Hard part of my job

Wiped Out

Staff member
Today was the first time I have had to be in on a conversation with Social Services as a mandatory reporter.

The child came to school today told us a lot of what has been going on and that when his mom got mad yesterday she started whooping him with an extension cord on the leg. There were no marks but we called anyways even though though the school psychologist told us they wouldn't do anything because there weren't any marks. At least by reporting it the other aide and I felt we had done our part.

Most days I enjoy my job-today was not one of them.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Nope, that would not be a fun thing to do. Sorry you had to wear that hat today. Hope tomorrow is better.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sharon

I'm glad you reported. Nothing may come of your call, but a child realizing that someone really does give a d*mn. And that can make all the difference.

Sorry you had to wear that hat today. It's no fun, I know.

Hugs

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon, you did the right thing. I wish that someone had intervened much earlier for the tweedles; things "may" be different.

I'm glad you stepped up to the plate.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to make that report. What social services does after you report should have no bearing on whether you report or not. The psychiatric was WRONG to tell you it was pointless to report because he has no marks.

If possible suggest that they take photos to see if there is bruising that has not appeared yet. It is fairly simple if htey have the right filter for the camera (I had this kind of filter in high school and was fascinated by the things you could see that were not readily visible). They may not want to do that, but at least you iwll have tried.

I hope and pray the child gets the help and protection he needs. You did a hard but good thing. Keep on reporting if you see/hear of other problems.

Andy

You did the right thing. I do hope the child was just telling a tall tale to get attention but the mandatory law is to protect you from making that call. If something is going on and you do not report it, that would be terrible.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Those calls are important. If nothing else it sets a timeline for anything that may happen in the future. Not that anyone wants it to but unfortunately if it happens once it is likely to happen again.

hugs
beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm sorry your job had that in it.

Has anyone given this boy a safehouse or block home to go to?

Has anyone suggested that the Mom get counseling?

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
It makes me sad that little kids are still being beaten with weapons. I hope everyone continues to call about these cases until it stops.
You did good Wiped Out.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone. Today was another hard day. He came in complaining his older sister at hit on him. Then when he was talking to the nurse he said he had a plan to kill his sister and mother. He is only 9 or 10, I don't think he would carry through. However, they did call the police and they came to talk to him about the past few days. I do hope the mom can get some help.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Odds are he was being "punished" for saying something to someone. I hope that a complete investigation is done and this child is placed where he is safe.

Hugs