Happy Valentine's Day---let's enjoy THIS day, even if...

Childofmine

one day at a time
Happy Valentine's Day to all. Yes, I know it's just a Hallmark card profit center, but also, it reminds us to pause and be grateful for all that IS good in our lives.

There are people who love us, whom we love, there is enough to eat today, shelter, good friends, we are upright and still alive, our dogs and cats think we're AWESOME, and right here, today, the sun is shining after months and months of dreary cold, bitter cold. There is a lot to be thankful for, even as...times are still tough and will be tough in the days ahead.

No Pollyanna here.

I KNOW there is so much pain, grief, shock, anguish, disappointment...should I go on...even to be felt and noticed today.

There is fear. Fear is the most crippling emotion of all, I believe.

Just for today, let's make a gratitude list. It can be short. It can list just 2 or 3 or 5 things we can think of.

Mine is this:

1. I had 12 donut holes today instead of my usual Friday 6, in honor of Valentine's Day. They were GOOD!
2. The sun is shining, and the sky is blue.
3. My older son's birthday is today, and he and his fiancee are on the way here to stay for the weekend.
4. I have a loving SO who gets me, gets my situation, and is infinitely patient and kind as I continue on this journey of change.
5. I have so many dear friends---including those whose real names I don't even know right here on this site. I think we all need to take a cruise together!

There IS hope. God is in charge. Let's let him. Just for today.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Happy Valentine's Day. I'm in for the cruise idea!

*I am grateful to be above ground!!
*For my loving, funny, wonderful SO
*for the beauty of where I live
*for my health and well being
*for my friends, here and in real life
*for my joy
*for feeling so well loved

Echolette

I am grateful for the resilience I have, gifted to me by my mom.
I am grateful for the strength of my relationship with my siblings as adults.
I am grateful for the kindness of SO (I can't help saying here that he has also bought me an unusual amount of pain)
I am grateful for the sunny sunny day
I am grateful that my body works, that I can see, walk, that I could bear children, that I can lift and carry.
I am grateful for a good job.
I am grateful for my sweet sweet dog Artemis.
I am grateful for you all.

Scent of Cedar *

Happy Valentine's Day to every one of us, working so hard to bring our lives and the lives of our children and even, of our extended families back into balance.

We are amazing.

Facing our lives and our losses head on, we are coping and helping and holding strong for ourselves, our troubled kids, and each other. And all this happens in the quiet, in the decisions made in the middle of the night, in the choice to stand up and greet the coming day with hope and courage.

Yep. And most of the people in our lives will never know the strength it takes to do what we do, routinely.

I am grateful for so many things. Grateful my daughter is alive and recovering so beautifully, grateful I confronted my son and that whatever is going to happen there is well on its way. So happy in my grandchildren, and in husband.

Know what we are doing, tonight? Nothing. We are staying home and eating fancy things. My favorite place, home.

There is so much to be grateful for. I am happy you started this thread. We are always so sad, here. It is good to see you all in this different way, good to know you are happy.

Wishing everyone such a good night.

The sun is just setting, here. Time for Happy Hour with husband.

:O)

Cedar