Happy hanukkah!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I know it is late on the East Coast, only 9:30 over here!
I wanted to wish everyone a Wonderful start to the Festival of Hanukkah.

K and N have learned about all of the traditions over the Holidays so we make sure and mark each one and talk about the importance of each persons faith and why.

F

flutterbee

Happy Hanukkah! (We don't have a menorah emoticon?)

I'm ignorant on what Hanukkah is a celebration of. If one of you that celebrates it wouldn't mind, I'd really like to know. I've heard the gist of it, but not the real meaning.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Happy Hanukkah! Heather...you're not alone. ;) I don't think there was one Jewish person is SD when I was growing up. But, one of the nicest things about the private school I taught at in Vegas is that they celebrated nearly every holiday and diversity you could think of. We really encouraged kids to learn about other's traditions, etc. I loved it.

I remember one little guy telling me he was 'Jewish light.' His dad was Jewish, mom was Christian. I nearly died laughing. I told him when his dad picked him up that he was double dipping...yeah, get the days of Hanukkah presents, then move on to Christmas day.

Abbey

Fran

Former desparate mom
There is a lovely story of faith and hope and oil for one day that lasted 7 that is the basis for Hanukkah. I'm not Jewish but I love the story and the rituals.
Do a google search,Heather. I find that there are so many interesting celebrations in all cultures and faith.
I learned to make latkes and ended up loving them.

Sending Hanukkah wishes to those who celebrate. May the candles burn forever.

Last edited:

Estherfromjerusalem

Well, we are enjoying our Hanukka so far. Fran, you sound quite Jewish, what with making latkes and all!!!!

I'm sure the internet can explain it better than I can, especially since I am so tired but if I have to, I will. I will look in a bit later and see what you guys have written.

In the meantime I am worn out with getting presents (20 grandchildren -- it's not a joke), and with baking special spicy biscuits that my mother used to make for Hanukka, that she called "pfefferkuchen" and they are really good.

So happy Hanukka to all, and I think it is already apt to wish everyone also a merry Christmas, too.

Love, Esther

Fran

Former desparate mom
Esther, I even had a menorah for my sister's then husband.
Please send me your mother's recipe. It sounds wonderful.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, we are enjoying our Hanukka so far. Fran, you sound quite Jewish, what with making latkes and all!!!!

...and with baking special spicy biscuits that my mother used to make for Hanukka, that she called "pfefferkuchen" and they are really good.

Esther - we make both and we're not Jewish!! We love latkes! easy child made them for us the other night.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I know what I'll be googling this evening. :) I know some but not much. And sharing the latkes recipe would be nice. I'd love to try them.

Esther, oh my! 20 grandchildren! Whew! I hope you have a very wonderful Hanukka. ((hugs))

Estherfromjerusalem

OK, Fran, this recipe is for you, and for anyone else who wants to try it. But I warn you, it looks really complicated, but when you get all the ingredients together and do it, it is quite easy. My mother's recipe was all in English weights and measures, my sister who has been making it for years translated it into metric, so I am giving you a combination, the one I used:

In a pan put:
I packet of margarine (half a pound)
three-quarters of a pound of sugar
one pound of golden syrup or honey
Heat that over the flame until it is smooth, but don't let it bubble although it gets really hot

In the meantime, in a very large bowl, put the dry ingredients:
Two and a half pounds of self-raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa (not drinking cocoa, just pure cocoa powder)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cloves
half a teaspoon ground nutmeg
Mix all that. Make three "wells" in the flour mixture.
Into one larger "well" put three eggs (two if they are very large), slightly beaten.
In another "well," put one teaspoon baking soda mixed with a drop of water
In the third "well," put one teaspoon baking powder, mixed with a drop of water.
Then add the liquid mixture, and knead. It is very very soft dough. Maybe add a bit of flour to make it workable. Prepare greased baking trays.

Roll out the dough about a quarter of an inch thick (half a centimeter). Put a lot of flour on the counter top before rolling out the dough, otherwise it will stick to the surface. Cut to size by placing the baking tray on top of the rolled-out dough and measuring and then cutting off what is too much. Place in the baking tray (this is tricky because it tears; the trick is laying half of the dough over the rolling pin and then moving it over, or else folding it and moving it over onto the tray). Smooth the dough in the tray to fill in the corners and also to remove any air bubbles. Mark the dough before putting it into the oven. We do it diamond shapes, not big. Bake until it becomes golden brown, at the regular temperature that you usually do cakes and cookies. The smell in the kitchen is wonderful!

Prepare icing using icing sugar with a little hot water. You need quite a lot of icing sugar for this quantity. When the biscuits come out of the oven, cut the shapes immediately. Then ice the whole tray, and sprinkle cake decorations, and let them cool down. If you have baked them too long, they will be hard. So then, what you have to do is leave them out for a few days and they become softer by the day.

There! I did it. Sorry it is so long and complicated, but it is truly worth it. Once they are done you have a really good stock of biscuits. When I say "biscuits," of course I mean cookies!!! I presume that in Europe they were Christmas cookies and my mother used to make them for Hanukka every year -- one of my earliest memories. This year was the first time I did it myself, and I have already made the second lot. It took me two hours from start to finish which is not bad. It makes about 200 cookies (depends how small you cut them).

Fran, if you make them, let me know how it comes out. "Pfefferkuchen"

As regards latkes -- well, I have been trying to diet, and I just can't resist those latkes when I make them. I can already feel that I have put on weight.

Happy festivals to all!

Love, Esther

klmno

Happy hanukkah! And thank you, Esther!! Whatever recipes you feel like typing up, I would love to copy and try!! I'm sure you need some rest though first- 20 grandchildren would require a lot of energy!! How exciting though- you must be very proud of your family!

Jena

Happy Hanukkah!!! :)

i absolutely love many of the traditions surrounding this particular holiday as well as many of the others. A very close friend of mine celebrated years ago and I was lucky to be there to share in it and learn a little of the traditions and meaning of it.

really great stuff.