Hannah Hurricane Party!

DammitJanet

I swear the folks around here are going absolutely nutty about poor Hannah. They are opening shelters and stocking up on bread and water and this little storm is a baby...lol.

Everywoman does get a day off because of it though. They have already closed her school district and the storm isnt even supposed to hit until late friday night or early saturday morning...lol.

We do need the rain though.

What is really funny? They have Jamie on standby for opening shelters in Difficult Child for the animals...lmao!

So anyone from SC to VA...if you need to house your animal...just tell me, we can call Jamie! If not, join me in our hurricane party. Im bringing the margaritas and chips.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hello (tap tap) helllllllloooooooooooo

Yes I have three puppies I would like to bring with me to the hurricane party. Actually I think it's hanna the tropic storm party - and Igor (pronounced EYE-GORE) is going to be something....but nothing for us in the Carolinas - AND I AM SO GLAD......

I still have visions of pigs floating in the water dead......awful.

So I'm bringing my puppies and some JACK DANIELS........and a tomato.....and a cucumber, a bunch of celery (and the rest of the Veggie Tales I swiped from Amazing's post) I HAVE ALL THE VEGGIES.....:tongue:

klmno

Yep, our governor already declared a state of emergency here too so area shelters can prepare. Storms/hurricanes normally calm a little between NC and VA so I thought this was a little extreme for this one. They say Ike might be a lot worse.

But, shoot, if there's going to be a party this is just as good of a reason as any!! I'll bring spaghetti!

klmno

Not to hijack the thread- but Star- how did yoou get 3 puppies? Two didn't come from Pootie did they- I thought you had her spayed??

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have my furry love Casper, The Pit bull - Bull (oh so original) and Pootie the sparkle fanny princess.

DammitJanet

Well Klmno...you can run on up there to Stafford if you get bored...or if you need a basement. Jamie has plenty of room! He is also one who will get power back on ASAP because he lives right next to the Sheriffs dept on the same line and we all know they get their service back up first. You can take your pets too. Nothing like knowing the local animal control officer...lol.

I still think its hilarious that he may have to go out and dog sit!

donna723

Is it still supposed to be a category one storm? I've been kind of worried about my daughter and sister in law in Charleston but they could probably sleep through a category one! But they might like to join the party! They have two dogs and a (old, lazy, overweight) cat - can they come? You'd like them!

We lived in Florida for so many years, I still know the drill! Fill the bathtub with water and every container in the house, buy food that doesn't need to be cooked, put away the lawn furniture, board up the windows, have lots of candles ...

In Tennessee we do the same thing when it's supposed to snow! First little snowflake that hits the ground, everybody hits the grocery store and buys up every loaf of bread and jug of milk in the store ... Then, even if it does snow, it's usually gone the next day!

klmno

Jamie is my hero!! Can I be his second Mom?

Star- ok, I understand now- I do remember that you had the two already in the family- I just thought you meant you had 2 more young babies! Shooh- that would be a handful!

everywoman

If I can get over my disappointment at having to miss school for a stupid little storm, I will join you. The girls, Prissy and Pinky, will wear their finest. I've got a case of life water, (difficult child has sworn off sodas cause they're "bad for you"---as if daily pot smoking isn't!) so I'll steal some of his stock, other than that there's not much in the house---no reason to stock up during Hurricane season. I still have horrible memories of Hugo and the entire freezer of southern food meat that had to be trashed because we had no electricity for a week---and we are on the same line as the hospital---(It's really hard to cut up and remove 100 year old oak trees along five miles of electrical line.)

Fran

Former desparate mom
Being the lucky girl I am, I am scheduled to go on vacation at the shore in NC on Sunday. :2dissapointed: I don't mind wind and rain. A vacation is a vacation but what a bummer if we have to evacuate.
Ike is scary. I'll be keeping my eyes open that's for sure.

Between Andrew in Miami and the near misses on Galveston, I'm getting pretty good at keeping the hurricane emergency box ready. Sigh.
I'll be ready for margarita's. The puppies are going with me to the beach.

