Halloween Costumes

susiestar

Roll With It
OK ladies, what costumes are your kids wearing this year?

Jess wants to be a gypsy. We will be going to Tulsa to shop thrift stores this week.

thank you wants to be a domino. He can't decide if he wants to be a double 9 or a different domino! Cracks me up. I am going to get some stiffened interfacing fleece stuff and sew a very simple rectangle, then I will make pockets along the long ends to slide something down to stiffen them. Probably will use those plastic thingys you put over the shower curtain rod so the curtain slides smoothly. I got about 8 of them for $1 when we moved in a few years ago. I think if I cut them in half they will be the right length.

What are you planning??

Any good craft or decoration ideas??

Susie

mstang67chic

Going Green
I saw a segment on Today this morning about just this subject. The cutest one I saw was a toddler dressed as cotton candy. They just had him in a sweat suit and then glued quilt batting to the clothes after they had spray painted it to match the sweats. Adorable!

Another little boy was dressed as a train conductor. He just had on a suit (shirt, tie, vest and jacket) with a pocket watch, whistle and a hat with a gold braid attached.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
K wants to be a Pirate... we are using a bunch of pirate stuff mother in law sent from some party she had!!! K is easy...

Then we have N... :faint: I want to be a Kitty, no a princess, No a princess kitty, no a kitty.... OK she is going to be a (GAG) Princess... I am a tomboy... she went through one of those costume catalogues... I want this and this and this... she has a list of about 6 things a princess has to have... I said how are you going to carry a wand, mirror and a treat bag??? "Uh Mommy you can carry the bag"

Everyday she asks me were the princess shoes (that I did not order) are??? This is the same child that had to cut out hew pumpkin on Friday with the "Mudflap lady/witch design" You know the hooker looking woman on the back of trucks mudflaps!!! She begged and pleaded, that was the design she wanted!!! SO I spent 2+ hours etching and carving out the mudflap hooker witch... It looks really good by the way!!! When I was done... she cried. I wanted one like K's!!! :hammer: A simple Jack-o-lantern... I asked her a million times if we could do that one!!! It was really all husband fault, he initially gave in!!!

Oh the fun!!! :vampire:

easy child 1 is "Hannah Montana". Main costume item is a blonde wig. Her friend is going to be "Gabriella".

Has anyone noticed that Halloween costumes are becoming much bigger business these days?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: totoro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent 2+ hours etching and carving out the mudflap hooker witch... It looks really good by the way!!!</div></div>

:rofl: at "mudflap hooker witch"

meowbunny

I want a mudflap hooker witch!

Wished I had the talent to do that one.

No costumes here this year (thank goodness). My then 19YO went as a spider queen last year and actually went trick or treating with the neighborhood kids. To say I was embarassed was putting it mildly! She saw nothing wrong with it.

SRL

This is the first year I'm not sewing a major Halloween costume since I can remember as both of mine are using recycled costumes. easy child daughter is going as an astronaut--we have a really cool costume my mom made when my oldest was in preschool. difficult child is going as Frodo Baggins--I think I'm done on that one except the hobbit feet.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Every year since I was 10 I've done some type of haunted house/or graveyard (sans the years I was married)

Now with life on the ranch I am back to doing the graveyard. This year we may not get to it because of the remodeling, however I've met others that do haunted yards and I love it. I have more halloween decorations than I do Christmas, and I get out the original witch hat every year.

(insert kackle)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
As we pulled up to the house N wanted to know once again where her "princess shoes are" and to let me know that she doesn't like the mudflap witch... SO there MOM!!!

donna723

One of the cutest costumes I've seen in years is actually one that a lady made for her DOG, but it could very easily be adapted for a child. Super cheap too! For the dog, she took a pair of baby "onesies" big enough to fit on the dog and attached enough blown up purple balloons to cover it, then she attached two big green leaves made of cloth at the neckline - and he was a bunch of grapes! He WON the costume contest that year too!

:rofl:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie your domino costume is really creative. Snap a picture later, I'd love to see it when you're done.

That cotton candy one sounds adorable too. We had twins in the neighborhood go as a washer/dryer set one year. lmao Turned out to be awesome. Mom had even glued an empty Tide bottle to the top of the washer.

