Guess WHO stopped by just now??? (general update)

buddy

My sister just stopped by and dropped off Q's scooter. She works nearby and called so I had Q go out and meet her car. I saw her hug him and hand him the box and heard him say his usual low tone "thanks"... came into the house and is sitting on the couch... HEY MOM it is the same name as the rip stick grandma and grandpa gave me!

I thanked her and she blew kisses and went home.

I took Q to the park to try his rip stick. He tried twice then said he was cold, "but you aren't mad mom, right... I know we just got here..." I said no, he asked nicely and I was cold anyway so no problem!

It was fun to just go with him though. Poor kid... when the pt called to ask about goals I told her it may not sound like a traditional goal but he really wants to ride a skate board like the other kids. He does well on a bike and anything now where two feet are on the ground. But when one foot is needed to balance he doesn't do quite as well. He can jump rope for a few times now... and we finally got jumping jacks down... but we will see... they are going to work to develop more equal strength and coordination on both sides.

klmno

Sounds liike fun!

And you go tell him not to worry- he has a board auntie who does well to balance on two feet and still would get a concussion if I tried a skateboard. LOL!

DammitJanet

I remember learning to balance again. Oh yeah...that brings back memories. I still dont have good balance and if they stopped my car to do the driving under the influence test I would never pass it. Jamie has tested me and I fail the test walking and turning and balancing on one foot. My eyes dont wobble though so that should tell them I am not drunk. I have often worried though. I really think people with neuro conditions should get something to keep in the car so cops can believe us when we tell them that we cant balance...lol. All the drunks say that.

buddy

yah, I bet he has heard them all.... I didn't think of that, so... I just had a brain injury is not a good way out of a ticket??? LOL

buddy

NO SNOW! Really very very strange. There are some white little tiny patches from the one time we got a little so it was shoveled into a pile...but like at christmas time, it was not only a no snow christmas, it was a green Christmas... I mean the grass was not even brown! Now it looks a little more brownish, but still, this is very odd as so many of us have said.

SO, all the sidewalks are bare and we can ride bikes and go on skateboards etc. I am going to put the scooter together tonight. He came home surly but has had a great night.

rejectedmom

:jumphappy::jumphappy: Yeah Q! He did good. He said thank you, and asked you to take him to the park! I am so glad your sister brought him his present. I wonder if the rest of the family got on her for the birthday punishment she melded out without consulting you.

lovelyboy

Buddy.....my sons special interest....ok one of them is skate boarding!
We spent hours at the park....its very interesting to watch the cool skaters "profiles"!
Some you can see from a distance is on the spectrum! The others is often the types that you can see will have trouble fitting in in other crowds like teamsport exct! They are just "different" in their own category!!!! My son feel like this is where he belongs!!!!! He feel safe their and has something in commen to talk and share!!!! Its really great for their self esteem!!!! And I think its cool!!!!He has a scooter and got the BMX bike for Christmass!!!! he spends hours practicing.....shame it will take him six months to get the "ollie" right....then he shows the trick to one of his NT friends, who got it right in a few days!!!! I just told him its because he can teach them so well!!!!! My son really has poor vestibular sensitivitiy.....his balance is ok...but not really that good......his planning is a bit messed up! BUT for some reason he gets the skate boarding right.....he struggles with the tricks, because its a sequense of movements that needs to be put together.....but he has perseverence......one of his stimmings is finger skateboarding.....Q can have a look on you-tube.....they have great videos to show aal the things....remember the skate board also have a front and back....we never new this! Its expensive but try and see if you can get him the Shaun White skate boarding psp game.....my son LOVES it and it teaches them all the names and tricks! My son wil, come home from skate park and tell me mommy I did a grind....a 360....exct.....Then later my husband will tell me he had a great time chatting to the other kids....did some skating...fell a bit....But what the heck....in my sons mind he can do all of it!!!!! ENJOY!!!!

T

TeDo

Good for him!! I was wondering the same thing as rejectedmom. OR is she the type that does this on a regular basis....cruel punishment followed by some sort of guilt, remorse, whatever???? Just hoping I guess but had to ask.

buddy

No, I think she just thought at that time that he needed to know what he did was wrong (in her mind that would work because after all she does not live with this.. and as I said I was not there and even I have been desperate to stop him if he is pushing or hurting someone, especially my mom or aunts who are older).... I think that she just wanted him to think about it and so brought it today instead. Like I said, and I am not being defensive or anything, she is not consistently that way... just has these moments when her patience is low. YOu may remember, she is the one who spent long amounts of time with him at thanksgiving when he was still fresh out of the hospital so was rushing up to me and kicking and hitting still.... she sat and went thru all the ads etc. It is what turned everything around for him that day. . This toy was one thing he actually picked out at that time, she was so excited to give it to him and she remembered and got the last one even before Xmas shopping was done. I think she does a good job of beating her own self up. My sister N may have told her though that I didn't say anything... I was just so shocked I didn't know what to say...so she may have felt badly. I dont think she would ever have not given it to him though...just wasn't sure if it was going to be for his birthday.

B

Bunny

I'm so glad that your sister gave Q is gift, and that eveh though he was excited, he was able to ask nicely to be taken to the park and asked nicely when he was cold and wanted to go home. Good for Q!!

StressedM0mma

I am so glad that Q got his scooter, and that he go to go out and use it. Hopefully PT will be able to help him with the coordination problem, and he will be able to enjoy it even more.

susiestar

Roll With It
WOnderful that she was able to give it to him. We ALL have learning left to do and have times we don't handle things so well.

Sounds like he had a great time. So cute that he was worried you would be upset he wanted to leave so soon because he was cold. Shows he really does have the ability to put himself in other's shoes - in my opinion that is HUGE because some of our kids are never able to do that.

As for coordination, he will get it in time. I used to sit on my skateboard to go down hills as a kid. I just was so clumsy. Glad the PT can work with him.

Janet, why not ask your neuro to sign a statement to keep with your license? in my opinion that would be incredibly logical. Might not get you out of a ticket for speeding, but would keep them from locking you up for being drunk/stoned when you are not. Having the disabled sticker will also help you - lots of disabled people have balance issues.