Has anyone ever used one of these Keurig Coffee makers

DammitJanet

I am thinking of getting one for Tony for Father's Day. We got Tony a Hamilton Beach single cup coffee maker for his birthday last year and he liked it but Buck ended up breaking it because he made constant cups of coffee one right after the other and burned the machine out. The machine simply wasnt made for someone to make cups of coffee one after another for hours on end. I mean literally Buck would sit there all day long and drink cups of coffee like 5 an hour if not six and that machine was constantly running.

I am thinking of getting Tony a Keurig but it uses those little pods but you can also get a Keurig cup which is a screened filter that you can put regular coffee in so you dont always have to use the little pods. You can also make hot cocoa and tea. I also plan to get a milk frother but not from them. They have really cheap ones on Amazon. I am not a coffee drinker myself but I might be able to get into mocha choco caramel creamy things...lol.

I bought this for husband as a Christmas gift 2 1/2 years ago. It's the best thing I ever bought! I always use the pods, they are the cheapest at Shoffee. In 2 seconds he'll have a fresh cup of coffee. We love ours, husband bought a little one to take to work with him.

Mattsmom277

We bought one as a family Christmas gift. easy child can make hot cocoa and cold lemonade and ice tea in summer while s/o and I both get to enjoy the different coffees. He likes much stronger coffee than I do. I love that we don't end up with a pot full of a kind only one of us really enjoys.

I haven't bought pods for hot tea, although I drink more tea than coffee. I have heard they are really good.

We have tried a huge variety of the coffee flavors and I haven't met one I didn't like yet. We also have to the My K-Cup, which is the filter allowing you to use ground coffee and make your own pod. It works great.

Before we got our Keurig we were five years in to not owning a coffee pot. We had a pricey habit at a nearby coffee shop. 2-3 extra large take out coffees each, per day. We actually couldn't even stand other coffee and would only drink the one shops coffee. The Keurig was bought to help us break an awful and expensive habit. Well a week after getting the Keurig we used a gift card we had and grabbed a cup from the shop while out on errands. We both couldn't believe how terrible it tasted. Not anywhere near the quality we were making then at home. S/O also has one now at his work. He stores it in his massive tool chest in a special drawer with all of his favorite coffee pods haha.

You can also buy their coffee online at their site. There are over 100 kinds so the variety is nice. And at times I believe there is free shipping.

We have recently accidentally discovered that at least with the bold and extra bold pod types, if you use a tall mug you can use the largest cup setting and then immediately hit the small cup setting and the coffee is just as strong and perfect. Glad we realized that because s/o makes cup after cup some mornings. Now he had a huge mug with one pod.

klmno

I'm going to have to google this and see what it is. It sounds like what some hotels are putting in guest rooms these days. That could be useful in a household where people like different types of drinks.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My friend that teaches in the classroom next to me has one in her classroom! It's great and I don't drink coffee! I do use it for the hot water through my hot chocolate. I've actually thought about getting one just so I'd be able to offer coffee if anyone visited.

Ktllc

husband got the tassimo one for Xmas about 2 years ago. Best gift ever! We all love it. But unless you plan on buying the coffee online, don't buy the tassimo: local store have barely any choice, all they carry is the Keurig... 2 years ago Tassimo and Keurig were at 50/50. Now Keurig has like 90% of the market. Once our tassimo dies, we'll get the Keurig.
All the fancy drinks are good as well, but keep in mind that some can be a bit pricey (but still cheaper than the coffee house).

LittleDudesMom

Janet,

I've had one for years at home, the larger model with the water reservoir, and the single cup version at work! I love it! The kcups are expensive and I splurge on them when I find them on sale and keep a supply of various blends for company. I use the metal filter on a regular basis at home. I have the model you can program so when I go to bed at night I put my mug on it and load the machine with my coffee. When I come downstairs at 5 am, all I have to do is close the top and hit the button and I have a fresh brewed cup in seconds! I have two of the filters so I don't have to clean it out between cups!

The metal filter cups are fragile and I keep a toothbrush under my sink to use when cleaning it after use. You can also buy little paper filters at amazon which is what easy child uses (I gave her the single cup red one for her birthday last year).

In order to extend the life, make sure follow the cleaning guidelines.

