Guardianship

L

Liahona

Not sure what you mean. That is normally for kids who are being taken care of by someone other than a parent. Or it could be for an adult that can't take care of themselves.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I have legal permanent guardianship over my granddaughter. I went to court for it, it is a legal process which here in CA. although quite a formidable process, there are gov. websites which contain all the paperwork and agencies which help with the legal paperwork. The guardianship allows me to make parental decisions, medical, education, etc. My daughter was incapable of making healthy choices for her daughter.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Or do you mean:
Conservatorships are generally put in place for severely mentally ill individuals who are gravely disabled, elderly individuals with Dementia or Alzheimer's Disease who lack mental capacity, or individuals with developmental disabilities who may or may not lack mental capacity. Mental capacity has to be determined by a medical physician or a psychiatrist experienced in the field and is documented and provided to the court as evidence.

BusynMember

You mean over an adult child with a disability? I do. He is not that severe at all but lacks the ability to handle his money well so I do it. I also have other guardianship over him, but don't use it.