Guardianship .....

susiestar

Roll With It
dreamer you are not alone. When I gave birth to thank you a friend was supposed to watch my kids. Her kids had strep throat and it was advised we NOT take the kids there with a new baby coming home.

I had copious amounts of relatives in the area (within 2 miles). My dad's sis finally agreed to babysit, but her husband told my mom that the kids had to be gone by 6 am no matter what! My mom left the hospital at 5 am, with me still in labor, to go take the kids to my dad's brother's house (he wasn't home the night before when we called about the kids). Mom got back JUST as I was being told to push. I was saying "NO. Not doing it. Not until my mom is here." (doctor was amazed because I put off pushing while vigorously arguing with them for several minutes - usually the body just takes over!) Luckily my mom walked in then, and thank you was born.

My entire extended family was HORRIFIED by what my aunt's husband said. I was not even surprised - it is just 1 in a long line of nasty things he has said to me.

When I had my tubes tied 6 weeks later my friends were out of town and my gfgbro was supposed to be in town. He had gone to my great aunt's a few hours away 3 days before with the PROMISE he would be back. At that point NO ONE would babysit, so husband dropped me off at the hospital and then they called him to come pick me up a few hours later. The nice nurses even put off calling him by about 4 hours so I could take a nap. thank you was nursing several times a night and I was EXHAUSTED, so I sent them brownies the next week.

There have been MANY times I had no one to babysit for my kids. I just feel lucky that Jess can babysit Tyler right now. And she does - but we try to keep it infrequent.

As for those school forms, for many years I left them blank. We had one school that pushed it, so I listed my dead grandmother and my phone. they were not amused. But I was!

rejectedmom

My family is HUGE yet I only had one sister that was willing to be a guardian for both my birth and my adopted children. She was not the best choice but she was my only choice. Fortunately My kids are now grown and we are still with the living.
Sometimes the best choice is not ideal but still better than having the state take over. -RM

W

Wonderful Family

We faced this too; ultimately we only had one option which is my Sis and her husband. There were some individuals that could take one or could personally handle difficult child; but the spouse could not.

Looking outside the family is an excellent idea.