Hannah Anderson kidnap case?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
This morning it was revealed that there were multiple letters from Hannah to DiMaggio found at the crime scene, ie., his home. The content was not shared, but that also adds a little mystery, doesn't it? I almost choked when I read that she had gone on trips with him to Malibu and Hollywood...wth kind of parent allows their 16 year old daughter to go away to places like that with a man old enough to be her father?? or anyone for that matter??

BusynMember

My own inner difficult child tells me that maybe she was in love with him and that he initiated it or egged her on. Allowing the kid to go on day trips with this man is just plain weird, but many parents these days don't keep such a good eye on their kids. I don't know if the kid was involved or not, but she wasn't the one with the idea.

What puzzles me is why the father was spared.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
I just read about the letters and thought oh this us getting strange. Also the news said something about a DNA swab kit found as well. No idea why you would have they, but another strange thing to me.

DammitJanet

Now I dont find it all that odd that a parent would let their child go with the father's best friend to nice places. The family had known this man for years and he was practically part of the family.

From what I understand of the phone calls, they were setting up the trip to his cabin which he was about to lose to foreclosure. The family wanted to console him and the kids were going to go ride 4 wheelers for the last time. I tend to get that too. As far as the father, he was all the way across the country working. He felt comfortable leaving his friend as the go to guy while he was gone. From what I understand the mother worked long hours and they were relieved that this guy could pick up Hannah from her after school activities.

*I havent heard about the letters so I have no idea about them.

witzend

The more I read about this, the more it reminds me of Charlie Starkweather and Caril Ann Fugate. I know that girls are more tough now than they used to be, but I thought that Fugate would NEVER have killed all of those people after he killed her family. She was a definite difficult child, and was easily led to that. Whatever she had done with her life, she would have been subservient to any man she was with. Some girls just want to be "bad", and some guys pick up on that. Don't get me wrong, I think that when girls get together they can do these things in a heartbeat together. But as a general when it's a young girl with an older man, it's the man who sets the agenda.

Nancy

Janet you are far more tollerant and accepting than I am. The whole thing sounds strange to me. I would never let my girls go anywhere overnight with "uncle" whomever.

The reason the father was spared is because they did not live together. He lives in Tennessee and she lived in Calif with her mother and brother.

InsaneCdn

Now I dont find it all that odd that a parent would let their child go with the father's best friend to nice places.
Sorry. I wouldn't find it odd that a parent would let a son go with the father's best friend... esp. if the friend is local and the dad is elsewhere. But... daughter? Maybe if the father's best friend is happily married and the couple takes the daughter places. Maybe... and for me that's even stretching it.

Kathy813

Staff member
If "Uncle Jim" had taken both of the children to visit family and/or friends out of town then I might not find it so odd. But only the pretty teenage daughter?

~Kathy

BusynMember

Janet you are far more tollerant and accepting than I am. The whole thing sounds strange to me. I would never let my girls go anywhere overnight with "uncle" whomever.

The reason the father was spared is because they did not live together. He lives in Tennessee and she lived in Calif with her mother and brother.

Thanks, Nancy. I haven't kept up on the story. And there is no way on earth I'd let a female child go alone even with a male relative s he knew well, let alone with a fake uncle who isn't related to her, but is a "close friend." I'm just not trusting enough. I'd be suspicious of any male who specifically asked to take a "day trip" with my teenage daughter only and it would never happen. This is really a strange case and an odd family in my opinion.

Insane, maybe I'd let a son go, but never a daughter. Males get molested by older men too. The key would be if this man only wanted ONE of the children ALL of the time.

DammitJanet

If I am remembering the trips right, she wanted to go on them. I think one was to Hollywood. They stayed at one of her relatives homes.

We have taken several of the boys friends with us places. We also recently picked up my daughter in law's niece at a store on the side of the interstate when we were going to her house. She was staying in a coastal town in NC and her father took her out to where we would pass by and we just put her in the car and took her on up so she could spend a couple of weeks with daughter in law. We barely knew her and definitely didnt know her father. Maybe everyone felt it was okay because we had the monkey with us and we were in laws. Dont know.

Also maybe Im just remembering life when I was a teen. I went lots of places with people I probably shouldnt have. Im still in shock that my parents allowed me to go flying in a plane that was flown by my boyfriend. Also once I had my license I drove all over the east coast by myself. At 16 I drove to Cape Cod with just my boyfriend and we stayed at his father's beach house by ourselves.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Stranger news reported that the kidnapper left an insurance policy with the beneficiary being Hannah's grandmother. This whole story is just weird in my opinion!

DammitJanet

I heard that too. I really now think he intended to die while doing this. He probably knew he would never make it out alive so he made sure the beneficiary was to her grandmother. What is strange is that he changed it from his daughter to the grandmother when he could have left it at both of them getting a split. It is a puzzle that is for sure. Though I think him doing that meant he never intended to kill Hannah. One good thing.

DammitJanet

I heard that today on the news. Someone in his family are claiming the kids could have been his and that is why he changed his insurance over to the grandmother. Hannah's father says that they used his DNA to identify her little brother's remains. He also says they didnt meet this man until the wife was 6 months pregnant with Hannah. Who knows. I had the thought go through my head that maybe he was her father and that is why this all happened. Why he was so involved with her. I dont know that I have heard that he was as involved with the little brother. This has to be so awfully hard on the family.