Darrin has decided to be Woody from Toy Story, depsite all of easy child's efforts for him to be Buzz Lightyear. lol She's still waiting for his costume to show up in the mail.

Aubrey is being a princess. I grabbed the costume on clearance last thanksgiving at children's place for 3 bucks. B/f was too cheap to buy her the Disney Princess candy holder (can't really call it a pumpkin) at wallie world for 2 bucks so Nana did. And easy child picked her up a cute butterfly septor at Hobby Lobby while we were there.

Can't wait to decorate the house this week. Halloween decor scares the baby, so we've been introducing it to her slowly over time.

saving grace

Babygirl is going to be a witch this year, I sort of persuaded her heehehe.
Last year my husband went to a party as a "one night stand" We got a box cut holes in the side for his arms and a hole in the bottom for his head, we left the top open just cut off the flaps, then we spray painted it brown. We stuck things on the top like an ashtray some loose change and a condom and he wore a lamp shade on his head. It was super cute.

Grace

G

guest3

My difficult child II is going Occupational Therapist (OT) be a silly chef again (he loves the costume from last year just that much)

But I was looking at Lillian Vernon's infant costumes with my co-worker and I died when I saw the everglad airfreshner costume for a baby, how adorable a little green pine tree with logo and a hole for baby's face :O) too cute

Debdeb1031

&lt;sigh&gt; i remember the days when you wouldn't dare ask for mom or dad to BUY a costume...you made up something yourself....anyways...my darling daughter is going as a high school musical cheerleader...my chris is going as a biker (we have bob's harley vest and belt buckle to wear as well as a skull harley shirt and jeans..he has a skull and bones skull cap a skull ring and studded cut off gloves) and anthony is going as a werewolf (mask and fake claws..we will tear up an old battered shirt throw some fake blood on it and rip up and old pair of jeans)...my friends throw an adult only halloween party every year...you bring a edible but disgusting dish...the highlight of the food table is a baby potty filled with yellow jello and baby ruth bars (EWWWW!!!...get the picture??...lol)

SRL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HereWeGoAgain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">easy child 1 is "Hannah Montana". Main costume item is a blonde wig. Her friend is going to be "Gabriella".

Has anyone noticed that Halloween costumes are becoming much bigger business these days? </div></div>

I've noticed that for every holiday in recent years. It used to just be Christmas but anymore it seems like they're all becoming major merchandise events.

I was wondering whether recent media events surrounding Vanessa Ann Hudgens were impacting sales of Gabriella merchandise. My daughter said all the kids were talking about it about it at school and she parked her Troy and Gabriella shirt because it made her uncomfortable.

tiredmommy

Duckie will be a witch this year. I think this is the year I should learn to sew, I was pretty disturbed by the nature of most Halloween costumes for young girls. Why must a 6 year old look sexy? It's completely inappropriate and says a lot about our society that easily half the costumes I saw wouldn't have made it into production when I was a kid. Yuck!

ck1

My two little ones are dressing up as cowboys and indians. My daughter will be the indian girl and my three year old son is the cowboy. My son likes his costume so much he asks to put it on every day!

I think we're going to dress them up in their costumes this weekend and take them to Picture People to get their picture taken. difficult child really misses them and wants to see them in their costumes and husband will be out of town so he won't see them on Halloween either.

susiestar

Roll With It
thank you is waffling on his costume. He really wants the domino, I think, but doesn't wnat me to overdo it. I iwll do it and surprise him.

He was also thinking about Harry Potter. We have a real HP cape from the Warner Bro Store. It was difficult child's the year the 1st HP came out. My mom paid $30 for it (just a cape!!) but it has had HARD wear over the years and is worth it.

His other thought was to wear his Snickers bar costume from last year. I had to ebay a pattern for it, iron on the logo and paint it, and sew it. It was a lot of work, but fun.

Susie

saving grace

Tiredmommy, I too feel the same way about the kids costumes, I searched and searched for a simple witch costume for babygirl and I couldnt find one that didnt look like it belonged a streetwalker. I found a real cute one online very age appropriate, its called the Wiley Witch its super cute

Grace