Hachi a Dog's Tale

Jody

Okay I watched this last weekend with my twelve year old. It's is a true story with Richard Gere and his dog as the main characters. If you watched Marley and Me and cried you will outright sob while watching this movie, if you don't watch this and cry, there might be something wrong with you. It is a heartwarming and great movie to watch, the fact that it really is a true story is an added bonus. Gotta watch it. It has gotten great reviews. We rented it at our local video store.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Jody, I can't believe "my future husband" didn't tell me he made this movie! According to Wikipedia it was never released in the US. I read about Hachi years ago and bawled my eyes out. I would need a truckload of tissues to watch a movie about them.

Suz

T

TeDo

I would say Wikipedia is VERY wrong this time. We watched Hachi this last fall. I cried like a baby. One of my boys was concerned and wanted to make me feel better. The other one laughed his fool head off and asked why I was crying. Can you guess which one is the Aspie??

witzend

I think Suz means that there was no theatrical release in the US. It was in theaters in Japan but was straight to DVD in the US.

TerryJ2

I saw it several months ago. It was okay. I'm the odd one out here.

I thought it was weird because instead of feeling proud for the dog, I felt awful. So sad. Why would you put up a statue of a dog that just followed around its owner?

And then I thought, if this were filmed with-Japanese characters and setting, I would have liked it better. In their society, loyalty is the highest value. In America, it is individualism. That's why it didn't resonate with me.

But I *do* like Richard Gere ... ;)

Jena

i saw it, it was a great movie. when i wanna chuck my crazy dog i think of that movie :)

really sweet though. that monument actually exists so wild to me what that dog did