Halloween Pirate Coins Recalled - Melamine!

susiestar

Roll With It
CANADIAN HALLOWEEN CANDY RECALLED

(you can verify this on snopes: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/coins.asp

There is a new warning put out by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency....
Sherwood brand Pirate's Gold Milk Chocolate coins are being recalled due to the fact that they contain Melamine, the ingredient in milk product that has caused many infant (and dog) deaths in china. These candies are sold at Costco, as well as many bulk and dollar stores. please make sure to check your children’s Halloween candy and DO NOT LET THEM EAT THE PIRATE COINS (you know the ones wrapped in the shiny gold foil) and please let other parents know about this!

Sherwood Brands says those of its chocolate coins that contain melamine were vended only in Canada, that none of those confections reached the U.S.

I found this on another board and wanted to make sure everyone here heard about it.

Susie

Marguerite

As far as I know we're still OK in Australia. Maybe because our dairy industry is so strong, most of the milk products we have come from Australia, only pre-manufactured goods come in here, rather than the dried milk itself. Most of our milk-based confectionery is manufactured here from local ingredients. So far the only products we've had warnings about were fairly recognisably of Asian origin.

However, it's good to pass on this warning, especially after you independently checked it out. I wish more people would check their warnings before sharing them.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
I try hard to check things out, thanks Marg. It can be hard to verify things, but on this board warnings are usually posted in good faith.

Marguerite

Most warnings are posted in good faith, Susie. It doesn't stop them being a big problem if they're not genuine. It does take a little time to check and I'm really grateful that you did and that you posted the Snopes link. It also helps people really take this warning on board to keep themselves and their families safe this Halloween.

Maybe some lateral thinking is in order - can you think of any products you use which use processed powdered milk in their ingredients, which could incorporate powdered milk from China. It pays to be prepared... and to read the fine print!

Marg

Stella Johnson

When are the governments going to start going after the manufacturers of this **** criminally?
Makes me sick.
Even if the products say "made in the usa" that doesn't mean the ingredients didn't come from China.:mad:

Steph

Marguerite

I think the culprits are either long gone or too difficult to reach. I believe China is going after its own with a vengeance. When your only allow your people to have one child per family, and so many of those single children are sick from this, there are a lot of VERY angry Chinese citizens out for blood.

At some stage some bright spark thought he could water down the milk he had so he could get more money for a greater number of litres, but added the melamine so it didn't LOOK watered down... similar to the idiot at the factory that was making the Bindeez beads who changed the formulation because hey, here's another product tat is one tenth the price, we can put this one in instead, it's almost the same only it's a lot cheaper, we can pocket the extra money this saves us, nobody will know... until babies swallowed the beads which then turned into GHB in their stomachs. The Aussie company paid the price even though it wasn't their fault. The person who made the substitution, nobody can track. And believe me, a lot of people want to. The beads are back on the market as Beanos but I'm not sure if it's the same company of it they sold the idea. The manufacture is, I think, wholly in Australia plus they're packaged to greatly reduce the risk of kids putting them in their mouths. Belts and braces.

While ever there is money to be made by being dishonest and taking risks, things like this will happen. We're becoming increasingly global but the price we pay is reduced vigilance and cost-cutting by people/countries/groups who get the contracts by undercutting all the competition and have to cheat to come in on budget. No one nation has the monopoly on dishonesty.

Here's hoping the problem gets sorted soon.

Marg