Got the inevitable call from day camp...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
regarding difficult child 2 today. Actually, I was surprised they waited until nearly 3pm to call! As I expected, he was falling apart this afternoon and had pretty much little to no impulse control. Disregarded camp leader instructions when he was told to stop a particular behavior (going back into an activity when he was told to stay out, pushing his way up a waterslide ladder, trying to go down the slide on his feet, splashing others, etc.)

They all remember him and know that he has attention issues, but that he is also a really great kid who has a lot of enthusiasm and zest for life. I also explained that he has "emotional problems" (not sure how else to explain the mood disorder without having their eyes glaze over) and that his medications are still being adjusted.

They agreed with my suggestion to let him try 1/2 days for the next two days to see if that works better. Then perhaps extending the day a 1/2 hour at a time if it seems to be working. I'm totally fine with that. Afternoons are still hard for him and I don't think the Seroquel XR is at an optimum level yet. We go back to see the psychiatrist this Thursday and will address it then.

difficult child 2 is fine with the plan, too. He said, "I just don't want to get in trouble anymore." So we'll try for a little earlier bedtime tonight and cross our fingers for tomorrow!

klmno

Sorry you got the call that we all dread (but have had many times). But, it sounds like you have a great plan and are staying up on things. It will work out- there aren't that many weeks left in the summer!

smallworld

Sorry you got "the call." Hope things improve with the half days.

This summer my son's psychiatrist lowered his Seroquel dose to 400 mg from 600 mg. He was very sleepy in the mornings so he was switched to 400 mg Seroquel XR. No change in sleepiness AND he became more irritable and oppositional. The psychiatrist decided to zoom right back up to 600 mg regular Seroquel. He's already doing better. I'm not sure we're going to try 600 mg Seroquel XR.

What dose is difficult child 2 taking?

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I am dreading the same call and difficult child II has not even started camp yet. And the camp I am sending him to has a strict "no tolerance" policy about violent and aggressive behavior. They get expelled and you get no refund. Not my idea to send him either, I am being politely pressured by our "family team" (In home/CMO SW) to take a chance, and let him have fun. But they're only paying for half of the 2 weeks he's hopefully going.

we will see, glad at least they're willing to work with you and difficult child

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks klmno, Terry, AOG... I'm handling this much better than I did last year ;)

SW -- He's at 400mg XR ( plus 500mg Depaiote ER) now and I really think he needs to go higher. By 2 or 3pm he starts to fall apart. Gets emotiomally reactive, stuck thinking, hyperactive, lousy impulse control, oppostional... He is also very sleepy ( I've been letting him sleep late all summer, sometimes past noon!) The binge eating has dropped off, and I'm hoping the sedation gets better with time also.

smallworld

Believe it or not, sedation is better at higher Seroquel doses than lower (google Seroquel and you will see). husband and I agreed tonight that J is doing a lot better already on 600 mg Seroquel (and we just raised it back up Friday night).

I hope the psychiatrist will listen to you on Thursday.

susiestar

Roll With It
It is never fun to get the call, but it really sounds like it helped you reach a good plan. I think difficult child's attitude of "I don't want to get in trouble" is excellent and will help everything. It sounds like he just can't help the behaviors at this point. So half days are great, along with the medication adjustment.

Maybe the no-fun phone call will end up helping everyone?

Christy

Good plan. I hope it goes well. At least the camp is willing to work with you.

Good luck with the rest of the week.
Christy

B

butterflydreams

Hope your plan goes well. It just breaks my heart to hear the difficult child's when they say "I don't want to act this way". When my difficult child has told me that I just want to cry.

Christy