Happy New Year!!!

Marguerite

I thought we could post this as each of us reaches midnight and turns over to 2010.

:D I know we are early for most of you but as husband says
"The world cannot end today because it is tomorrow in Australia..."

Right now it's next year! We've just got back from a fairly quiet night at mother in law's. She's pretty frail having spent most of the last week in hospital with heart problems so our plans to go out and celebrate with the rest of Sydney had to go on the back burner this year. Maybe next year, when we hope to get to Sydney Observatory, right next to the Harbour Bridge with a top view of the big fireworks display.

It's nearly 2 am now, definitely time for bed!

I had wanted to do things a little differently this year; for some reason, the adult kids don't want to spend new year with us (yeah, I know, it's obvious - it's too often been deadly dull with us).

So taking mother in law's frailness into account I knew we wouldn't be able to do much after all.

BUT - we bought a new TV which husband installed yesterday. And today we were meeting with the electrician about installing our new induction cooktop. Talk about busy - the electrician said we're going to have to put in new wiring, we need to do some carpentry (ie husband needs to do some carpentry) and we have a hole we need to fill (and decorate somehow). So we went out to get tiles and hopefully some timber. We dragged mother in law along too (to have the new year's outing I wanted). The tile place turned out to be a fizzer, can't get any tiles i want for several weeks (due to the summer/new year shutdown) and the timber place was closed. So we found the supacentre hardware, looked at all the finishing options (tiles; stainless steel; aluminium; glass etc) and have decided we'll simply use paint for now and then later on we'll use laminex. But at least husband got the timber - because for now, our old cooktop is disconnected and on the woodheap in the backyard, the new one is in a box in the living room and we have no cooktop until the new one goes in. Next Tuesday, I hope.

All this is a longwinded way of saying - tomorrow husband is planning on working on the kitchen cooktop bench area. I've promised to take mother in law to the beach for a simple lunch picnic, I'm hoping to get husband to join us (wish us luck with parking!). It's only five minutes down the road to the beach, it shouldn't interrupt his day too much.

And today with the drive to the hardware? We had planned on going to the coffee shop on the mainland - but it was shut. They were all shut. On the way home mother in law suggested the coffee shop in the next village, it's run by a friend of ours who catered for difficult child 1's wedding. So we drove there, not expecting her to be open - and she was! So after a steamy, hot afternoon feeling mostly frustrated, we sat overlooking the bay (tide was out) and enjoyed the cool sea breeze in the afternoon, sitting in the shade of an umbrella while we drank the best coffee in town.

We went back to mother in law's, took our coffee machine down there, cooked a roast veal dinner for the four of us and drank good coffee all evening, finishing with a bottle of French champagne at midnight. We watched the Sydney Harbour fireworks on TV and outside could her fireworks in the distance. We don't think it was Sydney fireworks, it could have been a town closer to us, but we have in the past heard them all the way from Sydney.

If you get to see our fireworks on your telly, I hope you enjoy them. There were some wonderful colours this year, it was wonderful seeing the water of the Harbour lighting up with the colours.

difficult child 3 has been good, cooperative and not argumentative. We rang sis-in-law at midnight (our time) which was 9 pm her time. Because husband finished off the champagne (SUCH a sacrifice!) I drove home while difficult child 3 drove my electric scooter. The night is very bright tonight with the full moon - the pall of smoke from the fireworks probably helps diffuse more light as well.

Right now it's hot and muggy - 80% humidity and 24 C (75 F). And that's 2 am! feels like flakeout time under a single sheet with the fan going.

Enjoy your New Year, in whatever form it takes for you.

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Happy New Year, Marg. Hope mine's as enjoyable as yours. At 30 degrees and raining, tho, somehow...I just don't see it being quite the same.

M

ML

I'm going to say Happy 2010 now because I don't think I'm going to make it till 12:00 Mountain Time. Best wishes for authentic happiness and joy for everyone in the coming year. HAPPY NEW YEAR~~

Manster is reading trivial pursuit questions and bragging about staying up till midnight. I said that was fine but I get to go to bed whenever I want to as well :)

Last edited:

smallworld

Happy New Year!

husband, the girls and I just watched the ball drop from Times Square on TV. Earlier this evening, we had about 20 friends over for appetizers, dinner and dessert, but they left following a champagne or sparking cider toast at 10:30 pm.

Wishing each and every one of you only the best in 2010!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Happy New Year to those who have already celebrated and those who have yet to celebrate. Peace, health, and prosperity to all

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We're counting down the minutes still here on the west coast. Watching a House marathon and trying to keep the restless difficult child's at bay. Hopefully we'll make it to midnight without any meltdowns!

This next decade has to be better for our family. In the last 10 years we had a Crohn's disease diagnosis, two ADHD diagnoses, a bipolar diagnosis, an autoimmune movement disorder, a seizure disorder, a brain surgery, and a layoff (well, there was a lot more, but those are the highlights).

:D I can hardly wait for the next 10 years!

Andy

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I loved New Year's Eve 10 years ago when the news coverage highlighted celebrations around the globe as each time zone reached the year 2000. Diva had her 1st New Year's Eve party that night but many kids could not come because their parent's were nervous about the Y2K scares and others had other family plans but she did have one friend and they had a great night! (She had sleepovers on New Year's Eve nights so no kids on the roads overnight)

I had a great time at a neighbors house tonight. No driving, just walking two doors down. I grew up staying off the roads on New Year's Eve as much as possible. Even if you don't drink, there are is a special kind of danger on nights like tonight when many people do drink and drive. Law enforcements have done a great job on cracking down but they can not be everywhere all the time. There is a path between our two homes so we could even stay off our road. Diva and her boyfriend left at 11:30 to go to a party with friends closer to their own age. I hope they stay safe on the roads tonight.

It is now almost 2:00 am my time and I am going to bed. Tomorrow we go to husband's cousin's home, another great day! We look forward to that get together every year. We don't have to leave until 10:30 so we get to sleep in a little. Getting up for work is going to be a challenge come Monday.

KTMom91

California just brought in the new year! The church across the street has a celebration going, with great music, the cowboys a few blocks down are hootin' and hollerin', and Piccolo Petes and firecrackers are going off like crazy.

Wishing everyone a wonderful 2010!

LittleDudesMom

Happy New Year Everyone!

I went to a party for a couple hours last night but came home to ring in the new year with my difficult child....he and I watched Dick Clark as the ball dropped and toasted with sparkling white grape!

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Happy 2010!!

We had a great night at my niece's and sister in law's. We played games and then turned to Dick Clark's about 3 minutes before the New Year!