government housing

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Malika, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Malika

Malika Well-Known Member

I'm translating the memoirs of a French president for an American publisher and need help with a word. What do you call cheap, government-subsidised accommodation in the US? I think there's a word for it, it's on the tip of my tongue... is it just government housing?
  2. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

Low income housing, HUD housing, income-based housing that's about all I can think of

Government housing could be confused with military housing
  3. Malika

Malika Well-Known Member

Project housing, that was the phrase I was trying to think of - is that from the US?
  4. ThreeShadows

ThreeShadows Quid me anxia?

Are you talking about HLM?
  5. InsaneCdn

InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

What is the term in French? That will give me a bit more idea...

Project Housing... definitely isn't Canadian.
  6. AnnieO

AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

Around here we call it Section 8...
  7. DammitJanet

Well Section 8 housing is for actual private houses or apartments and is a certain type of HUD program not the low income based apartments themselves. Yes "the projects" could be a term that would be used in a book.
  8. Malika

Malika Well-Known Member

Yes, I gather there were some notorious "projects" in Chicago, for example.
    I think "public housing" may be the best term.
  9. DammitJanet

There are notorious projects in most big cities.
  10. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Yes they were referred to as the "projects" years ago. I'm sure that term is no longer used but it was when I was growing up.

11. susiestar

susiestar Roll With It

The term "the projects" is still used in some large cities. It is a term most people in the US would understand if they read the book, but I don't know if people in other countries would know.
  12. KTMom91

KTMom91 Well-Known Member

I was also thinking "the projects."
  13. Malika

Malika Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I take it "public housing" would be universally understood?
  14. klmno

klmno Active Member

If this is a professional book or more than a novel, I think you would use either public housing or some of the other terms DJ suggested. Although 'the projects' is understood by most Americans, it isn't really a term that is politically correct these days and some people are offended by it.
  15. AnnieO

AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

I would stick with "public housing" as well...
  16. InsaneCdn

InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

"Public housing" is generic enough that Canadians would figure it out too... so, probably safe!
  17. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

"Projects" are what we call them. "HUD" and "Section 8" are very specific programs that you wouldn't want to cite unless they were actually the government "project" being utilized.
  18. Signorina

Signorina Guest

The "projects" were "Public Housing Developments".

So, I guess if you mean to suggest subsidized housing for low income people - I'd use the term "public housing".

If you mean to suggest a denser concentration of low income housing complexes that later became blighted - I'd use the term "Public Housing Developments."
  19. HaoZi

HaoZi Guest

20. Malika

Malika Well-Known Member

Lol (I think?) HaoZi