Has anyone else noticed a "chat" option?

T

TeDo

I'm sitting here reading posts and all of a sudden there is a box at the bottom of the screen saying there are three people available to chat.....just like facebook. Am I imagining things or do we have real-time chat as an option now?

R

runawaybunny

Yep, I just finished installing it. We're going to try it out for a few days and see if it's worth keeping.

Who can use the chat feature?

Private instant messaging and group chat rooms are available to logged in members only. The default setting is available to private instant chat.

Don't want to chat? Simply remove the checkmark from the available to chat selection by clicking the gear icon in the chat sidebar.
You can also turn it off and hide the chatbar by clicking the icon on the far right that is labeled "Hide Chat".

Unregistered users or members that are not logged into their accounts cannot see the chat. This is to conserve our server resources and keep the site running smoothly.

Keeping chat open while changing pages.

The chatbar goes across all pages, posts, threads, etc. so you don't have to stay on one page to keep chatting.

You can keep the chat open across pages by clicking the "Options" icon in the navigation bar and selecting "Keep Chatroom Window Open".

Please note that depending upon your screen resolution it may cover some things like "Top" or "Submit". Simply click the bar and it'll minimize until you change screens, when it opens back up.

Joining a group chat.

To join an existing group chat select the "Chat Rooms" icon located on the right side of the chat bar.

A pop up window with a real time list of existing group chat rooms will display along with the number of participants currently using that room.

To enter a chat room click on the link and the chat room will open in the same window.

Creating a group chatroom

You can create your own chat room by selecting the "Chat Rooms" Icon located on the right side of the chat bar and then clicking the "Create" icon in the navigation bar at the top of that window.

Please note that after you press enter it doesn't look like it did anything but it will in a second. If your chat room stays empty and unused for 15 minutes it will disappear.

How to turn chat on or off and hide or open the chatbar.

To turn chat on or off:

• Click Chat in the lower right corner of your screen
  • Click the gear menu in the chat sidebar
  • Select Available for Chat to turn it on or off

The chatbar goes across all pages, posts, threads, etc. Nobody says you have to use it, so you have the choice to get it off of your screen by clicking the icon on the far right that is labeled "Hide Chat".

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
OK - I just played around with it and I cannot get the "Available to Chat" checkmark to turn OFF.

Oh wait - maybe I did....it shows that I am "Offline"...

but each time I look under the tool symbol - the checkmark is there...

Have I stopped it?

R

runawaybunny

Yep, you turned it off as long as you don't open the list of who is available to chat. Opening that list changes your settings back to available to chat.

You can also turn it off and hide the chatbar by clicking the icon on the far right that is labeled "Hide Chat".

T

TeDo

Cool. Thanks Cheryl, your AWESOMENESS!! There are times where private messaging can take so long. This is a wonderful addition to the site and I hope there aren't any problems.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Hi, RunawayBunny, by the way that was going to be my screen name but you beat me to it! I want to let you know that I was IM'ing with Malika and suddenly my posts to her just would not go through. Thank you for the new feature, I got to talk with someone in the South of France. YESSSSS!

DammitJanet

I love chatting! Got me so much trouble in my younger days..lmao. Oh right, this isnt THAT type of web host! Just kidding.