Has anyone seen "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead"?

DammitJanet

I saw a commercial earlier today about this movie and it said you could watch it online. I just got done watching it and I cried several times during the movie. I am going to try this as soon as I can buy a juicer. If I can lose weight and get some of my physical issues under control, my life would be so different. I might even be able to go back to work!

If you havent seen the movie and think you might be interested, just type in that title and it will come up. You can watch it free online.

trinityroyal

Janet, husband and I watched a movie recently called Hungry For Change. Joe Cross (the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead guy) is one of the experts featured in it. I found it to be very powerful, and it has helped husband and I get back on track with our health goals. My husband has a number of physical and health issues, including about 100 lbs to lose, and he's been making great progress since we watched the movie.

Hungry for Change is available on Netflix if you have a subscription.

Trinity

DammitJanet

Wow I will have to watch that one too. I am hitting walls in my home. No one wants to go along with me. Fairly stupid since Billy is way more overweight than I am and Tony could stand to lose at least 50 pounds himself. I have asked for a juicer for my birthday in January. Im telling you, if I had heard about this about 2 months ago when I got my teeth removed I would have gotten the juicer then. That would have been the perfect time since I can only eat a few things without teeth. My new ones should be in sometime early Jan...lol.

But I tell you, I will give anything a shot that might make me feel better and help get me off some of these medications. I am only getting worse now. Im up half the night and my hips and legs kill me all day long. Drinking juice certainly cant hurt me and if it does help me, I would be on cloud nine.

I noticed a really nce Bella juicer on sale at Target for $69 plus you get a $10 gift card this week. In the meantime, cut up the veggies and eat salads. It may be more filling that way and you can start now without the juicer. Use vinegar as your dressing mixed with a bit of orange marmalade it's so good!

Calamity Jane

Janet,
Do you think you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery? My cousin had the gastro sleeve surgery last year, she followed all the protocols, and has lost 100 lbs. so far. I just saw her after Thanksgiving, and she looks incredible. She's able to eat small portions of most foods, and we met at a restaurant, and she ate like any normal person, just less. The gastro sleeve bypass permanently reduces the size of the stomach, making you full much sooner than most. Many people who are severely overweight are emotional eaters, so routine therapy is part of the treatment as well. She is off all of the medications she was previously taking for diabetes, cholesterol, etc.
There's a show coming on TLC I think, called, "My 600lb. Life" about a woman who decides to have that surgery.

LittleDudesMom

Just added my opinion to the mix. I don't have a juicer but I have a Vitamix. I love it because it's one machine that does everything AND no waste. I put in half an apple with skin and core, half an orange with skin, two hand fulls of spinach, a carrot, some cucumber and some plain greek yogurt and it's delish! I have had one every single morning for over a year now. I change it up and add different fruit (though I keep my fruit percentage down to 20% because of calories and sugar) and different veggies - beet, sweet potato and ginger is great (I always use some greek yogurt and spinach as my base)!

I like the Vitamix because it liquifies everything and the clean up is a snap. No pulp and it has tons of uses. I can make piping hot soup in five minutes, I make my own almond butter with no added sugar, I use it as a food processor too. It is not cheap, but I got mine when it was on it's annual sale summer before last on QVC. They have one day a year in August where the unit is at it's lowest price.

My sister was here this summer and used mine and when and bought one for her husband for Christmas.

If the Vitamix is out of your price range, look into the Ninja (although it won't crush things like strawberry seeds and I think you are limited on what "skins" you can put in as well) or the Breville (they have some "starter" models). With a traditional juicer, you are left with all the pulp (which is where a lot of the vitamins and nutrients are found) waste. The other down side is that traditional juicers are usually a pain to clean.

I must say that the Vitamix is one of the best purchases I have ever made, although it was expensive, it's worth every penny I paid. I make my smoothie/juice every morning and while it's blending I put the stuff back in the fridge and grab a cup of ice -- I add the ice then get my straw and glass - turn the machine off, pour. Take the machine to the sink, add a tad of dish soap and water, blend, rinse with warm water, shake off the top and the tamper and then put it all back and done! Takes less than 5 minutes.

Nomad

Staff member
I saw it and it was very interesting. Awhile ago, I read a simple book by a guy by the last name of Pollan that seems logical to me. He advocates eating mostly fruits and veggies, sometimes in smoothies daily....multiple times a day. But also says to eat very good quality meat (like chicken or fish, primarily), small portion, about twice a week. This is for a variety of reasons, but perhaps the most important is the natural B12. He's not too fond of dairy or bread. Mostly veggies and fruit, some nuts...and tiny portions of good quality animal products (about 2x) a week. I've had a low B12 count multiple times, so I think his thoughts make sense to me. Perhaps the main culprits are sugar and alcohol, followed by bread/flour, eating dairy, too much meat, etc. and not nearly enough fruits and veggies and water. I'm trying hard to follow this diet, which I did once before because my Lupus was hideous at the time and it went into remission. I do think doing the

Nomad

Staff member
I saw it and it was very interesting. Awhile ago, I read a simple book by a guy by the last name of Pollan that seems logical to me. He advocates eating mostly fruits and veggies, sometimes in smoothies daily....multiple times a day. But also says to eat very good quality meat (like chicken or fish, primarily), small portion, about twice a week. This is for a variety of reasons, but perhaps the most important is the natural B12. He's not too fond of dairy or bread. Mostly veggies and fruit, some nuts...and tiny portions of good quality animal products (about 2x) a week. I've had a low B12 count multiple times, so I think his thoughts make sense to me. Perhaps the main culprits are sugar and alcohol, followed by bread/flour, eating dairy, too much meat, etc. and not nearly enough fruits and veggies and water. I'm trying hard to follow this diet, which I did once before because my Lupus was hideous at the time and it went into remission. I do think doing the
....Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead program until you are at goal weight and then adding back good quality meat twice a week (small portion) and staying away from sugar and floor might be a good idea. Also, test your B12' you might have to supplement. Good luck!!!!
by the way, I have my own juicer and do juice sometimes. I also have a Whole Foods near my home and get a juice there once a week. delicious!

