grocery items I can no longer find

Sara PA

Tuffys. I can't find them anywhere in my county here in PA but I did find them in a Rite-Aid in Santa Monica, CA, and bought all they had on the shelf. I guess it'd be cheaper to order a case on-line than run to California every time I needed one.

KTMom91

I've seen Screaming Yellow Zonkers and some of the candies at Dollar Tree. I'd love to find Kaboom cereal. The last time I saw some was when I was visiting a friend in Tulsa in 1984. I'd also like Chef-Boy-ar-dee Pizza Mix. It had the crust mix and the sauce and some Parmesan in the box, and you added whatever else on the top. Much better than Boboli crusts! And Dreyer's Green Tea ice cream...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Walmart here sells Chef-Boy-ar-dee Pizza Mix, actually so does Krogers. Not at all hard to find. easy child uses it alot.

Sara, I just gotta ask.....What on earth is a Tuffy?

witzend

I find that if I go to the manufacturer's web sites, I can search the particular product, then often they will have a "where to buy" button. This will show who has been ordering it in your area. Then, make a phone call to that establishment just to be sure.

dreamer

Yeah we can get Chef boy r dee pizza mix, here, too, I just bought one 2 weeks ago, LOL.
Where sara posted about tuffys? you can click on the word Tuffy and it shows you what they are. LOL- they are a nylon dish scrubby made by SOS. LOL.

Well, I know for sure campbells DID discontinue the 2 soups, and Oscar Meyer did discontinue the sweet morsels, and kraft did discontinue creamy garlic salad dressing.....and I am pretty sure hamburrger helper d'c'ed the meatloaf mix.they did replace it with one a little different, but then d/c'ed that one, too. I am finding, tho, that most companies d/c'ed creamy garlic salad dressing. that was mostly what actualy began me on this quest, LOL.

I found Kaboom cereal last a couple years ago. It was after 2000 becuz my son had WIC until 2000 and Kaboom was one of the WIC approved cereals. LOL. But I only saw it one time and it was in some obscure small grocery somewhere.

I thought I was the only one who missed the creamy garlic salad dressing! That stuff was the best. Occasionally I can find some in the refrigerated section, but it is very expensive.

Another Campbells soup that I can't find anywhere is Chicken Dijon. It was condensed, and would probably have tasted nasty as a soup, but was delicious on chicken.

One candy I have searched for (for years) is Choco-Lite. Anyone remember that?

ok, there were 2 different chocolates.

One was "lite". It was actually dark chocolate, if I remember, and it was whipped, so it had these bubbles in it. When you bit into it, it was almost like biting into a nestle crunch, in that it was a little crispy, but there was nothing crunchy in there, you were feeling the bubbles "pop". That's what made it "lite".

This was covered with smooth milk chocolate. Now, I don't remember getting these as a full size candy bar, although they might have been, but I distinctly remember getting them in "fun size" at halloween.

The wrapper was the color of chocolate milk, and the writing was yellow. You unwrapped it, and it was about an inch long, and flat, like a hershey's mini (unlike a snickers). And I swear it had 2 etchings on it that looked like orange or lemon slices, facing eachother.

This memory is vivid. I've searched all kinds of nostalgia candy places and have never found it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Search on the internet under "Aero Bars" this will provide you with a list of companies that sell via mail order the Canadian version of Chocolite Bars.

They are actually better, in my humble opinion

I have tried the Aero bars. I don't care for them as much.

I did just do a search and signed a petition to bring back the Choco-Lite!

Yippee! I'm not crazy!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Nabisco used to make these amazingly delicious cookies when I was a kid and my mom would buy me a box - just for me!

They were kind of like a soft Nilla Wafer sandwich with marshmallow between them - and there was this sticky stuff, almost like honey in there on the inside of the cookies.

They were packaged in two long boxes about 6" long X 2" SQ. Inside they were wrapped in waxed paper. The boxes were packed together and sold as one package (but with the two long boxes in there).

