Grill?

witzend

Does anyone use a George Foreman grill? I'm thinking about one but I don't need another useless appliance taking up space on the counter. If you have it do you like it? Why or why not? Do you use it?

H

HaoZi

They're great, if you can get one with the different cooking plates you'll find it even better, like the Evolve. I would use mine more if I had the counter space and kiddo would eat more meats. Easy to clean and healthier cooking.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I gave mine away. Between drying out whatever was cooked in it, and that messy little drip pan, I only tried it a few times with chicken, pork and burgers, and got rid of the thing.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have to ditto GN. Those little grease pans were a major PITA and I was always dumping the darn things. And yeah.......have to say I wasn't thrilled with the way it made the meat taste.....too dry for me and not very tender. Actually I gave it to Nichole.....who wound up tossing it out. lol She tried it with all types of meat and gave up.

donna723

I got rid of mine too, for the same reason. That little drip pan was nasty to empty and clean. Mine was one of the first ones that came out though and they may have improved them since then.

trinityroyal

I agree with HD, GN and Donna. Mine went to the appliance graveyard after about a week of use.
husband and I have found it better to set up the BBQ on our back porch which is easily accessible from the kitchen.

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's great for hamburgers, I like the grease going into the pan instead of me.
I just dump it in an old coffee can then put it in the dishwasher. We have had yummy pork chops. We used it frequently
but I followed the recipes in terms of amount of time to cook the meats.
I admit that I think Chicken breasts are almost always dry regardless of what I cook it on.
We gave ours to difficult child since he didn't have a real grill.
difficult child has one that sits on a stand on his deck. He really likes it for hamburgers.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We have the Cuisinart Griddler, well, it's easy child's and we use it and love it! It's a pain to clean but the cooking time saved and the quality of the cooked foods is worth it.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Witz--

We had one and I have to agree....the cleanup was a PITA!!!

However, I have seen newer models at the store that come with removeable, dishwasher safe griddle surfaces. That would make a HUGE difference. I would not buy another Foreman Grill unless it was the dishwasher-safe model.

susiestar

Roll With It
I got one at a thrift store for a buck. It is great for thank you to be able to fix a burger for a snack. When he comes home from school he NEEDS a snack with a lot of protein. He also rarely eats anything after about 5:30, never really has. So we encourage him to make a dinner type snack after school. We lost the drip pan and just stand the front of it over a small baking pan. It is not a big deal.

As far as the fat going into the pan and not you, studies have shown that burgers cooked on the Foreman type grills have at most 1 gram of fat less than those cooked in a pan. I think the study said meat cooked in a pan had 4 g fat and the foreman grill had 3 g fat. That amounts to 9 calories, which for me is not a big deal. We don't use the grill if we are cooking for the family. On nights where we each fend for ourselves it can come in handy. It also gets used on nights when we KNOW that thank you will absolutely NOT be able to eat what we fix for dinner due to his food issues. Instead of pushing him, we toss a burger or chicken breast in for him, often using the grill.

Ours isn't dishwasher safe, but if it is cleaned right away with a couple of paper towels it isn't a big deal. Esp because I make thank you or Jess do it, lol.

H

HaoZi

I find it easier to clean the grill while it's still on just using a wet paper towel, it steams everything right off.

Mom2oddson

We have a small one and use it a lot for sandwiches. The kids love it because it makes cooking a burger fast and easy for them. And it's nice when it's just me and I want something grilled, but for a large group I wouldn't do it.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
We have had one for years, and it is in use a lot - mostly for Hamburgers, but also does pork chops and shrimp. Don't have a problem cleaning if its done while still hot (even with cheese that was put on the burgers or making a grilled cheese sandwich. But you have to follow the times they give you cause its easy to overcook. Any grese in the little tray gets mixed in with the dog food

Marcie

witzend

Hmmm... Well lots to think about here. We grill from about May until September, and mostly chicken. Although we do a lot of Salmon and Chipotle burgers. If it's not so good on chicken then I'm not sure that it's for us.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My $0.02 - bought one while I was single and I think I used it about 3 times in 2 years. The drip pan was a PITA, but really, it was not worse than a full-size baking pan. I just could not see making ONE burger or chicken breast - if I made a batch of them, I could freeze and microwave later. After husband and I got together, it got stuffed in a closet and then I gave it away right after we got married.

My parents (and now husband and I) will grill out back all year long. The neighbors look at us oddly when it's 10 degrees, 14 inches of snow and we're grilling...

lmf64

I use mine all the time, but then again it's only difficult child and I. I like it for burgers and chicken.
difficult child uses it to make sandwiches. I don't like him to use the stove a lot, but the grill toasts both sides at once and he hasn't ever forgotten to unplug (cross your fingers) it yet.

DammitJanet

I didnt have the actual Foreman but I had a lookalike. Mine had the parts that came out to wash easily. Thats why I got that one. We used it for years. Tony always took it with him when he went out of town so he could cook. Eventually the non-stick wore off and we tossed it. I have noticed they have come out with a bunch of new items and have thought of looking at them to see what they are but have never gotten around to it. I do such a small amount of cooking that maybe I should...lol. Anything to make life easier.