Great Kroger Deal

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This week krogers has a deal where if you buy 4 boxes of General Mills cereal, you get 2 free gallons of milk. Look in your ad though because there are some places where this is altered due to laws or some such.

I had coupons for general mills cereal. So I used them with the deal. And because I had a wild snarky moment, I had the cashier make certain my 4 gallons of milk were free. I bought 8 boxes of cereal, in addition to the oh I think 18 boxes last week for under a dollar. Those gallons of milk are now sitting in my new deep freeze.

But even without the coupons, if you need the cereal anyway, it's a pretty awesome deal.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I could really use that help... I thought I was doing good getting 10# of chicken leg/thigh quarters for $5.

Then again, I did not have my coupons.

My problem is the looking for the specials... I hate shopping.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
krazy coupon lady she does most of my searching, I just copy /paste and hunt down the coupons.......and then add my own stuff. And she even has what coupons and in what combinations you need for the best deal.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup. You can freeze milk. Just once it's defrosted, make sure to shake it up.

My mom froze milk all the time.

P

PatriotsGirl

I had no idea!!!! WOW. How long does it stay good for after you thaw it?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Same as when you get it, give or take a few days.

It goes so fast in my house, it wouldn't go bad. I can't remember the last time milk went bad. I buy 2-4 gallons at a time.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I also buy 2-4 gallons at a time. Used to be 8 gallons at a time, then the kids moved out. lol

I had to freeze this batch because my frig is full of sale chicken from this week and last week. I've still got to freezer bag them and get them into the freezer.

My mom had 5 kids and a milk obsession. If it went on sale, she bought as much as she could afford, what didn't fit into the frig, went into the freezer. She still does this on a smaller scale.

Step, kroger also has whole chicken at .88 cents a pound.

Mattsmom277

You all get the best deals :(. I can only hope we'll get with the times around our parts soon and get good sales like that. I do catch the odd super good deal. I had 4 coupons for $3 off the laundry soap I use. They went on sale for $2.99 which is a great price around here for the brand I use. So 4 free bottles which was fantastic. I got a little taste of the good bargains you all can hunt down lol.

I also freeze milk. We only have milk in jugs at the convenience stores, and even then only at some. We get 4 liters divided into 3 separate bags that you put into a milk container. They are great for freezing since they lay flat. I often freeze chocolate milk because I only will buy it for easy child when it's a good sale, its a treat. So I stock up and freeze, and take out one of the bags at a time, about 1.33 Liters. It's amazing how much can be frozen that many people aren't aware of.

That's great about the website that basically does all the work for you! We only have a Shop-Rite here, and they don't take internet coupons, but they do the double coupon thing, and I only buy things that are on sale usually.

This week if you spend 75 $ on a selection of literally hundreds of items, you can get a $25 gas card or a $25 Shop-Rite gift card. Everything on that list is on sale, plus I have another $10 of coupons. I'll pay for the $75 order first and I'll get the rest of my stuff separately with the 25 $ gift card, my fruit, veg and meat. My family can eat well on $65 this week.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow, upallnight that is some deal!!!

It is nice to have someone who does all the work, or at least the bulk of it for me. Especially today because my memory was total toast. Was really nice when I was too busy to sit and pour over the ads myself. But you do have to tweak hers a bit as I think she's on the west coast so not all prices / sales are exactly the same. She does it for those who are learning how to coupon and so you can double check and make sure you haven't missed the deals out there.

Does anyone get the Entertainment Book? Go to that website, they are selling 2 books for $10, free shipping. Normally they're $35 each, but they're cheap now because they expire in Nov. They have them for every area of the US, all coupons for restaurants (B1,G1), movies, car washes, all on-line stores, every place you can imagine. And totally free gift certs for restaurants..we use these everywhere, and never eat out except the buy 1, get 1 free.....If you get 2 for 10 $ you'll get that back just going out to eat once. Dry cleaning, hardware stores, McD's, ...every fast food place....some nationwide, but specific to your area mostly...check it out. My 2 just arrived today and they will be well worth the $5 each. ( I already have 2, but all my good coupons are used up so now I can use my fav's again).

DammitJanet

I really have to figure out where and what I am doing wrong but I am spending more with coupons than without them.

I have a harris teeter evic card that I went 20 miles out of town to get because everyone said Harris Teeter is the place to be. So check that one off.

I have my Food Lion MVP card.

We have Piggly Wiggly so I signed up for Idigthepig.com

I have my Lowes Food card.

At Star's suggestion I made a big sheet and wrote down all my products that we actually do buy and the approximate prices. This was to keep me from grabbing coupons for things like tampons or cat food that we simply dont use. I mean trust me, Im not buying hair gel...lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I mean trust me, Im not buying hair gel...lol.

LOL Me either. I never pick up things I don't normally buy unless it works out to being free. But I stopped being brand faithful because it simply wasn't cutting it. I love my Tide but P&G are stingy with Tide coupons and if you do get them they're such a small face value that it makes little difference in the price. I don't have the same issue with other laundry soap, so my shelves are now full of other brands.

