Has anyone ever had....

mstang67chic

Going Green
....a (and I know I'm going to butcher the spelling of this) sebacious cyst? I have one that I'm having removed on Saturday. It's not bothering me but once I found out what it would be like if it DID rupture on it's own.....I'll have it taken out now thank you very much.

I didn't really think much about it but then my mom...God love her....informed me that she wants to come over and check on me afterwards and see how I'm doing. (It's being done in the doctor's office. They just numb the area, make a small incision, pop it out and boom...done.) I figured I would be a little tender because of the incision and also where the cyst is located but I think Mom has made me a bit nervous. (The cyst is....um.....well, let's just say that I may not be sitting right for a few days. It's not waaaay in but it is located just far enough "in" to be considered in.)

So...anyone had one of these removed before? And possibly in the same general area? Obviously it's not a big deal if it's being done in the doctor's office but I'm getting a bit more curious.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yep. I've had several cysts removed (thanks to my Dad's side of the family for THAT lovely trait!)...a couple were sebacious cysts. Top-top-top inner thigh (ewwww!).

They really do numb it, "pop" it out (the sound was the worst part because I could hear it POP, I kid you not!)...a few stitches and that was it. Recovery was quick- the difficult part was keeping it from rubbing on clothing, etc.

You'll do fine. Milk it for what it's worth at home ;)

Suz

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I had one in my armpit when I was a teenager. The pediatrician removed it. The numbing part stung a little bit, from what I remember. I think I had one, maybe two stitches. He said it was from using antiperspirants, in my case.

It shouldn't be a big deal for you. But milk that excuse to be pampered!

nvts

Had one on my scalp so they had to do it in the hospital (scalp lacerations bleed a lot, so they were playing it safe). The numbing shot hurt less than when they numb your gums at the dentist and I have to say, there was no real after pain (except when I was late for work, half asleep and brushed my hair "real quick!").

Good luck on Saturday and I second that you milk the "horrible pain" that you're in! ;)

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
husband had one removed. I think he had 2 stitches....and it was an awfully big one right at the base of his neck. Odd, turned out mother in law had had several removed from the same spot.

Lucky me tends to get them on my face. I know I probably should have them removed but I don't. I use heat soaks.......and handle it myself. I just have to be sure to get to it fast enough. Mine appears to have arrived with menopause. (wasn't that a wonderful gift?) But since I haven't had a period in about 2 yrs......they seemed to have gone away too. *knocks on wood fast just in case*

Of course husband milked it for everything it was worth. mother in law was a leetle tender and that was it. And in my opinion hers was way worse than husband's was.

susiestar

Roll With It
I had one in a feminine area. I went to the GYN because I was sore and as he looked as it it popped. It was LOUD, but after he cleaned it up it wasn't a problem at all. It was just something I hadn't experienced before, so I wanted to have it looked at. Knock on wood, haven't had one since.

I didn't have a numbing shot or any kind of medication, so I can't answer on that. But I recently had a lidocaine shot in my arm so they could put the special high tech IV line in and that didn't hurt, I actually didn't notice it. But I was a bit distracted.

I am sorry you have this, and hope it all goes smoothly and recovery is very easy.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
When I had mine removed, the cyst was so sore that I don't recall the shot being a problem.

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
I SECOND THE MOTION TO MILK IT FOR WHAT IT's WORTH.....
(ROFLMnonsebaceouscystAoff) at Suz......

BE WELL - you little POP tart you......

Aunti MStang -
Iz Pootie

PWEASE GETS WEAWY WELL SOZE CWOE don't worry bout chu. She's berry worried.

Wubs
Pootie -
GLITTER OVERLOAD - OMG we literally HOWLED and it's going in her scrap book - THANKS 'stang.

mstang67chic

Going Green
LOL You guys crack me up. And you can bet your donkey's that I will milk it....husband is actually off for the weekend so I plan on taking advantage of it. (Yes Honey, I KNOW it's only 2 stitches but do you know how stitches feel THERE??? Muwahahahahahahahaha)

Thank you Pooties....I'm sure I'll be just fine and Cloe won't have to worry. I'm so glad you liked your little surprise from Cloe and I. As soon as I tore the previous day off the calendar, I KNEW I HAD to send it to you! Gotta love Happy Bunny!
Auntie 'Stang

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - its NOT a sebacious cyst. It's a weasle.

Weasle, weasle, weasle. BECAUSE all day to day thanks to the POP reference..........I've been singing.

All around the carpenters bench
The Monkey chased the weasle
Weasle said was all in fun
POP
goes the weasle.

Gosh when you type it out........it really looses the fun.

I hope you sing this dadblamed song ALL day tomorrow Weasle.....lol

mstang67chic

Going Green
Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Hag.

Your ears will be burning tomorrow.

Quick! Someone give me Star's phone number!!!! :devil:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
As I was reading susiestar's reply I was thinking snap, crackle, POP, rice krispies!!!!

Hope the doctor gets to pop it, but if I hear any loud pops on Saturday, I will know it's YOU!

On second thought, maybe you ought to get the name of her doctor, all he had to do was LOOK at it...... no surgery involved........

snap, crackle, POP...... rice krispies........ oooooooooh

Marguerite

My mother had a sebaceous cyst on her back, between her shoulder blades. Every so often it would ooze and she would get me to squeeze it (which I hated doing) to relieve the pressure. It wasn't like a boil or pimple, more like an enlarged pore ++. I think she finally had it removed, much to my relief.

I had the local doctor remove what he thought was a sebaceous cyst from my back. He went to cut it open to prove to me it WAS a sebaceous cyst, but it blunted his scalpel. It turned out Occupational Therapist (OT) be a calcified something-or-other, potentially cancerous.

The "sebaceous cysts" in the perineal region that you girls seem to be describing, especially the painful ones, sound more like staph boils than sebaceous cysts. It's not uncommon for these to happen and they do pop then go away, as a rule. Again, not pleasant. Boils can build up around a hair follicle, or a sweat pore, or any other secretory duct. And we do ahve a few secretory thingies in that area, so small localised infections that build up as boils - it happens. I got one in my armpit and my doctor said it was from shaving, so I stopped shaving my armpits from that time on. Now I pluck them (you reckon I want hairy pits, in THIS heat?) Eventually the hairs give up trying to grow back so thick...

Marg

Marguerite

Not so ouch as getting boils there... but I take your point. I also pluck elsewhere, and THAT can hurt. At least, the first time. But it is so much cooler in summer... I use one of those epilator gadgets for the plucking. Working in from the edges. And voila! No shadow effect at the edge of the swimsuit.

Mind you, the first time I waxed in that area, I drew blood from each hair root. But these days, much less of a big deal, I can even pluck the occasional hair with fingers, they're so loose these days.

My girls used to watch in horror, then gave it a try. Then swore off it. Then tried again. Now they have their own epilators and love them.

Now I'm in menopause I findd the epilator great for those hairs under the chin that I can feel but not see well enough to pluck. The epilator won't hurt unless it finds a hair to pull out. So maybe it's easier these days because there are fewer hairs to rip out. It's also much quicker than it used to be. I can grab the gizmo and quickly whip over my legs, and know they're done for the next 6 weeks or more. Mind you, if I let everything grow back thick and bushy over winter, the first summer pruning can be a bit of a shock.

And the pits can be te pits, once your skin gets saggy & baggy. You don't want to snag skin instead of hair.

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Bows down and thanks higher powers that I was gifted with next to no body hair.

I've never had to shave anything.

Of course; I do still get the damned boils in hot weather, and that despite keeping myself very clean and as dry as possible.