Has anyone here ever entered a contest and won something?

Jody

Has anyone ever entered and won a prize, or been on a game show? Just curious. I see these contests every once in awhile and just wonder if I should enter.

witzend

I entered a contest at the Credit Union one time at a new branch and won. I think that I was the only one who entered, so...

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I've won door prizes before at business-related dinners. I once won a $100 gift certificate at my local Hallmark store in some contest they had. But big, national contests? Never. I rarely enter them, odds don't seem worth it to me. But someone's gotta win I suppose ...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
A local radio station ran this thing called the Fantastic Plastic Payoff - they do it after Christmas every year - and I entered one of my credit cards one year. They actually called my name, I got $350 out of it! Was able to pay off and close a VERY high APR credit card.

I've also won tickets to a rodeo (same year, different radio station LOL), a CD (first station, year after that)... And $150 in the Mega Millions lottery, last fall.

I was thinking I never win anything but that actually is a pretty good streak. Can't win if you don't play, I guess.

busywend

Have won various local things, but never a game show! I could not do it! I would freeze up even if I knew the answers. I play Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune from my comfy living room thank you!

Biggest thing I won....Rick Spingfield tickets...got to go back stage and meet him - and hug him!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
That reminded me -- years ago I met a woman who'd won a car on The Price is Right. Except she didn't keep it -- because the taxes it would have cost her were going to be too much. I'm guessing she took a cash option so they could take taxes out of that (vs. paying out of her pocket on the value of the car), but I never got that part of the story .. just that she didn't keep it!

So, winning is good, but winning something *too* big may cost ya!

TerryJ2

I never win if it's by lottery.
I often win if it's a small art or writing submission. If it's really small, I'll win a gift card or discount on some promotional item. If it's a bit larger in scope, the most I've won is $500. One of my sisters used to be an expert game show contestant and won $50,000 on Password Plus. She knows the ins and outs of the field. There are certain questions and answers that are expected. She also entered puzzle and writing contests. I don't know if she does it any more. It is quite time consuming.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I won free tickets to see the Nutcracker, twice! A radio station was holding a contest to make a nutcracker using household items so the girls and I made two-one using an old inhaler and another using a dish soap bottle, lol.

I also won small raffles and at pcs fundraiser I won a night of luxury in a local hotel and brunch, that was very nice!

InsaneCdn

Didn't Star win a hearing aid for DF? (or was that someone else on the board) That one was a writing submission type of contest.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't often enter contests, but when I do............I tend to win about 99 percent of the time. I have no clue why. It's just always been that way.

I've won a beautiful (and expensive) oak coat rack for my step dad one year for father's day. (mom's 3rd husband, I was about 15 at the time) I also won her 2 dozen long stemmed roses and a phone call on the radio as they were delivered the same year for mother's day. (she nearly killed me over that one, roses got her crying, her being interviewed over the radio infuriated her lol ) I've won concert tickets. I've won a beautiful Pendleton blanket which has been on my bed since Nichole was 7 yrs old.

I rarely play the lottery as well, when I do, I tend to win something........sometimes big, sometimes just my money back. Very rarely do I come up empty.

DammitJanet

when the lottery first came out in VA, I used to play scratch off tickets and I won pretty regularly but they were small amounts. I bought the 1 dollar cards and won normally 5 bucks back. the most I ever one was 50. Now, I have never won in the NC lottery at all. Personally I think they have put fewer winners out as the lotteries have become more a part of life.

I have only played mega million one time and didnt win a thing.

InsaneCdn

Janet... I'm not a lottery person, but GFGbro is/was... and he used to say: your chances of winning go DOWN significantly as the size of the prize goes UP. He refuses to buy tickets if the prize is over a million, because too many people jump in at that point and water down the odds. Small-time stuff? He "claimed" at one point to have a track record of about 10-to-1 on his money.