Last week I got 8 tubes of toothpaste completely free. Now I'm not going to walk away from a freebie even if I don't use it. My grandma would turn over in her grave. lol But those will be donated because I've already got a mountain of toothpaste that I got for free, I sure don't need more anytime soon. I've got toothbrushes for free too. I do at least use those, although I'd never normally pick them up so often. Today I got 4 pilot pens for free, and it spit me out a coupon, which was a nice surprise.

My rule of thumb is, if it's not something I'd normally use (same brand or not) it better be free or I try to pass on the coupon to someone else who can use it. That way I don't get caught up in the moment and pick up stuff I normally wouldn't and wind up spending money I don't have to spend. Freebies might get donated or used as xmas presents.

For the most part, I've even done this with the school supplies I bought katie's kids. The most expensive thing I picked up were book bags for 3.99, BUT I used rewards from walgreen's to pay for them, which made them free. The rest of their supplies.......well I think the highest ticket item was .50 cents. I KNOW I got just plain lucky there. Lord knows I never had luck like that when my 3 were in school. ugh

You'll see a change once your coupon stash is bigger, and with some practice. easy child and I have overspent several times and we've both been mad at ourselves for it. But it seems to be part of the territory. I know for me, it's just made me more careful. I make my list for each store. Then I find out from husband how much cash I have to work with after bills that week. Then I edit the list according to how much cash I have to work with.......like do I really need such and such, is it really a good deal?, can I wait until the next sale type thing. Then? I walk away from it, come back to it some hours later and do the same thing, do I really want / need what is on that list, is it really a good deal or should I wait, and I might cut it down more before I ever walk out the door. Then, when we get to the store.......if there for some reason I don't feel like it's worth it, I still might not pick up certain items.

When I first started I printed out every coupon I came across with great excitement at my "finds". Now I don't print much. If it's not something I know I'm going to use, or someone I know is going to use, I leave it..........UNLESS it's a freebie item that week, then I'll print it if I didn't get it in the paper or something. Ink and paper was getting costly. When we first started I probably wasn't saving very much due to the cost of the ink and paper alone. Also, I'd have husband run out and get a stack of papers on sunday morning. Now? I cut that down too because really you don't need a stack of papers. So that cut down cost. Highest amt I get now is 4.

But I can't tell you how many free things of tampons (small boxes of course), panty liners, and even nursing pads I've picked up, which get passed on to Nichole who uses them. But if it's not free, I'll just give her the coupons and she can watch for deals with them. lol

I think though, it also helps if you've got good stores to work with. Ours aren't too bad. Nichole could really clean up where she is because she has a wider selection of stores. I'd kill to have Target or Meijer close enough. ugh

Janet,Even if you never use a coupon, you could save money just by making your list directly off the sale items. A lot of times the coupons are meaningless if there is another brand on sale cheaper, I go for the cheaper. Scour that circular. Lay it all out on the floor, match the coupons to sale items, circle things, write on it, make a list, don't get things you won't use, or that will go bad, just becuse they are a great deal....then it's a waste of money, even if it only cost 1 cent.

If you don't get a circular in the mail, they should all be on line. I'm not using many coupons this week because my stores sales were so good. I have a lot of coupons, but it would cost more to use them. My friend has trouble doing couons also, but she never buys things on sale either......she never looks at the circular. So when Lean Cuisine is 1.99, I'll stock up and she thinks 3.50 is a good price, we both eat the same thing but she pays so much more.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Holy schmoly, someone pays $3.50 for a Lean Cuisine?!

I almost never have coupons for them - but I won't pay more than $2 a day for lunch. So some weeks it's Lean Cuisine, some it's Healthy Choice, some it's Banquet... Every so often I get a deal on Marie Callender's or Boston Market. I hate making my lunch, never has been something I've done, so it's worth it.

The kids pay more for school lunch than I do...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I almost never have coupons for them - but I won't pay more than $2 a day for lunch. So some weeks it's Lean Cuisine, some it's Healthy Choice, some it's Banquet... Every so often I get a deal on Marie Callender's or Boston Market. I hate making my lunch, never has been something I've done, so it's worth it.

YAY! I now know who to save those coupons for!! LOL

A week or so ago I did buy the banquet meals, which I never buy. Two reasons, 1. they came in awful handy while helping easy child as I never got home in time to cook dinner and 2. coupons made them .11 cents ea. 3. banquet meals are yummy lol

But normally I'd never use them. They wind up expiring because the girls normally don't use them either. So now I won't feel like they're being wasted anymore. :)

Also I think it was little more than a week ago I enjoyed buying hungry jack potatoes with my coupons, I was so happy it was pathetic. Yet this week I still needed them, no coupons, and was lucky enough to find a store than had the generic version on sale cheaper than I'd normally buy. (yes potatoes are a big thing in this house) My goal is the cheapest price, not brand specific, not just having a coupon. easy child is getting so focused on her coupons, she's forgetting that there are times when store generic brands are cheaper than even sale items with coupons. But I'm reigning her in. She bought the potatoes too, just had to think about it for a few minutes.