DammitJanet

Thanks for replying everyone. Sharon if I could afford the Vitamix I would already have it...lol. I do have one of the smaller Ninja sets but the only thing I have ever managed to do with it is cut the dickens out of myself!

I think my diet will end up like what Nomad said eventually. I dont know if I can do a whole 60 days or not but I figure it cant hurt to try. What is going to be really hard is that I am going to end up having to cut out the diet coke but I know I cant do everything all at once. Im going to first do it so I mix water in between the diet cokes. Then I know things are going to really get serious because I will most likely end up giving up the cigarettes because I cant stand to smoke if I dont have carbonated drinks with them. I hate water! I really cant smoke if Im drinking water. So if all goes well I will pretty much change my life.
Tony isnt thrilled about this because it means there will be no more what he calls good meals. Im not cooking huge meat and tater meals if I am not eating them!

I plan to start this around my birthday in mid January because Tony has agreed to get me a juicer.

greenrene

I've watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and Hungry For Change (and other interesting food documentaries on Netflix - Forks Over Knives, Foodmatters, etc.), and they are both very hard-hitting, enlightening, and inspiring. I asked for (and got!) a really great juicer for Christmas that I can't wait to use. I can't do a full-on juice fast because I'm breastfeeding, but I'm going to start adding it into my diet.

Janet (and everyone, for that matter), you should really watch Hungry For Change as well - it's on Netflix. I've actually watched it several times, and more sinks in each time. One of the biggest points that I take from it is that gradual change is the best because it's more likely to last and become a habit. The best way to start is by adding in the "good stuff," keep adding it in regularly, and there will come a time where the "good stuff" outweighs the bad stuff, and you will actually WANT the good stuff because you realize how good it makes you feel. There's a lot in there about having the right mentality as well - a lot of it hit home for me bigtime.

DammitJanet

I dont have netflix but Billy does so I will see if he will let me watch it in his room. I actually do think I will stick to this when I start because there are people who dont think I can do it and I have a touch of ODD in me. May come in handy! LOL

I do only plan on doing the 30 day fast and if I feel like I can go on, well then I can decide.

LittleDudesMom

Janet, if Billy has streaming nextflix, you can sign on and use his account on your computer. We have netflix and have it on my laptop, difficult child's laptop, my apple tv, difficult child's easy child, and his through his xbox - all one account.

BusynMember

Honest, guys. Don't want to rain on anyone's parade...it's always great to start taking better care of yourself and what you eat is soooo important.

Studies have proven that fad diets don't work because they are not sustainable. As a Weightwatcher member who attained my goal weight, I am still constantly watching what I eat. There is no way to go back to how it was or my weight will come back (I've done that before!). On WW it is less about only eating certain food and more about portion control, tracking what you eat, and, if you can do it, exercise. Now even if you can not work out, there is always something you can do to move better. Some who are wheel chair bound do water exercise or work on weight lifting for their upper body. And WW is a diet you can live with. I've seen amazing weight losses and people who have sustained for long periods of time.

Bariatric surgery is also a good option! I have a friend who will be using it. However, even that will not work if you don't continue to maintain healthy eating and stop overeating.

I have a new motto about food right now: ;) Apples are the new potato chip!!!

DammitJanet

Apples would be part of the plan. The reboot, or fasting with juice, is not the long term plan. The long term plan is to eat a plan where most of your meal is fruit and veggies with the protein being a side dish instead of the other way around. We eat horribly in this country. Most especially in my area of the country.

I like the juice even though I havent actually started the program yet. They sell versions of these juices at stores and they taste really good. I do have one worry though...one of the medications I take has to be taken with a fairly large meal in order for it to break down correctly. Im not sure how I am going to handle that. I have a dr appointment on the second and will talk to my doctor about it.
Really I have not been able to eat very many things since I had all my teeth removed about 2 months ago. I really cant eat veggies except potatoes. Even pasta is difficult unless its a thick type. I have basically been living off of chicken livers, potato salad and two different types of Chinese food. One is steamed dumplings and the other is egg foo young.

I should be getting my dentures soon though so I can eat veggies and fruits. I do know it will take me some time to learn though so its good that I am going to be doing the juicing in the time I am getting used to my teeth.

I have tried weight watchers in the past and it wasnt for me. Believe me I have tried almost every plan out there with very little luck. Remember I lost almost a hundred pounds back in 2003/2004 but because of medication changes I gained it all back. Well not all of it but a good portion.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I saw the movie Janet. I have been fasting and juicing for 30 years. I began when I worked with a Medical Doctor who was a nutritionist and believed in eating live, raw foods. The Fasting he recommended was to clear out the system of toxins while giving the digestive tract a break. There is a lot of empirical evidence that done correctly, juicing and fasting are very healthy for the entire system. I fast every couple of months for 3 days and have for decades. I have done all kinds of juicing over many years and not only do you lose weight, but because of the diet most of us eat which contain fewer and fewer nutrients and more and more processed foods, I have found many other benefits as well.

Good luck with your juicing and let us know how it works for you!

DammitJanet

Thats what I am thinking RE. From what I have read about micronutrients and how much better it is to get them from raw foods, I think it will do my body good. Another thing I am looking forward to is being regular again! I cant remember the last time I was normal in that sense due to my medications. It will also probably take a little longer to get all the toxins out of my body because of my size.