Happy update

SmallTownMom

Well these past few months we have had a lot of ups and downs, but my difficult child is showing huge strides! I have recently purchased the Ross Green book "The Explosive Child", I can only imagine what I can learn from this. We are now on a waiting list for a program base on his book.

My difficult child has been able to communicate his feeling with me so much easier, it has made life so much more enjoyable. At times he needs support to verbalize what he needs. The other day I was picking him up from school and it took him 3 times longer to get to the car. He has always been quiet when he gets out of school, he needs the calm down time from being over stimulated. But this day something was different, I let him think and process for a little bit and then asked if everything was ok. Well, that opened up a whole can of worms! You see it was his Christmas concert that night, he was worried about getting there to late, getting there to early, his back being sore from standing, his throat getting sore from to much singing, the big crowd, all the strangers.... and so on. I wish I had remembered that he had the same meltdown last year as well. We talked about it and tried to come up with a solution to all these concerns. When I saw that it was not going to happen I told him that we did NOT have to go. He was worried about his teacher getting upset. His teacher is amazing, her son is Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), and she LOVES my difficult child. I have not heard anything bad about his behavior at all the year (this is the first year he has had thumbs up with his behavior). I reassured him that his teacher would be very supportive and understanding.

Last night he was the computer playing games and on facebook before he went to bed. Once he was sleeping I logged on to my facebook and saw that he had written me a not that said " I LOVE TO SEE YOUR PRETTY FACE IN THE MORNING" . I was so touched! I must be doing something right.

buddy

This is an award winning post for me. I love that your efforts (and clearly his too!) are being rewarded like that. It is so great that this teacher gets your kiddo! Now if she could move along with him.......

His post was so sweet. I got a lump in my throat. Beautiful.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Very sweet post Lavender, thanks. I love what your son said on Facebook, I got that lump in my throat like Buddy.................I'm sure you're doing A LOT right.....................