Has anyone read Dr. Amen's book?

mattsmum

Has anyone read Dr. Amen's book, "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness"?

I saw him on a PBS special and he sounded very interesting. One thing that was interesting to me is that he said eating pasta increases the serotonin levels in your brain...

BusynMember

Dr. Amen has been around a long time. Few professionals feel his claims are valid and he is not copied or thought highly of by his profession. I personally don't trust his methods--if they were good, everyone would use them. But that's JMO. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on Dr. Amen.

mattsmum

Thank you for letting me know. I was just struck by his comment that pasta increases serotonin levels in the brain....and my son loves pasta...didn't know if there was a connection.

BusynMember

It may, mattsmum, but, really, if this were a serious problem, everyone would know it. Amen has been doing his SPECT scans for years. If you talk to mainstream doctors they will tell you that there is no way to see ADHD, bipolar, or autism on any sort of scan and diagnose it. If so, Amen wouldn't be the only one doing it (and profiting handsomely from it). Sadly, there are no tests to find these disorders. I wish there were.

mattsmum

Wasn't there something that recently came out in a medical journal about advancements towards measuing bipolar (I believe) with a blood test? I thought I read that posted here a couple of months ago.

happymomof2

I ordered it last night off of amazon.com. I'll let you know how it is.

Linda

Let me know how it is. I have suffered from Anxiety/Panic attacks since I was 18 and I am now 45. No matter how goofy it sounds, as long as it won't cause me physical harm I am willing to try it.

I don't often admit to having this problem since I feel most people just think I am nuts, but since most of us have difficult child's with all kinds of different emotional problems I feel safe sharing it here.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Mattsmum, I don't recall the specific post, but I've read several news articles in the past few months that are more and more beginning to show physical differences in the brains of children with different disorders. I don't think they've actually got it to the point they can diagnose based on scans, but there's been a lot of news about those with diagnosis'es having different brain scans for typical children. I'd say its coming.

Let me know what you think of the book. I tend to be a "follower", too, but there've been a lot of people thru history that stumbled onto an idea or solution long before it became mainstream. And heck, what can eating pasta hurt?