Got the offical diagnosis today.....

It's been awhile since I've posted but here goes....

I went to Vanderbilt today and got the offical diagnosis from the doctor. She went over the data about how he's above average IQ, articulate and meticulious. OKay....and he has Asperger's. His language & speech skills are lacking and he needs therapy.

Everything I already knew. Luckily the school has been wonderful and trying to help him. The therapist at his elementary school will be at each school he attends all the way through high school.

Since we're all close, teacher, therapist...etc. We're pleased with the effort being put forth.

Now with that tackled I've just got to get little man adjusted.

smallworld

I always felt relieved and overwhelmed when we received official dxes for our kids. Relieved that we had a name and game plan for what was going on and overwhelmed at how much I didn't know and how much I had to do. After our son received his first diagnosis at age 9, our very wise pediatrician said to me, "You're very thorough and attentive to your kids. In time you will know what to do." He was right.

Take it one step at a time, one day at a time. You will get there. It just takes time.

TerryJ2

Ahhh.

Well, that's a step in the right direction. Thanks for posting. Let us know if anything changes at school once they know.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sounds like you are on the right path. Having a decent IQ allows that he can learn to get around the obstacles that AS puts in the path.
You did good, advocating for your child.

Thanks for the comments. I was suprised when the doctor said that I was miles ahead of other parents that come in there. That we were all lucky to have each other. I knew that's what he had but you need an offical diagnosis to put on the shelf and carry on.

I'm thankful that our school system has great employees that care enough about my kiddo. His teacher calls me everyday when she gets home just to keep communication key.

DDD

Great news. You really are fortunate to live where you live and have quality supports available. Congrats! DDD

Marguerite

Surprise, surprise. (not)

That is really good news, though. At least, I think so. There is a lot of positive stuff about Asperger's. And it sounds like you are already well on the way to getting him the sort of help and support he needs.

Really pleased for you.

Marg