Handicap niece & her IEP

SnowAngel

My 9yr old niece is mildly MR. She requires speech. She is on disability. She just started reading at 1st grade level. The school put her in a regular 3rd grade class, but takes her out several times a day for her Special Education class. Her regular teacher said she is lost in her class and is way below 3rd grade level. She also stated socially she is behind.

My niece has an IEP. I believe she has Occupational Therapist (OT) & speech, however she hasn't had them in place this year. She also qualifies for a one on one aide, but doesn't have one either.

My mother (her legal gaurdian) spoke with the Special Education director and talked about her concerns. He said she should get another psychiatric evaluation since her last one was done in K and she now is in 3rd. She was held back a year too. He said he would check into a re-evaluation of the IEP.

He called my mom back the next day and said they can't re-evaluate or do a new psychiatric evaluation until May. Is this right? Can we ask for a meeting? We are being told so many things and my niece is falling way behind.

My niece also was sexually assaulted on the school bus and has not been back to school in two weeks over that incident. The school district said they would get her alternate transportation, however it hasn't been done yet. Wednesday will be three weeks since she has been to school.

What do we do?

Sheila

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He called my mom back the next day and said they can't re-evaluate or do a new psychiatric evaluation until May. Is this right? </div></div>

No. She needs to put the re-evaluation request in writing and send it to the District Special Education Director via certified mail or they will continue to stall. There are sample letters in the archives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My niece also was sexually assaulted on the school bus and has not been back to school in two weeks over that incident. The school district said they would get her alternate transportation, however it hasn't been done yet. Wednesday will be three weeks since she has been to school.

What do we do? </div></div>

Again, send a letter via certified mail stating that "X" said your niece would be provided alternate transportation due to this incident, when will it be arranged?

I always include the Certified Mail No. in the letter above the date. Depending on how quickly I need action, I also fax in hopes of speeding things up. But the CM is "proof" of the letter being mailed and received.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe she has Occupational Therapist (OT) & speech, however she hasn't had them in place this year. She also qualifies for a one on one aide, but doesn't have one either. </div></div>

If these items are in her IEP, they should be provided. Not doing so subject's the sd to compensatory education.

Sounds like this is one of the school districts where the parent will have to do lots of monitoring and documenting.