Greedy little so and so VENT

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm just to a point that I get to now and then when I can't stand to be around difficult child for another second. He can't say anything right, he can't do anything right and he can't even breathe right around me. But tonight.....omg...that just took the cake. Literally.

We have to keep certain foods either hidden or literally locked up if we want them to last more than a day or even hours in some cases. He is sooooooooooooo greedy when it comes to these things and doesn't think for a second about anyone else in the house. Never has, never will. Tonight husband stopped off at the grocery store to pick up a few things on his way home from work. Some of the things he got were a pack of shortcakes, some strawberries and some of that gel stuff. (blech) I cleaned the strawberries and stuck them in the fridge.

Earlier I was sitting here at the computer when difficult child asked if he could have a shortcake. "Yeah but give me a minute". If husband or I don't fix it for him...it will be a huge waste of food. THIRTY SECONDS LATER...Mom??? in a very impatient tone. I get up, get him his "OMG I just HAVE to have it right NOW and don't forget the strawberrie gel" bowl of strawberries. A MINUTE later he's in his room.

Uh....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Bowls go in and never come out. No...you're not eating it in your room.

I check....he's not. No bowl in sight.

WTH???

Oh...well you see....turns out he didn't LIKE the gel so he scraped it ALL IN THE TRASH. But yet WE'RE the ones with the problem and the ones being completely unreasonable when we get mad about the waste and lack of respect.

O

M

G

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stang, does difficult child work?

The only solution I found that worked with Travis was forcing him to replace what he took or wasted. I was stubborn as heck about it. Still am. But I've noticed after many a lean months at college.......and lots of Ramen, Travis no longer does this. At least so far.

I don't think he realized how much he did it until he had to replace it.

Guess I won't ask if that gel stuff is good. lol I've never tried it cuz it looks weird. I do like the frozen strawberries though.....the kind with the sauce-like stuff. (I"m guessing they've added the sugar I'm too lazy to add lol)

Hugs been there done that waaaaaay too many times. It makes you want to rip your hair out.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL

I'm guessing that's a big NO.

Could you make him work off the cost around the house maybe??

This sort of thing drove me insane with Travis. I'd go to cook something.....or eat something and it would be gone. Infuriating. So nice not to be dealing with it now.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ya know what Star, that's a good idea! LOL

And one I forgot I used before Travis started working. I bought no fun/junk things to eat for a long time.

Course Travis would enjoy the broccoli. It's one of his fav foods. :rofl:

KTMom91

been there done that as well. I stopped buying the "good" stuff, and stick to things she won't touch. If it's healthy in any fashion, with the exception of wheat bread, it's safe. Drives Hubby crazy when he brings chips home, and they disappear.

I vote for making him replace it. It's been fairly effective with Miss KT.

tawnya

Our difficult child was one of the biggest food wasters on the planet. One time she topped it off, though. I had made huge meal for the whole fam damily on a Sunday evening. I had many leftovers, and thought to myself that they would last half of the next week anyway. I came home from work on Monday, and she had taken every bit of the leftovers over to her boyfriend's house.

I could have ripped her head off.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Food is always disappearing around here. He either eats it all....eats what he wants and pitches the rest or...I don't know what happens to it. It simply disappears. I've had entire jugs of juice go missing (not drank and pitched but missing) as well as an entire box of cookie dough I bought off one of the neighbor kid's fundraising things. I think he was taking stuff to friend's houses. I've also caught him smuggling dog food out too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sigh... Problem is you can only lock up SO MUCH. I mean... I buy cheese... It goes POOF. Swiss is the only thing that is safe. I bought myself some salami last week because no one else in the house will touch it. Um... I got one slice. husband didn't know we had it. Onyxx just gave me the Cheshire grin, said she didn't realize it was MINE. I told her as long as she ATE it, it was fine. Shaking my head, because when she asked for it last, I left it for her and it turned GREEN.

Onyxx eats potatoes by the truckload. I bought 2 8-lb bags a week ago. They average about 22 oz. EACH. HUGE things. Both bags are GONE. I used two the night husband and I had steak. And RICE - with the aforementioned cheese, Frank's hot sauce, jalapeno seasoning and lemon pepper (UGH).

WHEN and IF I buy soda, it goes in the bedroom. Chips too. Cookies? HAHAHA.

Apple juice? Yeah. Sure. Byebye.

FRUIT? Bananas go poof within a DAY. Apples... Well, sometimes, sometimes not. Oranges go BAD. So they are safe.

I took a bag from sauerkraut, washed well, put the bags of chocolate chips in a Kroger bag and then in the sauerkraut bag, sealed it up. No one touched it. HEE HEE HEE! (Like it isn't OBVIOUS it's something else...)

Cereal goes. I mean, I don't have room in my bedroom for a fridge, so all that stuff is easily taken.

I mean - what DO you DO?

DammitJanet

I didnt have a huge problem with this with my kids. I mean, it was a normal teen boy thing to have food scarfed down as soon as they laid eyes upon it but they were pretty good about leaving meal items alone if they knew they were meal items. I got stuff just for them to eat. Tons of oodles of noodles. By the cases. Those huge bags of cheap cereal. PB & J and giant loaves of bread. Eggs by the dozens. It was nothing for them to come home from school and eat three packs of oodles of noodles and them an hour later six egg sandwiches! And wash it all down with glasses of milk...lol. I went through probably 4 gallons of milk a week when they were teens.

The one I had a problem with was my mom when she was here. She would get up and wander in the night and plunder in the fridge, cabinets or even trashcan. She would eat anything she would find. Even banana peels. Ick! We had to put toddler locks on all the cabinets and the fridge.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I stored food in my laundry hamper and the trunk of my car.

LOTS of food in those two places.

Wee difficult child even learned to hide food from difficult child 1, and difficult child 1 left when we was 5. He kept it in his pullup/underwear drawer.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sigh. Our laundry hamper is overfilled with laundry... And mesh, to boot. Just don't have the room for anything else.

Onyxx will dig through anything and everything to find whatever she can take. I mean... husband's checkbook? She never used it, but she had it. Also a set of Jett's pajamas. Who knows why.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
husband and the kids were/are milk addicts. When everyone was at home I'd buy 6 gallons a week easy.......and sometimes that wasn't enough.

When I stopped buying junk foods/snack foods and such........I tried buying yummy things you had to actually make to eat. That worked until they learned how to cook. :tongue: Then I just gave up and bought nothing yummy unless we were eating it that day.

trinityroyal

Until difficult child moved to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC), we kept a:

1) Small fridge in our bedroom, for essentials that needed to be close at hand. Our bedroom door had a deadbolt AND a key-locked handle, and I had the keys on a lanyard around my neck.
2) Full size fridge in the garage. Padlocked with a heavy duty chain lock and a keyed padlock. The key was on my lanyard, and I carried an extra chain-and-lock in the little tote bag I used to lug everywhere (along with the TV remotes, things I needed to have out that weren't safe lying around, etc.) The garage is locked and deadbolted. Accessible by punch pad or key. Only husband and I know the code, and the key was always on my lanyard.
3) Freezer in the basement. Same drill as the full-sized fridge.
4) Mag locks on certain kitchen pantry doors (the very same ones I used for Little easy child as a baby). Mag key was in my tote bag.

The main fridge in the kitchen had only those things for which difficult child was allowed unlimited quantities.

It was a brutal way to live, but it did bring our grocery budget into line, and stopped a lot of the needless waste.