I miss those.

ps: These are not Mallomars and didn't have any chocolate whatsoever.

susiestar

Roll With It
I used to love the Oetker WhipIt, but I could only find it at one of the stalls at Finley market in downtown Cinci.

I later found I could get the same result by adding 1 tsp of cornstarch to every 2 cups of whipping cream. It stabilizes it and it will keep much longer as a cake topping or in any dessert.

Susie

SRL

Another one who couldn't find the chocolate orange balls at Christmas and those were a tradition for the stocking.

The one thing I really miss are kartoffeln (potato) balls. Used to be in the foreign food aisles. They were shredded, dried potatoes in small, net bags that turned into wonderful potato balls. I've tried making them but they've never turned out quite right. I NEED my kartoffeln balls!

Hmm, maybe we should start a shopping exchange? What your store has that mine doesn't, pick it up and send it along. lol

amazon has a lot of hard to find and foreign brands. Don't know if these are what you're looking for but they sound like what we called potato dumplings growing up:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...arch-alias=aps&field-keywords=potato+dumpling

muttmeister

I used to love Post oat flakes cereal. I even had a cookie recipe that called for it. I can't find it at all any more. I did buy some Nabisco bran oat flakes but they don't taste at all like the old ones did; they're like eating flaked cardboard.

Sara PA

Jell-O brand chocolate tapioca pudding. It could quite possibly have been my favorite food in the whole wide world....right up until they discontinued it.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hmmmmm we never had chocolate tapioca. And I learned to make tapioca from scratch in the microwave and didn't buy a mix again. Maybe I will have to find a recipe for chocolate tapioca.

Susie

Sara PA

Now that we've talked about it, maybe I'll give the homemade kind a try again. I never found a recipe that matched the Jell-O stuff, but I do have a type of chocolate now that I haven't tried. Got the chocolate, I already have the tapioca soaking to make tomorrow morning....Hmmm....I'm glad we had this little talk..

DammitJanet

It never fails if I really like something then they discontinue it!

I fell in love with two ice creams. One from Pet that was a strawberry marble with little chocolate cups in them that were filled with strawberry sauce. The other was Banana Bonanza from Bryers. I really loved that stuff. It is a banana ice cream with chocolate marble and chocolate pieces in it.

I have fallen in love with a certain candy now so I expect it will go soon too...lol. They are chocolate covered raspberry sticks. Yummy!

Do you all remember those candy fruit slices? They looked just like a slice of fruit in orange, lemon and a few other flavors...I loved them at one time...lol.

I did find those alphabet pasta shapes this past week at our food lion and at walmart. They are in the ethnic food section packaged under the Goya label.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I feel so much better knowing I am not the only one that has food disappear.

I love orange crush. It is the only orange soda I like. Our Fairway used to carry it but stopped. It was the only store that did on a full time basis. Walmart sometimes gets the little bottles but for some reason those alway seem to taste flat.

I also like cream of rice hot cereal and our stores have stopped carrying that too. And my tuna melt tuna helper. I dont' know why but that is the one I like.

The thing I remember from childhood is planters used to make cheese curls, cheese balls, potato sticks (these were the size of cheese curls not the skinny ones). Haven't seen them in years. I liked the brand. They were more expensive but oh did they taste good when mom got them.

Beth

Sara PA

I just saw those fruit slices at the grocery last night. They were in a tray --like a meat tray -- and covered with plastic wrap. I bought the item in front of them but I don't remember what it was... Oh! I bought Manischewitz macaroons. They were in the Passover section.

Planter's discontinued the cheese balls. A quick look on their web site suggests they're only doing nuts these days. There is one of those online petitions to bring them back but there's no date on it and, of course, those petitions don't accomplish anything.

Ronzoni makes alphabets. I think the ones I have are store brand but I bought them years ago. Alphabets cooked in Campbell's chicken broth was my son's stand-by meal when he was sick little boy.