DammitJanet

Well...keep us in your thoughts everyone. Hannah appears to be a difficult child. Aint that just my luck...lol. They were calling for her to skirt the shores and rush on up the coast but now it looks like she will actually make landfall and come inland right on top of me!

Im not all that worried about real damage but I will probably lose power which means no AC and no computer and no TV! I will be miserable. Tony did suggest we go buy a few dvd's...lol. I do have a portable dvd player with a car charger and a full tank of gas. I wonder if Billy's laptop has a car charger? Hmmmm. Maybe I could stretch the phone cord out the front door!

klmno

Good luck, Janet! I'll be thinking about you. I guess I should call my Mom- she was probably told to evacuate but she's already said she'll never do that.

witzend

I swear, between your bugs and your storms, I don't know how you folks stand it down there! Wish I could make it - I heard Raoul is going to be mixing drinks!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Witz, if this is any explanation, I don't think I have loved living anywhere more than NC. I have lived in 5 different parts of the country and some states I lived in a state twice. While all of the different areas have something unique and wonderful I don't think any hold a candle to NC.
The skies are blue, blue, blue most of the time. The winters aren't horrid like my home state of Pa but cold enough to appreciate the warmer weather. The summers are hot but it's not the brain frying heat for 6 months like Texas.
The mosquitoes and chiggers are nasty but I chose to live in the forest.

Hurricanes give you 48 hrs or more to evacuate if you have any common sense, unlike tornadoes or earthquakes.
Anyhow, I'm going to enjoy the Hurricane Hanna party and maybe learn to play poker while we hunker down.

everywoman

I agree Fran. There is something about the south that you can't appreciate until you've lived here. I'm 10 minutes from the ocean, 5 minutes from the intercoastal waterway, 5 hours from the mountains.

The mosquitoes can be a pain, but you learn to spray and use citronella and not do yard work at dawn or dusk.

The grass is green year round, winters are mild, snow very rarely, a nice long cool spring and fall, and a short hot summer for perfect beach weather.

Now, deal those cards, I'll fix us some nice iced tea and fresh strawberry pie, and let's enjoy the wind and rain.

susiestar

Roll With It
MMMMM strawberry pie. I like the sound of that. I am thinking about making some frozen lemonade pie for us. I also have sliced apples and homemade caramel sauce. and a nice big bottle of wine to share.

Deal me in!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
gesh here in NJ all the radio & TV stations keep having the "emergency broadcast alert" go off. And it's not a test. It' warning of high winds, terrential rains and possible flooding. Even Geico emailed me and told me what to do if I sustain Hurricaine damage, I thought that was very nice of them, by the way!

everywoman

Yeah Allstate gave me the call earlier today. The problem is in SC they do not cover wind damage! Too close to the coast. So, unless a tree falls on the roof--if the wind takes it---your loss.

DammitJanet

I just came on to check on everyone.

Fran and Everywoman...I really do agree with you even if Im not all that thrilled with the exact spot I live at in NC. I think the three states of VA/NC/SC are probably the best places to live. I am a bit partial to VA because that was where I was born and raised so I think it is pretty beautiful. Living in Richmond I was about equal distance to both the mountains and the beach.

Then I moved to Myrtle Beach and lived one block off the beach. Except for the real touristy stuff in the "on" months, it was a nice place to live. I dont think I would like it as much now since their season is pretty much year round.

Now I live about 60 or so miles from either Wilmington or N.Myrtle Beach. Im about an hour and a half from Raleigh. I live right on I95 so I can get to just about anything. Our temps are normally pretty good. Once in a blue moon we get a snow fall that actually accumulates and hangs around for more than a day or two. That freaks everyone out so much that everything closes for a week...lol. (We actually had 18 inches one time and the town closed down for 2 weeks!) That is so rare. Our normal winter temps are probably around 40. Normal summer temps are around 95 or so...but the humidity makes it feel hotter. We may get a few days in the 100s but not many. We had more than normal this year.

ohhhh....I hear rain and wind!

Donna...check in and let us know about your daughter and how she is fairing. Heard Charleston got some bad rain.