Sharon

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have looked at those, but with Danny, Jamie and myself being HUGH coffee drinkers it would be too expensive - talking a minimum of two pots a day. I have a Cuisinart which has its own grinder in it so I put fresh beans in at night and have fresh ground coffee in the morning. We were going thru coffee makers like crazy - cusinart's last a long time and you can get replacement parts. I also stopped buying the bottles of creamers as that was getting expensive as well-3.00 for one bottle at the local grocery and 7.00 for a pack of three bottles - Dan could use up a bottle in two days. I now go to Costco/Sams club where I buy a box of those tiny individual creamers and keep them in the fridge.

If we were a one cup a day family that would make sense - Dan has one of those machines at work and loves that he can pick the kind of coffee he wants to drink. Personally I want one of those coffee makers that are permamently hooked into your water system :)

Marcie

Rabbit

We love our keurig. u can get deals on k cups with coupons and sales and sometimes Amazon. Also, u can get refillable pods and u can use your own coffee which makes it cheaper. Hugs Rabbit

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm the only one who drinks coffee and I love my Keurig is great for a great fresh cup. If a house full of people who drink coffee I use my regular pot. I have hot cocoa pods, tea pods as well as my mellow brand of coffee, plus some decaf for those who like decaf. It's been worth it for our home.

witzend

I love ours! The cups can be expensive, but I buy at Costco so we get a big bunch at a time. I also used the refillable one when there was still coffee in the house. when you buy the big one at Costco they give you 8 - 10 boxes of sample types to see what you like. I have about 6 boxes of them that I have been trying to decide whether to throw out or give away, and I'd be glad to get them to you for Tony.

I do think that it cuts down on a lot of waste. I used to make 2.5 cups of coffee, and sometimes I'd drink one, sometimes two, but usually not. This way I only make a cup if I really want to drink it.

Mattsmom277

Sounds like when they first came out the re usable filter piece was made differently than is on the market now. Mine is easily washable. I just knock excess coffee grounds into garbage and then rinse it properly under the tap and it comes clean. Mine is very sturdy and I can't imagine any reason it could end up damaged. I love the idea of having a spare so that it doesn't have to be cleaned between every single cup. Going to have to pick up another one.

We have gotten to where we try to each use our favorite flavor pod each morning for our first cup. Then we switch to our filter pod and use fresh ground coffee beans. It cuts down on cost while allowing us to always start our day with a variety of favorite flavors.

DammitJanet

So which one do you have...the 40, 60, or 70?

Im thinking of going with the 60 model. Seems the only major difference between the 60 and 70 is that the 70 can do a 12 oz cup. I think Tony can live with a 10 oz cup...lol.

donna723

My daughter has one and they always loved it. I thought it made really good coffee but I probably wouldn't get one for myself. I don't ever get a full cup of coffee, drink it all the way down, then get go another full cup. I start with a full cup and then I just keep topping it off from the pot when it hits the 2/3rds mark or so, so it doesn't get cold. Over the course of the morning I usually go through a whole pot of coffee all by myself and just add a little more sugar when it needs it.

Mattsmom277

We have the one that allows for the largest cup size. I think we could have lived without it. Since we do have it though and then discovered the trick of running a pod through twice if it's an extra bold flavor pod, S/O picked up a oversized travel cup to bring a coffee to work when he leaves each day. At least now we can see the usefulness of the larger size. I don't think it is necessary though so if nobody takes the tall travel mugs, I wouldn't bother. The next size down would do just fine.

LittleDudesMom

I have the 70 and it also has a "clean" feature that I use once a week. I do pull out my peculator when I have overnight guests (but I have my kcup first!).

Janet check Sams, Costco, and BJ's (whichever you may have a membership to). I think I saw the 60 at BJ's with like 6 boxes of sample kcups included....

Sharon

DammitJanet

I dont belong to any of those large membership places. We only have a Sam's here and we just got it about 5 years ago when my family was starting to get smaller. I hate to even say this but Im buying it using Billy's credit card from Walmart...lol. He lets me use it from time to time and I have no clue if I could use that at Sam's or not. Billy has other credit cards and I dont have any so he lets me use the Walmart card and pay it off.