment (e.g. a test of executive functioning). The best approach is to use all.

I'm not quite sure how the psychiatric got working memory disorder from these checklists. It would make more sense to me if he had a direct assessment in there.

SRL

Often they don't like to send out reports like this so they can sit down and discuss the results of the testing with you.

The psychiatric is reporting percentile ranks not percentages. For example,

This means that on the checklists used (parent, teacher, student etc.) his behavior was rated as bad as or worse than 90% of children his age/grade (depending on the norms used). Your therapist was right in how she described it: if you were to line up 100 kids difficult child's behavior was rated worse than 90 of them.

Using checklists like this is actually fairly common. Not all checklists/inventories are created equal (depends on reliability, validity etc.) and some should only be used for screening while others can be used to make clinical decisions. I think it's better than a diagnostic interview/intake but not as good as a direct assessment (e.g. a test of executive functioning). The best approach is to use all.

I'm not quite sure how the psychiatric got working memory disorder from these checklists. It would make more sense to me if he had a direct assessment in there.

Thanks for your help. I really need to contact that doctor so I can understand this better...WTH why would he just send this with no explanations nothing!