Got the gift....

Lothlorien

Been racking my brains for father in law. I asked you all in an earlier thread. I kept looking for "experience" gifts, but couldn't figure one out. I had gotten him and mother in law (who has since passed) a dinner cruise around Manhattan for four several years ago and they never used it. Anyway....was looking into those "gift of the month" clubs and found one where you can chose from a variety of things. So each month they will get something different. Husband loved the idea! Yay!

DammitJanet

My father was always the hardest person to buy for because he was older and he really had everything he wanted or if he did want something, he could go get it! I did end up making him a wonderful present one year when I found all the old records from when he was on his ship in WWII. I found pictures of his ship and pictures of the Kamikaze planes dive bombing it. It was amazing. I printed it all out and had it bound in a book. My middle son happened to go to his house the day after Xmas that year and told me he talked of nothing else. He showed everyone who came into the house that book..lol. I could never do better than that so I was stuck. I normally got him those Incredible Arrangements made with fruit because he loved them. Better than flowers. The year we found out he had cancer I got him a Mp3 player that also played videos and I downloaded all these songs he loved. I found stuff from the 40's and 50's.

Lothlorien

That is a great gift Janet! Some years we just hit it out of the park, but then everything else pales in comparison, right?

DammitJanet

Yep. I actually have one of the nicer gifts I gave my dad and step-mom one year. Its a clock that on the hour plays a song. You can flip a switch and during the Xmas season it plays Xmas songs. During the year it plays other songs. We have it switched off during the year but play it during Xmas.