Greatest news ever!

AppleCori

My daughter is engaged!

And we will be going to a tropical island paradise next spring for the wedding, and they are paying!

Destination weddings rock!

Speaking of rock--her engagement ring is gorgeous!

This is my daughter with bi-polar. She has had a lot of challenges and overcome them all. I am so proud!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Wow. That is terrific news! Congratulations 'mother of the bride!' Enjoy every precious moment with your daughter. I'm so happy for you!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh how wonderful and exciting!! Yes, nothing like a destination wedding.
So happy for you!!

https_proxy

BusynMember

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

So exciting! So incredible!

A mood disorder is a struggle so good for her. It d oes NOT have to ruin your life so she is a gallant warrior and has made a good life for herself!!!

I am very happy and excited for all of you!

Nomad

Staff member
AppleCori...congrats!!! Great news!

Sounds like she is moving in a healthy direction.

Can you provide one or two thoughts on what your daughter did for herself to get her to a healthy place? (The main, most helpful things). And a few thoughts on what you might have done that was helpful for her?

Thank you.

AppleCori

Thanks to everyone!

Interesting question, Nomad. What did my daughter do to get herself in a much healthier place.

I have been pondering this all morning. Some thoughts:

Her siblings: She has a very close relationship with her siblings, especially her twin. They have helped her tremendously.

Friends: She was in a homeschooling group of kids (about 30) who all hung out. All the parents knew each other, knew the kids, their young siblings, in a group based on cooperation and friendliness. More like an extended (non-dysfunctional) family. No cliques, no hierarchy, no drinking, no smoking, no drugs, no sex, no disrespectful behaviors, no bullying, no singling anyone out as 'different' no real teen-age drama.

Willingness to get help: She was willing to listen to people and recognize that she had a problem and she was willing to get help. She has been with the same doctor, taken her advise, worked on her problems, taken medications/gone through many different medications to find what works.

Attitude and personality: She has always been a Type A, perfectionist, always the best, but instead of feeling sorry for herself she went to work to fix the problem. Never let anything hold her back.

I am not saying it was in any way easy for her or us, but without these things, it could have been way worse.

Along with the mental health problems, she has also dealt with some physical problems requiring three surgeries during college. Yet she went to school full time, worked full time, dealt with her mental and physical conditions, graduated 3.7, got a great job right out of college, progressed up the ladder in the company, making close to six figures at age 27, and found a really, really wonderful man to marry.

And yes, I am very proud.